Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > General Discussion about Racing History

General Discussion about Racing History Vintage auto racing has a very special place in most race fans heart and mind. The cars, the drivers, the spills and thrills. Please share your auto racing memories. Feel free to start threads/topics in this forum that are non-specific to drivers, cars, or tracks.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Amazing vintage crash photos

Usually we don't dwell on crashes, no one wants to see a driver hurt or equipment destroyed. However, most photographers would probably agree some of their most spectacular work would be capturing that moment in time where a driver is surviving his worst nightmare, and his car probably isn't.
Open Wheel Magazine put out 2 special issues of "Roll, Crash, and Burn" magazine, one in 1987, another in 1989, here are some samples.

Duncan was nearly 70 years old (well before arm restraints, eh!) and the car got over 20 feet in the air.

By 1965 most sprint cars were of pretty modern construction, Carl Bailey was badly injured (the only crash photo I'll use with a driver badly injured in this thread), but he had no business in a pre world war II, rail frame on a one mile paved oval, in my opinion, note his goggles are torn off.

loved the mid 60's NASCAR races, this was a spectacular video as well.

Phil Barkdoll filps out of a Daytona race in 1987, David Tucker photo.

Stan Hanson catches a sprinter in mid flight at Ascot, Not sure but it may be female driver Vickie Creech.

This great Mike Arthur shot is from his book, "Old School Vol.1 1971-1977"
So, check out these amazing photos, add some of your own, lots of amazing stuff out there, interesting history of the sport.

Last edited by Mitch G.; 09-14-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
webby
Administrator

Default Re: "Wreckin!

Man... those are some wild shots. It's amazing that either driver survived!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Mitch G.

Had to include our esteemed member, Larry Dunham, what a spectacular photo, caught the car at full speed, mid flip in mid air!!!

Larry knows he's in trouble, he's trying to get on the floor board, he is ducking hard!!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
indybigjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Usually we don't dwell on crashes, no one wants to see a driver hurt or equipment destroyed. However, most photographers would probably agree some of their most spectacular work would be capturing that moment in time where a driver is surviving his worst nightmare, and his car probably isn't.
Open Wheel Magazine put out 2 special issues of "Roll, Crash, and Burn" magazine, one in 1987, another in 1989, here are some samples.

Duncan was nearly 70 years old (well before arm restraints, eh!) and the car got over 20 feet in the air.

By 1965 most sprint cars were of pretty modern construction, Carl Bailey was badly injured (the only crash photo I'll use with a driver badly injured in this thread), but he had no business in a pre world war II, rail frame on a one mile paved oval, in my opinion, note his goggles are torn off.

loved the mid 60's NASCAR races, this was a spectacular video as well.

Phil Barkdoll filps out of a Daytona race in 1987, David Tucker photo.

Stan Hanson catches a sprinter in mid flight at Ascot, Not sure but it may be female driver Vickie Creech.

This great Mike Arthur shot is from his book, "Old School Vol.1 1971-1977"
So, check out these amazing photos, add some of your own, lots of amazing stuff out there, interesting history of the sport.

That Cale Yarborough-Sam McQuagg photo in the 1965 Southern 500 is pretty special for me. The following year I helped Harry Hyde a bit with the first K&K car at Daytona. I was sitting on the pit wall timing car, and Cale happened to sit down beside me. We became friends of a sort that week, as he was in the garage stall next to us.

We were talking about the 1965 season, and he told me he led every race he was in that year. I recalled that crash at Darlington (which was in the movie "Red Line 7000"), and said I didn't think he led that one.

He said, "No, I never led a lap. But Sam and I were fighting for the lead when that crash happened, and I was ahead of him when I went over that wall."
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Neat thread Mitch, but indeed, we don't want to see our drivers hurt or their equipment destroyed.

Here's just a few "spectaculars" from my albums....

(J.L. McGuire collection) Len Winters looks like he was dropped from an airplane in
this 1951 endo.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Dennis Wilson in 1969.

(Eddie Biondi collection) Wow!

(J.L. McGuire collection) Junior Reeder's brand new Bell helmet broke and flew off during
this 1972 flip.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Archie Romero destroys his Stocker in 1961.

(Eddie Biondi collection) Hanging ten in 1956.

(Irwin Fogel collection)

(J.L. McGuire collection) If you look close at #15, it looks as though his belts have come
loose and he's hanging on to the steering column for dear life as he starts to fly out of the
opening side door!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Amazing vintage crash photos

I changed the title of this thread just a little so it might be easier to find when folks search the internet. Great stuff guys, keep the pics coming!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
bobjeffreson

From Sydney Australia's Westmead Speedway.
A famous midget of the day was the #2 BERCO Holden. It was also famous for some amazing crashes.

Lew Marshall 1967....

Howard Revell 1968/9?.....

At the Sydney Showground.
Len Brock 1960s ?.....

Last edited by bobjeffreson; 09-15-2012 at 06:31 PM.
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
bobjeffreson

The BERCO #2 midget as it looks today.....

If this pic is out of place here, please move to another thread Webby.

Last edited by bobjeffreson; 09-15-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
bobjeffreson

A famous 1960s photo from the Sydney Showground.
Bob Holt gets plenty of air. Check out his driving attire.
What about the driver in the bottom right of shot.....he's saying something like..." what the...."

All the drivers pictured above escaped serious injury.

Last edited by bobjeffreson; 09-15-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
webby
Administrator

Is he wearing shorts???