Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Mike Croley

Default Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Great to see some Southern Colorado fans on the board . I was a regular , and i mean virtually every race night , at Sportsmans and at Pikes Peak Speedway from 1961 through 1975 when i left the state . Went to Beacon Hill many times as well as all of the Denver tracks a time or two .
One thing missing is photos of those tracks . The Denver tracks have plenty of photos , but not many for the tracks in the Springs and Pueblo . If anyone has any , please post them .
The Pioneers Museum in the Springs has a huge collection of photos from PPS and Sportsmans . They were donated about twenty years ago by the man who printed the programs for many years . He owned H&H Printing .
The old Memories web site had many photos and posts as well , but most never resurfaced on this site for some reason . But posts and photos about Ronnie McDowell , Larry Carnes , Carl Foster , Joe Becker , and many others were there .
I remember a drag strip in a dry creek bed somewhat behind Sportsmans . It was used primarily by a local car club .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
Mike Croley

I've found a few of my photos of Pikes Peak Speedway , and a couple from Sportsmans Raceway Park . I'll try to post them here .
Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Mike Croley

Here are some photos i've found from Pikes Peak Speedway , about 1971 . The 3.2 Chevy is Bill Canty . The finish line photo is also Canty and an unidentified 55 Ford . The two cars side by side going into the first turn At Pikes Peak Speedway are Ronnie McDowell in the #119 Camaro and Bill Clarke in the # 411 65 Mustang with an in-line Ford 6 cylinder engine .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crmcanty1971b.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	706   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmcanty1971e.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	707   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmmcd73b.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	708  
Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Hey Mike,I'm glad you found your pics and figured out how to post them.I wasn't on the old ARM much,so I can't wait to see what you've got.~Olen
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
Mike Croley

Heres a couple more i had . The # 89 Nova is Bob Howard . The yellow # 42 Chevy is Al Rawlins . The two cars side by side are Sonny Stier in the # 32 Camaro and Mike Bonecelli in his pink Camaro # 8 . He also wore a pink driving suit and pink shoes .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crmhoward75.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	709   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmrawlins70a.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	710   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmsteir75b.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	711  
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
Mike Croley

Here are some more photos from Pikes Peak Speedway . I believe the car in the first photo is Tad Hascall . The second photo is one of my favorites for two reasons , its a very clean 56 Chevy ( a four door at that ) driven by Bill Geddes , and in the background you can see the namesake of the speedway partially covered in clouds . The third photo is Dale Huff .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crmhascall70a.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	716   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmgeddes.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	717   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmhuffd70.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	718  

Last edited by Mike Croley; 08-31-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
Mike Croley

Heres a photo of Lloyd Axel in a beautiful midget , taken in the infield at Pikes Peak Speedway .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ARM_Lloyd_Axel__55_midget_at_Pikes_Peak_Speedway_II.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	727  
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #18
Mike Croley

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
The Track was located on 24 on the way Limon, real bull ring, used to pack the place on Sat Nights. They had a real tight set of rules that gave everyone a chance to compete. The old timers told us the track was built for midgets in the 40's, Funny those guys were younger then than i'am now. How about the BIG 4 Auto parts which i believe became Widner AutoMotive Had a Dragster on the Roof. I Believe i still have a old Program which if i can find it has all the names from the time and Numbers. Thanks for helping and old fart remember the past.:
There was indeed one of Dan Widners old fuel dragsters on the roof of Widner Automotive . It was on Nevada Ave . The old Big 4 Auto Parts was on Colorado Ave . , it was one great speed shop . In fact i've included a photo on this thread of Bill Clarke , and he was the counterman at Big 4 .
Impala , if you can find your old program , it would be great if you could post the photos and info here . I keep hoping that more photos from the Colorado Springs area race tracks will find there way onto this board some day .

Pikes Peak Speedway was built in the 40s , and Mr. and Mrs. Sager owned it . Upon the death of her husband , Mrs. Sager decided to lease the track to an association while keeping the concessions . The association was the Pikes Peak Stock Car Racing Asociation . Every person who entered the pit area had to buy a membership in the PPSCRA . Every year , names were put up for running the association and voted on by the entire membership . They voted for a committee to tech cars , a committee to write the rule book , and a President , VP , and Sec. Trs . Imagine having your competitors do the tech inspection on your car . Not much chance for cheating . But i really don't remember any more problems with inspections than i've seen every where else .
The rules , written by the racers themselves , were very tight , but made sense and made for very close racing . Also , it was decided to completely invert every race , even the Trophy Dash , to give the fans a good show and provide a competitive race .
Pikes Peak Speedway ran the Denver modifieds fairly often , also brought in the RMMRA from time to time .
Pikes Peak Speedway and Sportsmans Raceway Park were only about 3 miles down the highway from each other , but they had completely different rules .
Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
Mike Croley

I found a couple more photos of Pikes Peak Speedway drivers , these were taken at Englewood Speedway . The first photo is Paul Elder , the two sponsors on his car , Jims Auto Service and Star Marine , were both long time sponsors in Colorado Springs . Jims Auto Service is Jim Willy , owner and builder of winning stock cars for Mike Woolley # 50 , Bob Silvers # 409 , and the incredibly successful # 119 cars driven by Ronnie McDowell .

The second photo is Ray Daniels . Ray was one of the best at Pikes Peak Speedway , and a Ford man through and through . He raced mostly 65 and 66 Mustangs and i believe all of his cars were # 80 .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crmelder70.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	784   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmdaniels5.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	785  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
impala
Rookie

Smile Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Thanks for the memories Mike, and hearing some names from that time also bought back some memories. I think Bill Clarke opened his own Auto Parts Store on the north End in Early 1970. I see make a reference to Ray Daniels There was a Daniels Chevy Dealer downtown that used to race the hill with Corvettes in the late 50's and early 60's. I See that GM just **** canned him so much for years of Service. I little off the subject but i do have a interesting story about Louie Unser. In i believe 68 or 69 they (USAC) told Louie he was to old to run the hillclimb. Louie loaded 2 or three officals in a New Olds Toro put the front wheel about 3 ft. from the edge and took off for the top. Even after that ride they still wouldn't let him race, go figure. There were hill climb cars in it seems like every garage.
Yep right you are they inverted every race and there was alot of good racing. They also had a rule that if you ran i believe 2 hundreds of second quicker in a race than you qualifed you were out. No sand bagging allowed.
1957 was the newest cars at the time ( at least in 1970) that were allowed.
They even Had a few that ran wagons. Chevys could run 30 over 265's Fords 292 and i believe Plymouth and Dodges 318's Never seen a Chrysler product at the track! 10" tire no quick change and i believe flat tappet Cams made for damn close racing. Larry Carnes was the Record holder at 13.25 but his car one of the nicest, Center steering and i was told a destroked 302 i no it would turn some RPM. He set that record i think on the first night of racing in 1970. It was a big deal as the fastest a midget time ever was a 13:14 What ever happened to Smitty's # 1 Garage He ran or sponsored several cars and then there was Bronco's Resturant the owner ran a 55 ford. 39 years have come gone and i still remember all those Sat. nights. Still have to Try to find that 1970 program and i hope some more picture show up to jog my memory bank.
impala is offline   Reply With Quote