Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
impala
Rookie

Default Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Just discovered your site as i was looking for a old race track from my army days. The old Pikes Peak Speedway in Colorado Springs, About 1/5 mile blacktop. A friend and my self were fixtures there 1968 - 1970. I believe it was demolished around 1980. They ran stock cars there then and always big crowds. I even remember the Track announncer ( Beck Beckilmeyer) Larry Carnes was one of the fast drivers. Usually was quick time and won the dash. In later years he ran the hill climb. "Smittys Number 1 Garage" ran i believe 2 cars Anybody else from that time frame on here??
impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
impala
Rookie

Default Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Anybody remember The old Pikes Peak Speedway ?? Spent my Army Years there 1968 -1970
Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Impala, welcome to ARM. I merged your two threads because they were on the same topic.

Can't wait to hear some of your auto racing memories.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
hath27

Impala, although I was very young, I do remember the track. Its where my father and uncle (Bill Canty) got their start racing.
Beck Bechtelheimer is still announcing races, now at the El Paso County Speedway. Brings back alot of memories hearing him, and seeing Art Walsh flagging.
hath27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
JimmyK

I have this photo of my Mom Ethel Kouba. Is this the track?
I have many Trophy photos of Dad (Earl) (and trophy girl) from Pikes Peak speedway from the 40s. I didn't think they were the same track though and I don't have those scanned yet (danged day job gets in the way).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pikes Peak Turf-Ethel.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	681  
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
VintageBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
I have this photo of my Mom Ethel Kouba. Is this the track?
I have many Trophy photos of Dad (Earl) (and trophy girl) from Pikes Peak Speedway from the 40s. I didn't think they were the same track though and I don't have those scanned yet (danged day job gets in the way).
JimmyK, I believe your photo is what eventually became PPIR (Pike Peak International Raceway). We used to race motorcycles when the track was still dirt (Turf Club for horses). Pikes Peak Speedway in the '40s relates more to this photo. Pikes Peak Speedway ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
impala
Rookie

The Track was located on 24 on the way Limon, real bull ring, used to pack the place on Sat Nights. They had a real tight set of rules that gave everyone a chance to compete. The old timers told us the track was built for midgets in the 40's, Funny those guys were younger then than i'am now. How about the BIG 4 Auto parts which i believe became Widner AutoMotive Had a Dragster on the Roof. I Believe i still have a old Program which if i can find it has all the names from the time and Numbers. Thanks for helping and old fart remember the past.:
Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
teamfds

The track was on the corner of Hwy 24 and Powers Blvd. The remains were torn down about 10 years ago for a new interchange. I had a former employer who lived just across the street and could watch the midgets from his bedroom. Colorado Springs always had a long history within the racing scene. Within miles of this track there also was Stockers Speedway, a 1/8 mile dirt dragstrip, and Colorado Springs International Speedway, and one mystery track. I have seen a picture at the Pioneers Muesum of a Champcar with Pulpit Rock in the background. The track had to be near Nevada Ave and Filmore St. Any info of these other tracks would be great.
teamfds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
impala
Rookie

Teamfds, I remember the other track it was farther out on 24 and off to the left, Bigger track but wasn't used much,it was used for figure 8's mostily. A buddy of mine in the service and i ran a 56 buick once in a sunday race. Damn thing caught on fire. The remains of the dragstrip were out that direction but i can't remember the exact location. Locals said that a flood in 1965 washed it away. Seems like every garage in the Springs had a stock car or a hill climb car in the garage at that time. I used to live in the old Chicken Coops Behind the Rest Home on Fountain Blvd. I believe they are used for storage now.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
hath27

Impala, the track you are speaking of is Sportsmans' Raceway Park. It was located off of Hwy24 and Peterson Rd. It was torn down in the late 70's to make way for a softball complex.
The drag strip you speak of ran somewhat parallel to Hwy 24 roughly where Marksheffel Rd intersected the hwy. (east of C/S) Remnants of the strip remained until maybe 8-10 years ago when the area was finally developed. I believe the strip was not asphalt, but oil-based?
hath27 is offline   Reply With Quote