Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Dan

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.
Red face Re: Manzanita Speedway-Another Ghost Track?

Good article on a great track, but I must to a little correcting; Manzanita sat idle in 1961 when Harry Redkey, and partner Nick Roberts signed a lease to re-open the track. Redkey started paying a $1,000 purse, against 40% of the gate. Everyone told him he was crazy, but he wanted the drivers from South Mountain Speedway to come over immediately. He was successful from the first race on, and South Mountain closed soon after. He also put the jalopies on Channel 5, live, I believe, and everyone told him he was crazy. The stands on Friday and Saturday were full from the first day through virtually his entire lease, which went to February, 1966, not 1965, when Keith Hall bought Redkey's lease and then bought the track.
Just wanted everyone to know Manzanita Speedway was saved from extinction by Harry Redkey, then made even more successful by Keith Hall through the 70's and 80's. Mel Martin was offered decent money to sell to a racer, but turned it down for even more money, thereby closing what was arguably the greatest dirt track in the country. Yeah, I know Ascot was great, as is Knoxville and others, but Manzy was special.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Oggies Offy
@Larrys50thPIR

Smile Re: Manzanita Speedway-Another Ghost Track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Been to Manzy several times, scary fast, sprint cars right rear tire would "expand" like a top fuel dragster as they went down the front chute! A.J. Fort, Johnny Rutherford, Bobby and Al Unser, Parnelli Jones, and dozens of other legends all raced at Manzanita. Here are a few artifacts from the great track.
A program cover from the Western in 2002, a USAC midget program from 1964 (I was there!), and a couple of pages from inside the program, check out the track records in 1964. Billy Allen dumps his CRA sprint car in 1979, and 3 sprint legends duke it out in 1981, Dean Thompson in #1, Larry Clark #17, and Lealand McSpadden in #16. A darn shame, the track was a huge piece of American short track racing history.
My 1st race at Manzy was sat night March 21, 1964 ... then the 1st Indy Car race at Phoenix International Raceway the next day March 22,1964... I have attended Phoenix Raceway now for 51 straight years Mar.1964--Mar. 2015
Oggies Offy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
Mitch G.

Default Re: Manzanita Speedway-Another Ghost Track?

Weird! I was at both those tracks, the same time you were. I was 3! my mom and dad used to drive to Phoenix from Denver every year for the champ car race on the mile dirt oval at the fairgrounds, from the late 1950's till they opened Phoenix International. We went to a USAC midget race at Manzy, the next day we drove to PIR, but the grandstands were sold out, my grandmother was with us as well, Dad did not want to make her sit on "Rattle Snake hill", so we left without seeing the 1st ever champ car race at PIR. I still have the program from the USAC midget show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manzymag.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	4344  
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote