Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Dupont Speedway - Denver, CO.

Here's an old long lost Colorado race track I'd like to learn more about, Dupont Speedway.

The track was once located 5 miles North/East of downtown Denver on Brighton Road, and operated from 1932 - 1941.

According to Allan E. Brown's America's Speedways - Past & Present (1994 edition), Dupont Speedway started out as a 1/2 mile dirt oval in 1932. Later that year, new grandstands were built and the track was reconfigured into a 5/8 mile high banked paved oval. The owner was Ray Bradbury. Also according to the book, this track was the first asphalt track in the U.S. The facility not only hosted auto racing, but motorcycle races as well.

This is all I know about Dupont Speedway. Please add any info you might know about this long lost race track.

Thanks to the "Wayback Machine", I was able to retrieve these two newspaper ads which are credited to the Wes Johnson collection. The ads are from June/July 1932.

(Wes Johnson collection)

(Wes Johnson collection)

At the time, everyone must have known where this place was as the ads don't mention the location of the track.

Quite the sign of the times when they had "Vaudeville Acts" to entertain the crowd between races.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 11-06-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Nostalgic Mike
Rookie

Default Re: Dupont Speedway - Denver, CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
Here's an old long lost Colorado race track I'd like to learn more about, Dupont Speedway.

The track was once located 5 miles North/East of downtown Denver on Brighton Road, and operated from 1932 - 1941.

According to Allan E. Brown's America's Speedways - Past & Present (1994 edition), Dupont Speedway started out as a 1/2 mile dirt oval in 1932. Later that year, new grandstands were built and the track was reconfigured into a 5/8 mile high banked paved oval. The owner was Ray Bradbury. Also according to the book, this track was the first asphalt track in the U.S. The facility not only hosted auto racing, but motorcycle races as well.

This is all I know about Dupont Speedway. Please add any info you might know about this long lost race track.

Thanks to the "Wayback Machine", I was able to retrieve these two newspaper ads which are credited to the Wes Johnson collection. The ads are from June/July 1932.

(Wes Johnson collection)

(Wes Johnson collection)

At the time, everyone must have known where this place was as the ads don't mention the location of the track.

Quite the sign of the times when they had "Vaudeville Acts" to entertain the crowd between races.
I have been in the research process now for about 5 years on Dupont Speedway but as it sometimes is, I am hitting more deadends than finding success. I have exhausted the mocrofische at the Colorado history library where this track is concrned.. IF ANYBODY has knowledge or knows anyone that could be of assistance, with old ticket stub s or possible programs, articles, pictures, etc that I can use, please contact me at pdqzbra57@netzero.net and we can set up to meet and talk. This also applies to a lot more info on the old Brighton Speedway. I know I have a nice colection of info and some pics from there but I still want more. There was a woman I met at last years (2011) CVOR show at CNS who has a small photo album of some new stuff for Brighton and what may have been Dupont tho we weren't real sure. I look forward to meeting anyone wo can be od help and you will receive full credit for any material given... Mike B
Nostalgic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Nostalgic Mike
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Mike View Post
I have been in the research process now for about 5 years on Dupont Speedway but as it sometimes is, I am hitting more deadends than finding success. I have exhausted the mocrofische at the Colorado history library where this track is concrned.. IF ANYBODY has knowledge or knows anyone that could be of assistance, with old ticket stub s or possible programs, articles, pictures, etc that I can use, please contact me at pdqzbra57@netzero.net and we can set up to meet and talk. This also applies to a lot more info on the old Brighton Speedway. I know I have a nice colection of info and some pics from there but I still want more. There was a woman I met at last years (2011) CVOR show at CNS who has a small photo album of some new stuff for Brighton and what may have been Dupont tho we weren't real sure. I look forward to meeting anyone wo can be od help and you will receive full credit for any material given... Mike B
I have just received some new stuff on Dupont Speedway from Mr Dick kreck and had a nice chat with Leroy Byers who actually raced there back in early days. I will be meeting with him after the racing season is done to see what all he has that I can add to this thread and to my display boards Stay tuned fr further developments
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

That's great news Mike, can't wait to see/read what these guys have to share about this track.
Leroy is a great contact when it comes to early Colorado auto racing history.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Nostalgic Mike
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
That's great news Mike, can't wait to see/read what these guys have to share about this track.
Leroy is a great contact when it comes to early Colorado auto racing history.
I also want to try and get the word out about Brighton Speedway which of course was the old Adams County Faigrounds in Brighton on 4th and Jessup streets. A couple of years back, at the CVOR show at CNS, a woman stopped by my booth with a small picture album that she had picked up at an estate sale. It had many phtos of Brighton Speedway plus another track we were not to sure of.. I have lost all my contact info from this lady and I hope somehow sh might see this, since I gave her this sites info so she could se all the great stuff. If anyone that reads this, who migh know who I am referring to, will contact her for me and have her call 303-659-8416 or email me at pdqzbra57@ntzero.net I sure would appreciate it!!! I will be postin the new Dupont stuff soon, so be patient...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Wow gang! From the "Ask and Ye Shall Receive" file come these great pics from Dupont Speedway during the 1930's. Some real cool stuff here.

Don Radbruch originally had these pics and Bob Lawrence is now going through many of these photos to get them properly identified. ARM member "Nostalgic Mike" Bremkamp has started to send me some of these images to share with you and the world! I'll post them as I get them. Thank you guys.

Dig another great era in auto racing history.......

Lloyd Axel & crew (l) and Vick Felt & crew c.1935.

Art Martinson 1935.

Sam Hoffman #24 & Gus Schrader #5 c.1935.

Dupont Speedway action c.1935.

Walt Killinger 1937.

Lloyd Axel wins the 50 mile race. Memorial Day 1933.

Gus Schrader c.1935.

Clyde Gilbert c.1937
Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
rapid30

These are way cool Jerry, thanks to you and Mike for sharing.
Bruce

"Give pint's for half pints", I do
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
nitro4dave

so after seeing this and the midget buried thread, this walt killinger tried to take the #8 from ronnie lee?
nitro4dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
sramoa

I found about Dupont Speedway:Operated in 1923(I don't have more date),later from 20th May 1932 to 1934 and more from 1939 to 1941.
sramoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
sramoa

Anybody has got more infos about this track's results,etc...?

Last edited by sramoa; 11-24-2013 at 02:22 AM.
sramoa is offline   Reply With Quote