Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
Flagman
Rookie

Default Re: Ghosts of Race Tracks gone by.

I like and dislike seeing the pics of closed tracks. The history that took place at those hallowed grounds is fascinating. I still dream of Lakeside coming back to life. I miss those hot summer Sunday nights watching the coupes run.
Flagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Ghosts of Race Tracks gone by.

Please add your ghost tracks to this thread! Make sure to include a bit of information about the track, pictures of the track in operation and pictures of the track in it's current form.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 AM   #23
jraney

Default Re: The Ghosts of old race tracks

Here are some photos of the old Langhorne Speedway in Langhorne, Pa. The red circle shows where the track used to be. I was fortunate enough to be at the champ car races from 61-71
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	langhorne_speedway.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	965   Click image for larger version

Name:	langhorne_68.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	966  
jraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
Mitch G.

Check out my newly edited post, on the closing of Ascot Speedway. Cary Agajanian, son of truly legendary J.C. Agajanian, contacted me about the accurate story behind the end of the speedway. I have to tell you, Cary is one of the nicest most patient and friendly people I've had the pleasure to speak to. It was amazing to relive many memories of that wonderful track with someone so directly involved with such a historic speedway.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
indybigjohn

You will never find anyone connected with motorsports who is as much a gentleman as Cary Agajanian. I was a great fan of his father, who befriended me one night at the Fairgrounds Motor Speedway in Louisville, and he is a credit to his father's memory.
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #26
indybigjohn

The Fairgrounds Motor Speedway at Louisville, Ky. Opened in 1961, closed after the 1980 season when the state fair board declined to renew the lease. Said they wanted to build horse barns on the site. 30 years later, I think it's still a parking lot. Practically lived there, much of the time as starter/flagman. The irony of the situation is, as I understand it, an audit later disclosed that the speedway was the only entity on the fairgrounds property which actually showed a profit for the state over several of those 20 years. This photo was taken after the expansion from 1/4 to 1/3-mile. I don't think you'll ever see another track built so close to a major city.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

With all the people there, it looks like they needed to extend the grandstands to have more seats. I always like to see that cross in the middle of the track.
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #28
Nostalgic Mike
Rookie

This shot is of Turn 3 at the old Century 21 Race track. I was stationed over in Germany at the time this track was in operation and never did get the chance to see any races run. I have been told though that the track was scary fast for all divisions. My son Scott and I took a day several years back and walked the place getting pictures and wondering what it must ave been like for the spectators and drivers! You can hardly make out any part of the figure 8 that was there. What's left of the seating was just the pedestal that the bucket seats were bolted to! It was fun just taking time to wlak the area, but sad to knwo that a great race track just sis there now, tree and weed infested and so quiet and dormant! I hope someone has some of the pictures from when thr track was open and running to add to the "before factor" IF any one wnats to see more of the 50 some odd pics we took there on that day, just ask and we can ad them here or I would be happy to email them to you. The stories that this track can tell even in it's very short life span!!...Mike B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001736.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1476  
Nostalgic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #29
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Mike View Post
I hope someone has some of the pictures from when thr track was open and running to add to the "before factor"
I think there are several images of Century 21 floating around ARM in various threads. Here is a thread dedicated to the track.

I was lucky enough to go there several times when I was a kid. It was a really neat place.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
indybigjohn

While we're talking about ghost tracks, how about the "old" Atlanta Motor Speedway? I know there's a 1.5-mile track there now, but it's a "cookie cutter" style track. They took one of the best tracks away when they reconfigured that oval. Not enough pure ovals on the NASCAR circuit now. I remember the first time ASA ran there in conjunction with CART. After I got up on the flagstand, Rex Robbins keyed his radio and said, "What's it look like, Potts?"

I told him it looked like Salem with a thyroid problem.