Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
superstroke

Default Roy Jackson #45 Lakeside pile-up with #20 driven by ?

From the Roy Jackson collection, here is a shot of Roy, climbing out of his #45 modified, after a collision with #20, unknown driver, and another car. This all took place at Colorados Lakeside Speedway, I would guess in the late 60's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roy jackson 037.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	348  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
carc7

Default Re: Roy Jackson #45 Lakeside pile-up with #20 driven by ?

The #20 car was Mike Dreith's car. Roy Jackson drove the 45 car at Lakeside in '68, '69, and '70 against this car. In '68, the car was a dark maroon or burgundy car and was driven by Gene Corley from Fort Collins. In '69 and '70, the car was black. This photo seems to indicate black rather than the burgundy color. #20 was driven in '69 by Don Johnson and in '70, became the last car driven at Lakeside by Larry Balderston. I don't see any other clues to indicated which of those two it might be.
Gene Corley told me how they would spend Sunday afternoon and evening getting the car dialed in and handling pretty well. Mike Dreith would mess with the car during the week and at hot laps the next week would be undriveable! Mike was a body man and, accoring to Gene, probably should have left the mechanical work to others.
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
superstroke

Yea, there were plenty of guys who had TINKERIDUS. Mike Dreith and his son Doug, became close friends of mine when I raced at Lakeside. Mike pulled my car with his motorhome to Cheyenne when the club made their appearances up there. Doug took care of the body and paint work and was also a great pit crew member, always willing to stay up on those nights that yours truly would wrinkle the car. Mike passed away in the 90's. I miss him alot.
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
schafer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstroke View Post
Yea, there were plenty of guys who had TINKERIDUS. Mike Dreith and his son Doug, became close friends of mine when I raced at Lakeside. Mike pulled my car with his motorhome to Cheyenne when the club made their appearances up there. Doug took care of the body and paint work and was also a great pit crew member, always willing to stay up on those nights that yours truly would wrinkle the car. Mike passed away in the 90's. I miss him alot.
The 20 was still maroon in 1970 and was sold to Darrell Carver after that season and become the 99 for 1 season, don't know where it went after that?
schafer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
schafer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carc7 View Post
The #20 car was Mike Dreith's car. Roy Jackson drove the 45 car at Lakeside in '68, '69, and '70 against this car. In '68, the car was a dark maroon or burgundy car and was driven by Gene Corley from Fort Collins. In '69 and '70, the car was black. This photo seems to indicate black rather than the burgundy color. #20 was driven in '69 by Don Johnson and in '70, became the last car driven at Lakeside by Larry Balderston. I don't see any other clues to indicated which of those two it might be.
Gene Corley told me how they would spend Sunday afternoon and evening getting the car dialed in and handling pretty well. Mike Dreith would mess with the car during the week and at hot laps the next week would be undriveable! Mike was a body man and, accoring to Gene, probably should have left the mechanical work to others.
if it was 69 or 70 Don Johnson drove it, not the one from miami vice either!
schafer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Daisy1125

Mike was my grandfather I am Doug's daughter it is nice to read these posts about my grandpa and dad lol and yes my grandpa was much better at body work than mechanics. My dad still does body work for a living just now on semi's we have over the years had race car's at CNS and I grew up around racing. I am too young to remember lakeside but it's always nice to hear the stories :-)
Daisy1125 is offline   Reply With Quote