Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Just want to shoot the breeze and fellowship? This is the place!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
superstroke

Default Re: What Does Your Avatar Mean!!

My first avatar was the back of my 69 Ford Galaxie XL which reads "Christine" and this car lives up to her name. While unloading it off the trailer, after going through yet another transmission, it decided to "run-away" with me holding on to her steering wheel. I lost my balance and fell to the floor just in time for "Christine" to run over both my legs. Nothing broken but it did make contact with a boat and trailer sitting behind it and pushed it half way out the door! My second avatar was a side shot of a '35' Chevy panel that I painted "Deep Purple" on, which is one of my favorite bands, and my new avatar is my old logo that I painted on a bunch of race cars in the late 60's and early 70's. RSS stands for Ricks Sign Shop.

Rick Losh "Superstroke"
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
nitro4dave

mine is from my first race car that i drove for h.j. & cher evans. my late friend rick wasilko[w] (correct family spelling) did what i think was his finest lettering jobs on a race car ever. he also lettered my helmet. if you are able to enlarge it i think superstroke would agree, with the way the highlights were and the natural lighting this is a very kool pic. R.I.P. my friend!!
nitro4dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Mitch G.

Al Consoli is a remarkable photographer, and seldom lets his shots used off the internet. This was one of his from his website, it's Ralph Ligouri in the "R-Z Special", at Terre Haute, IN in the mid 1960's. I thought it best represented the "Golden Era" of USAC sprint car racing.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
lakeside #29

Mine is of my Lakeside modified from 1974. This was my second race car. We and I do mean we, as in several of us built the car in 1973. This car was an old Larry Dechant car. It started out as a 1931 Chevy 5-window coupe. That body was damaged at the end of the '73 season and replaced with a '31 3-window that had never been stripped out for a race car. It took a couple of nights just to remove the wood frame work. For '74 I was lucky enough to have Ed Mailo drive for me. Ed had run many laps at Lakeside and I guess it was Karma or Kismet or dumb luck but we had a incredible year in '74. Ed had asked me to buy the #29 and I've had it ever since. Ed had raced since the early '50's and hadn't won a modified main event at Lakeside. I was only in my third year of racing and hadn't won much of anything. Together we won a couple of mains that year. This was probably the fastest car I ever owned in terms of being equal to the best in our class. I've had fast cars since, but not quite like this car. I lost touch in with Ed in the late '70's. In the early '80's cancer claimed Ed and when we decided to build a new car the color sceme and numerals had to be the same. So the present #29 is a tribute to him.
Rest in Peace Ed Mailo

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
dmckim

MINE IS JUST A TRIBUTE TO MY GRANDFATHER MY ULTIMATE HERO.
dmckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
onthegas7j

mine is a tribute to my favorite driver of all time whom we sadly lost in 94 at Winchester
onthegas7j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
rapid30

Mine is just a shot of my car at BCS that I happened to like, it was taken by my son-in-law Justin Hudnall.
rapid30

"Give pint's for half pints", I do
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
GamblerSprintCar

Mine is the 1985 Gambler sprint car I am restoring. All I need is an engine and I will be ready to take it out and display it at some of the area car shows and vintage events. Not easy finding a 25 year old engine.
GamblerSprintCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
numbbers
Old Guy

Just our little show car.

Thanks, Dave Russell
numbbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #20
RJ Butz

After using the Offy one from ARM for a while, and finding this old thread, I was finally motivated to put my own on here. Many of you raced and use your car and thought I'd add my own. My Winston Cup career was virtual, as I never actually raced, but played on many gaming platforms (mostly my PC) and did pretty well. Couple of Daytona 500s and a few Winston Cups using Papyrus' Nascar Racing games. Had more fun painting my cars I think, and this is one of the results I could find on old (obsolete!) discs. My favorite beverage my sponsor and no one uses #13 much. Liked Dale Sr's 3 so used it laying back(looks better). Have more designs somewhere with several different (Coke) alternative schemes for me to run. Wanted to really race but just no $!! Anyway - my hat's off to you guys that really did it!! Rock on!
RJ Butz is offline   Reply With Quote