Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
VintageBuzz

Default Re: Love those '55 Chevys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83x View Post
Remember back in the 60's and 70's when you could buy a complete 55 out of the junk yards for $50.00
Hey 83X. Thanks for all you fine #83 photos and those of the other "Shoebox Chevy" teams that ran at tracks down in the Colorado Springs area.

In Cheyenne, we could buy the pick of the litter at our local junkyard for $25.00 with extra hoods and fenders thrown in just for the asking. I should have saved all those bench seats, chrome body-trim parts, hood ornaments, radios, speedometer clusters, dash-trim, T-3 headlamps, etc. ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
83x

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBuzz View Post
Hey 83X. Thanks for all you fine #83 photos and those of the other "Shoebox Chevy" teams that ran at tracks down in the Colorado Springs area.

In Cheyenne, we could buy the pick of the litter at our local junkyard for $25.00 with extra hoods and fenders thrown in just for the asking. I should have saved all those bench seats, chrome body-trim parts, hood ornaments, radios, speedometer clusters, dash-trim, T-3 headlamps, etc. ~VB
I know what your saying. I wish I had a few of those 55's back. A few years ago i added up how many 55's and 56's I had owned, came up with 10 some of them were street cars not all stock cars.
83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
Mike Croley

These photos just prove what i've always said , there has never been a better looking stock car than a 55 , 56 , or 57 Chevy .
Bill , you've made my day again , and thanks to everyone for posting those photos . Please keep em coming .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
rapid30

Buzz,
I rememeber Wade's USA-1 car, but Jacks was before my time.
Bruce

"Give pint's for half pints", I do
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
VintageBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid30 View Post
Buzz,
I rememeber Wade's USA-1 car, but Jacks was before my time.
Bruce
Jack Hahn (Cheyenne, WY) is probably best known for building and driving his sprint cars. But in 1964, Jack teamed up with Bernard Conway (Cheyenne, WY) and together they dethroned ace-driver Kenny Clark #13 (Cheyenne, WY) for a C-Class Track-Championship at Intermountain Speedway.
In the years 1965 through 1971, Kenny Clark #13 ruled the C-Class Track-Championship. Kenny was not dethroned again until 1972 by Billy Noud #98 (Cheyenne, WY). Jack finished 5th in points in 1965; and in 1966, Jack turned his retired #64 over to rookie-driver Bill McHone #42 (Cheyenne, WY), who then gave chase to Kenny Clark #13 for years to come.
As a side note, Bernard Conway was himself a legend, as he teamed up with Johnny Woodhouse (Cheyenne, WY) as the Conway-Woodhouse drag racing team known as The Soda-Pop Gang. Together, and with Jack's counsel, Conway-Woodhouse produced some of the finest NHRA AA-Altered record-holding roadsters every built in the Rocky Mountain area. Conway-Woodhouse also campaigned a wickedly-fast C-Gas '55 Chevy in the late '60s at the CTA Dragway located in Cheyenne, WY.
If anyone has information and/or photos for Jack Hahn and Conway-Woodhouse, please share them with us here at ARM.
This photo of Jack and his #64 comes from the WARC History Book on page #133. ~VB

Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #26
rapid30

Although it is not a stock car, it is a beautiful 55 that I thought was worth sharing here.
rapid30
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flag-cars-500-6[1].jpg
Views:	180
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	3231  

Old 07-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #27
83x

Couldn't resist love the looks of those old Chevy's
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	3232  
83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #28
superstroke

Danny Schleers Chevy from the late 60's. I think (but not sure) that this picture was taken in front of Sam Sauers house. I think (but not sure) that Sam Sauer drove this car. I think (but not sure) that Bruce Rhoades has more information about this car......HELP!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	schleer038.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	3269  

Rick Losh "Superstroke"
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
VintageBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstroke View Post
Danny Schleers Chevy from the late 60's. I think (but not sure) that this picture was taken in front of Sam Sauers house. I think (but not sure) that Sam Sauer drove this car. I think (but not sure) that Bruce Rhoades has more information about this car......HELP!
Thanks superstroke! That's a nice photo of a 'thru' as in 55-thru-57 Chevys. I used to belong to the Classic Chevy Club years ago and the members who owned '56 Chevys always referred to them as a 'thru'. I always thought that hidden gas cap behind the taillight of a 'thru' was so neat and unique. ~VB

Hey Webby. If you're reading this, please change this thread to "Love those '55, '56, and '57 Chevys. Thanks... ~VB
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
rapid30

I spoke with Tim Schleer this morning and he said that Danny built this 56 4 door as his first as his first car. The car is parked in front of their Grandma's house on 32nd & Meade St. in Horth Denver, Tim said that Danny built the car in Grandma's garage which was right next door to the house they lived in. Tim said he was in Jr. High school when Danny built this car and that Danny was the driver.
rapid30