Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
TPF

Default Jack Burch modified 1978

Here is the Jack Burch modified I worked on in 1978. Jack bought this car from Glen Sterling in the winter of 78 and was rebuilt by Jack myself Frank Lee ans George Manwaring. Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan16.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	466
Pictured L/R Me, Tim Fogarty, Frank Lee,Jack Burch and George Manwaring.
Sadly Jack lost his life in this car Memorial weekend. TIM
TPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Jack Burch modified 1978

Hi Tim, I remember when Jack got killed, it was a very sad day. It must have really hard for you guys to accept. This sort of thing is not supposed to happen. I didn't know Jack, but I spoke to him a couple of times in the pits. He seemed to be a good guy. I do remember the '32 Ford Vic he had raced at Lakeside, it was a sharp car.
I worked with his step-son Dan Huey for a long time at Denver Parks and Recreation. I used to run a warehouse and he was a maintenace techincian. My operation supplied sprinkler supplies to the parks guys. Dan used to butter us up every so often bringing me and my co-worker a bag of donuts. It usually worked, we had our price. Dan's a great guy and was really good at his job. When I retired he called me at home to wish his best. He's one of the guys I miss seeing.

Chris Ertler
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
TPF

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan17.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	468Chris, My first job out of H/S was at Hatch Grinding Co pulling parts. Jack took me under his wing and within year I was working the counter. I worked with Dan Huey for a while in the warehouse but I think he quit before I did. Jack was a good parts man he was a wiz with piston rings.That was back when you had to size them.
My mom worked the counter under Jack also when Hatch was down on south Broadway and on Alameda. She went on to outside sales and retired from Hatch in the late 80s. That was back before the Car Quest days.
I was working the will call counter and on jacks pit crew at the time he was killed he also tought me how to drink beer of course I didnt need much training on that. Frank Lee and I used to run around together going to Phoenix for the western world champion race at Manzy for three years running,he went on to outside sales under my mothers training and now owns a parts store in Rifle Co.
We had some great times back then even though I was really young 17 or 18.I learned alot abought race cars from Jack. I am done rambling. TIM

Last edited by TPF; 07-21-2009 at 07:40 PM.
TPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
parrot

Remember his Lakeside cars well. Especially liked that '32 Vic. Jack raced a Lakeside during the 1962 through 1965 seasons. Here are some Lakeside program photos of a couple of the cars he drove; the model A bodied car is from '63 when he went by "Jack Yowell" and the Vic is from '64 when he was "Jack Burch". Both were blue and yellow. Always wondered why the different names!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#23 Yowell.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	482   Click image for larger version

Name:	#23 Burch.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	483  
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
lakeside #29

Thanks Parrot, those are great pics. That Vic was a good looking car. I too used wonder about the two last names.

Thanks again.

Chris Ertler
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
Robert Burch

This is my first time seeing this race car! Jack Burch was my father and I would like to know if there are more pictures? Thanks. RB
Robert Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Robert Burch

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
Remember his Lakeside cars well. Especially liked that '32 Vic. Jack raced a Lakeside during the 1962 through 1965 seasons. Here are some Lakeside program photos of a couple of the cars he drove; the model A bodied car is from '63 when he went by "Jack Yowell" and the Vic is from '64 when he was "Jack Burch". Both were blue and yellow. Always wondered why the different names!
My son Jacob suggested the name “Yowell” was possibly an anagram for the word Yellow since his car and favorite color was yellow. ~Robert Burch
Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
parrot

Robert that's good info for the name "Yowell", I'm buying it unless someone has a better story. A number of guys from those days used 'other names' sometimes just so their parents wouldn't find out that they were racing. Didn't always work. I've been gathering info to hopefully do a piece on that, but having a hard time coming up with photos for everyone.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #9
Robert Burch

A Couple more pictures I found of Jack Burch
Old 04-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
rapid30

The Nova #49 picture was taken in Cheyenne as you can see the #98 of Billy Noud in the background. The sponsor Jerry's Auto Machine Shop of Ft Collins was owned by Jerry Van Dyke and sponsored many cars from Cheyenne and Lakeside.

"Give pint's for half pints", I do
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote