Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: Englewood Speedway - Denver Colorado

(Englewood Public Library/Englewood Herald) Doesn't look like too much thought went into
this float representing Englewood Speedway for this May 1959 parade. According to the
sign on the side, the theme for the float is "Present & Future Englewood Speedway". It's
really just 1958 "Englewood Speedway Queen" Barbara Mussrallah sitting atop a pile of flowers.
It doesn't even look like anyone's driving the float. Cool truck though.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
Bob333

You mentioned "claimers" but the first year(1971) they were " BANANA CARS" w/ a 50.00 claimer for any car that took the green for the main. Car could be claimed by another driver, pitman, or any one in the stands. You could keep your battery and "belts". This was seat belts that were racing belts to leather belts (pants belts). One guy had a regular car seat belt and no shoulder harness, as these were optional. After about six wrecks where he got knocked out he finally put in a shoulder harness. The reason these were called banana cars was because we used the front straight, both turs and the back of the x. Turn two made a left towards the x, at the x made a right towards turn three, FUNNNNNNNNN YES. Basic racing rules NO glass or side crome, seat belt, if you run an auto trans must have a catch pan under entire tranny, must leave a seven inch track on all 4 tires and if not covered in these rules you can't do it. PERIOD. Cage was one hoop behind drivers seat and one diagonal along drivers door minimum, other bars optional, NO bars outside drivers compartment.
Also the mini cars(imports) for the first race Rich Codner had stipped a car but no cage. with only three cars showing up Rich asked my brother if he would like to drive a car with no cage? My brother said show me the car. He had to take the battery out of my street car for this RACE CAR. He didn't do much in the race as the car died on about lap 3 of 6 laps.
Bob333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
webby
Administrator

Bob thanks for the input but it's easier to follow if you don't quote the entire post in your subsequent post. I edited your post for you.

Don't worry.... we all do it when we are first posting.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #24
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Pete Brandenburg gave me a stack of these 1961 Englewood Speedway programs when I was just a kid in the late '60's. I wish I was old enough at the time to really take care of them, as there are some missing from this collection from over the years, but I'm happy I still at least have these. The cool thing about these programs is that ALL of the times and each race result is written inside.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
Mitch G.

Wow! That is a fantastic collection, I can't say I've ever seen any of those programs, nice gift JerryLee!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #26
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Wes Johnson collection) 1947 newspaper article on the building of a race track
at the corner of West Oxford & South Clay St. in Sheridan, CO.

(Wes Johnson collection) Probably the very first newspaper ad for a brand new
race track known as Englewood Speedway on June 12, 1947. Although the first official race
was ran on Memorial Day 1947 (on the asphalt base) the track was finally ready to go for
the "Grand Opening" on Sunday, June 15, 1947. Indeed, Englewood started as an asphalt track.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #27
Mitch G.

That's some important history right there Jerry Lee! A lot of people have forgotten, or did not know the origins of Englewood Speedway.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #28
Mitch G.

Here's some more Englewood Speedway documentation.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #29
Jeff Urquhart

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

I don't see any recent posts from Chris? id like to put this out to anyone on the site. and I pray Chris is well and receives my post. Thank you for any help....Chris: I am Jeff Urquhart son of "Sonny"-Leonard Urquhart, he passed away this year and I am looking to see if there is any pics of him when he was young in any of the pics you have access to? I also would love to find pics of Chucks cars painted by Sharon Mercer my aunt? the Charlie brown/Snoopy. I do remember you and the respect my father had for you. as a adult I was able to put a car on Lakeside and a short stent at Colorado national, selling my car to Tim Mercer witch he ran for a few years. I hope all Is well with you and its great finding a Sr member of Colorado's racing community as you here. Thank you for any help
Jeff Urquhart is online now Report Post
Jeff Urquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #30
AV8er
One Post Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside #29 View Post
The Englewood Saturday night Late Model/Figure 8 show in the '70's had to one the best, if not the best weekly shows in the country. The stands would be packed, the pits would be full, and the action seemed endless. They had a huge consession stand behind the main grandstand that was always crowded. There was a weekly souvenir program that was edited by Rich Codner's wife Candy, She ran a gossip column that really pushed the limits. It was a status synbol to be included, but it could be very embarasing. I used to wonder how many lawsuits were filed.
I remember one night when announcer Jerry VanDyke told the crowd that they had just finished timing 60 figure 8 cars and 38 late models. Car counts like that were generally about that high on a weekly basis.
The pits parties after the races would go on and on, Rich Codner would turn off he lights, but nobody would leave. It was unreal.
Another treat at Englewood, at least in the pits, were "Sam's Burritos'. Sam Soria was the gateman on the east pit gate onto Clay Street, he was also a heck of a cook. He would make burritos and bring cooler loads of them and sell them outside the pit gate. They were $.50 each. What a deal, they were great.
I had a lot of fun at Englewood, I really miss it.

Chris Ertler
Oh yeah! Those were the best burrito's ever. I've tried to duplicate them many times without success. I especially loved the green chili ones with pork. If I could only find the recipe. Anyone know if Sam is still around, or his family would be willing to share?

Cheers,
Michael Roe
My father (Art Roe) raced at Englewood for many years.
AV8er is offline   Reply With Quote