Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Default IRP dirt track 1961

I had the good fortune to see what may have been the only dirt race at Indianapolis raceway park. It was 05/28/1961 2 day before the 500. My dad was fortunate to have Alex Morales tow the "tamale Wagon" from So Cal for this race. I remember JIm hurtibise not wanting to race because he couldn't gfind his St. Christopher medal. Bob Cleburg drove the Barnett Bros. car and finsihed third. My dada ran 2nd and Foyt ran away with the show.
The other thing I remember was that after the start of the feature, the crowd couldn't see a thing due to the dust. I was in the middle section (start/finish) and couldn'e see either turn
Hutibise must have found his medal, 2 days later he started outside row 1 and INDY and led the first 30 laps or so.
Lee
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links