Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > General Discussion about Racing History

General Discussion about Racing History Vintage auto racing has a very special place in most race fans heart and mind. The cars, the drivers, the spills and thrills. Please share your auto racing memories. Feel free to start threads/topics in this forum that are non-specific to drivers, cars, or tracks.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
Mitch G.

Default Re: Amazing vintage crash photos

Bob, that was Jim Rigsby, and it was a fatal, the car landed hundreds of feet outside the speedway, (Dayton, OH. I think), and it burned. One horrible crash for sure. Lee, your photo's are excellent, that last Eldora crash is brutal.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
stick500

IIRC the same day Rigsby died in that qualifying wreck in Dayton another driver also got killed during that same session in a similar crash and then it was either Johnny Parsons or Duane Carter who went out and set a track record after the two fatalities

definitely a different time back then- not that I was around then, just remember reading about that day....
stick500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #23
unclebuck50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick500 View Post
IIRC the same day Rigsby died in that qualifying wreck in Dayton another driver also got killed during that same session in a similar crash and then it was either Johnny Parsons or Duane Carter who went out and set a track record after the two fatalities

definitely a different time back then- not that I was around then, just remember reading about that day....
I believe your referring to the race at Winchester where Bill Mackey and Cecil Green were killed. The accident you show was from Dayton Speedway. It was Duane Carter who set the record.
unclebuck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
parrot

Mitch, interesting thread. Had a similar piece I was considering about Denver's Lakeside Speedway cars that "left the park", but this venue just the right spot. I for one didn't think that cars on that short paved track could get upside down often, much less airborne and over that three row guard rail, but I was wrong. During all those years I was never there when it happened until much later, but thanks to quick track photographers like Scotty Duncan and Dave Allinger those events are on record. Here are some of those in the 'Over the Wall Club'.

Don't know who was the first to go over, but earliest I'm aware of was 1956 when Lloyd King in #42 cleared the rail at the north end of the track just past the north entrance. Almost appears as if he used a ramp, and amazingly managed to land on all four wheels! #92 is Bill Brown, #44 Gus Thomas and I think #87 Billy Vaughn.

At least a couple of guys made it over in grand style. During the 1957 season one of the more publisized was the '32 Hudson #4 driven by Blu Plemons, who slid down the backstretch rail, clipping the track lights before crashing against the base of the grandstand in the northeast corner. This Denver Post photo shows the results!

The photo of the Jim Malloy driven #33 Vicky wadded up between the guard rail and the grandstand has been posted a number of times on past track program's "Remember When" pages. The third photo here, also from 1957, shows him in the air on his way to that rude nose down landing. #53 is Bruce Ruth, #55 Bob Piscitella and #29 Sammy Gallo.

Photo four from 1963 shows Ronnie Tomsic in Bob McDowell's #14 heading over the rail just past the north entrance. Others are team car #35 Corky Blair, #90 Bart Manley, #120 either Joe Garone or Dick Pisccitella and #4 Blu Plemons.

Last photo is from 1968 showing Tom Pryor Jr. taking a spectacular spill, barrel rolling the fiberglass bodied #3 over the north east wall coming to rest at the base of the grandstand at about the same spot where Blu Plemons landed in '57. #4 Blu and #78 Charles Palmer scoot by underneath. This one happened right in front of me and got my heart rate up a few tics! Resilient Tommy was immediately out of the car and up to the rail before the crash crew got there.

Others in the coupes/sedans who got over the wall, or would have had it not been for the fencing just on the other side in places include Frank Denning, Bobby Wallace, Bob Foulk, and Jay Saxton. I've probably overlooked a few.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#42 Over Wall.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	3966   Click image for larger version

Name:	#4 1957 Newspaper.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	3967   Click image for larger version

Name:	#33 over wall 1957.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	3968   Click image for larger version

Name:	#14 Over Wall.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	3969   Click image for larger version

Name:	#3 Over Wall.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	3970  

parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #25
Mitch G.

Bill,
I remember dad talking about the Plemmons crash. The area outside the guardrail looked small, but dad said the car rolled a couple times when it got over the wall!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
webby
Administrator

I saw this on Facebook with no description. Anyone have any idea what, who, when??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vintage-flip.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	4144  
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
Mitch G.

Yikes! never seen that one before, hard to tell what year and what track, I'd guess mid 30's, could even be late 1920's. Does not look good for that driver.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #28
Mitch G.

A historian on Facebook states the driver is Bill Cassidy, the track is Arden Downs in Washington, PA. Said the driver was only slightly injured, no year given.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #29
Joe Starr

This was in California. I believe it was shortly after WWII. The driver survived.
Second image is the same driver at San Bernardino.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STARR_002.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	4152   Click image for larger version

Name:	STARR_003.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	4153  

Last edited by Joe Starr; 12-19-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Added second image
Joe Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #30
Mitch G.

Neat shots Joe! Looks like both photo's are San Bernardino, that track had a relatively tall wooden guardrail around it. The 2nd photo looks like the #16 and #15 could Leonard Faas team cars, Perry Grimm and Walk Faulkner (amongst many other top open wheel drivers) drove for Faas.