Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #21
Mitch G.

Default Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Mike, great stuff, I agree it's great to see stuff from the Springs. Being a hardcore midget guy, we only went down there for the USAC midget shows, or the occasional RMMRA midget show. One memory I have of Raceway park, as you left the grandstands after the races, tons of rubber from the racing tires would be all over the lower level of the grandstands. The pavement was really abrasive and ate up even those hard tires used in the 1970's.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #22
Mike Croley

Mitch , you're right about the rubber on the first few rows . I was a kid then and thought getting covered with tire rubber was too cool .

Larry Carnes did indeed hold the track record at one point , however it was re-set by Carl Foster in the # 105 Chevy and Carl held it for a long time .

Broncos was a great place to eat . It was located on Highway 24 almost at the eastern edge of Colorado Springs in those days . My dads' shop was right next door , so i ate at Broncos hundreds of times . In those days most racers went right out 24 to either Pikes Peak Speedway or farther on down the road to Sportsmans . Since my dads' place was right on 24 , i got to watch almost every race car go right by the shop every Friday and Saturday afternoons in the summer . Actually the owner of Broncos didn't own a race car , but he sponsored a bunch of them .

Bill Clarke did open a speed shop with a partner . It was out on Garden of the Gods Road , near Super Flow , the flow bench and engine dyno company .

Heres some names and numbers from my days at Pikes Peak Speedway .

in no particular order -
Alvin Browning # 81 56 Ford station wagon
Carl Foster # 105 56 Chevy
Larry Carnes # 96 55 Chevy
Ronnie McDowell # 119 69 Camaro
Bill Clarke # 411 65 Mustang
Jack Gabardi # 00X 55 Chevy ( Glen Bowers later bought the car )
Max Geddes ( The Blue Max ) 66 Ford Falcon
Larry Martin # 14 55 Chevy
Bill Canty # 3.2 55 Chevy
Dave Wiggins # 05 66 Shelby Mustang
Lynn Cowen # 409 56 Chevy
Mike Bonecelli # 8 69 Camaro ( his son Marcus was Tony Stewarts gas man at Joe Gibbs )
Mahlon Saunders # 24 56 Chevy ( along with Ronnie McDowell , Mahlon was one of the best i ever saw ) .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #23
Mike Croley

Impala , Ray Daniels raced for many years in southern Colorado , but he wasn't related to the Daniels family that owned Daniels Chevrolet . Ray owned , and maybe still does , Rustic Hills Texaco out on N. Academy Blvd. He only raced Fords , and the 66 Mustang he had was one of the best sounding stock cars of the day . I believe it was because he ran a 289 Ford engine with the original firing order instead of the later 302 engines that used a different firing order .
Daniels Chevrolet was run owned by Al Daniels and his son Bill . They both raced in the Pikes Peak Hillclimb every year , and both were very successful . Al raced a 66 Corvette that was one of my favorite cars . Bill raced the stock car class with Impalas powered by genuine ZL 1 427 engines . It was rumored that he used new Impalas from the car leasing department , ran the race , and then put them back to stock for leasing . I must admit they certainly looked very streetable .
Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #24
Mike Croley

Regarding Louie Unser , he worked as a machinist at an auto parts store in downtown Colorado Springs , and hes the one who built my first racing engine , a 292 Y block Ford .
Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #25
lakeside #29

I have a question for you guys that are knowlegable on So Col late models. I have a set of floater hubs and drum brakes on the front of one my cars that I bought from John or Mike Pickard many years ago. They are eight lug Chevy 3/4 ton hubs with aluminum Buick brake drums like street rodders use. I was told that they had come off a car that had hit the wall hard at Pikes Peak or Beacon Hill. The were supposed to have been off a Falcon that was owned by a man named Max. Would you have any idea who his gentleman was? The work on these parts was very high quality. I have them on a vintage modified and they still work great.

Thank you.

Chris Ertler-"professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #26
Mike Croley

Chris , i'm not sure whos car those parts came off of , but the only person i can think of who meets the criteria is Max Geddes . He raced a 66 Ford Falcon at Pikes Peak Speedway . I don't know for sure if hes the source of your parts , but he sure fits the description . He was known as the Blue Max as his car was always dark blue .
Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #27
Mike Croley

Chris , as i think about it , there is another possible donor for those parts . Max Carpenter raced Fords in the 60s and 70s at Pikers Peak Speedway and Sportsmans Raceway Park . He might also be the source of those parts .
Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #28
lakeside #29

Mike, Thank you. I appreciate the info. The man that did the work on these old parts really knew what he was doing. The drums have the center machined to fit over the Chevy floaters and were redrilled 8 lug. Even the backing plates are custom made. I've used them on my #29 lakeside coupe, then when we upgraded that car to disc brakes I used them on our #52 ex- Wayne Stallsworth coupe. They don't fade like most drum brakes.

Thanks again, now I finally have a good idea who built these parts.

Chris Ertler-"professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
parrot

Mike or Impala; Was that Broncos in the Springs the same as the Broncos in the Denver area? Remember one on Federal BLVD just behind Mile High Stadium. Think another eatery is there now. (That's my street rodder cruisin' the burger joints memory kicking in. Rodders, racers and fans all ate at a lot of those joints after the races.)
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #30
Mike Croley

No , i think the Broncos in the Springs was the only one they had . It was owned by a very nice couple from out east of Colorado Springs . They were ranchers as i recall . There was a life size fiberglass replica of a horse on the roof . They sponsored many different cars over the years at PPS and Sportsmans .