Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
kamikazeracin53W
One Post Wonder

Default Re: Colorado Springs International Speedway

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone information and pictures of CSIS. When I grew I live just outside the old Pikes Peak Speedway. As a kid growing up my neighbor and his buddy ran 2 cars at CSIS, but it was so long ago I cant remember his name, the car, or the class. The thing I do remember is helping them wrench on the car, or cleaning up the car for the races. For all my hard work(cant belive it was much only being about 5-8 years old) they put my name on the car as crew memeber. I know it is a long shot, but just looking at all the old CSIS pictures for my name!! That was a memory I forgot about! Thanks again to everyone in helping get this information out here for us to find!!!

Jason Weber
kamikazeracin53W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazeracin53W View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone information and pictures of CSIS. When I grew I live just outside the old Pikes Peak Speedway. As a kid growing up my neighbor and his buddy ran 2 cars at CSIS, but it was so long ago I cant remember his name, the car, or the class. The thing I do remember is helping them wrench on the car, or cleaning up the car for the races. For all my hard work(cant belive it was much only being about 5-8 years old) they put my name on the car as crew memeber. I know it is a long shot, but just looking at all the old CSIS pictures for my name!! That was a memory I forgot about! Thanks again to everyone in helping get this information out here for us to find!!!

Jason Weber
Jason welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Tom D.
Rookie

I remember CSIS , I used to work for Mike bonicelli at nevada auto sale's and also used to turn wrench's on Geoff Day's #26 with Phil Messina as wheel man. I and Phil started over at PPS with a 56 ford #5x. Phil won rookie of the year but I don't remember what year that was. When Geoff sold his car and got out of racing and CSIS went NASCAR I became an official and Phil became a flagman. Those year's at PPS and CSIS were some of the best year's of my life. Wish I could go back in time to relive them again.
Tom D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
bigdavesr
bigdavesr

I ran street stocks for a couple of years. I too was there when mike bonnicelli went flying into the mustang.There were so many street stocks that showed up that we never got to time in.They lined them up by points. Made for some fine racing. Seems like there was as many as 40-45 stocks show up.When I was there Glen Bowers was winning most of the time.I owned my on car #2 and was sponsered by Earl Bailey auto salvage,where I also worked.We worked on our cars on saturday during working hours and Earl woul go down and get gas cans filled for my car and two of his cars. Then he would make three trips to the track to deliver the cars to the track with his wrecker, then he stayed and used his wrecker on the track. I remember the late afternoon thunder storms that woul leave a nice lake in the infield.I got spun out on turm 2 one night and earl came to get me with his wrecker, He made me get out of my car and wade through the mud and water to get the hook . some of the best time of mine and my familys life.
bigdavesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
83x

Found some Pic's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-7.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	3251   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-9.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	3252   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-10.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	3253   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-12.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	3254   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-13.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	3255  

Name:	image0-14.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	3256   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-6.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	3257   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-7.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	3258   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-9.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3259   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-23.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	3260  

83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
bmeigs

Great pix 83x!
Especially the one with Heikes, Wilson, & Tom Reffner in the SuperAmerica AMC. Reffner ran off & hid from everyone that day if memory serves me.
bmeigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
83x

Heikes got close there was a couple of times he might have passed Ruffner but by the end of the race his neck was killing him he could hardley hold his head up so he lost his concentration. In this picture thats him looking in the trunk of Ruffner car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image0-24.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3261  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
bmeigs

Fascinating background info! Used to really enjoy those invitationals. Remember the year Larry Detjens came out and snatched the race away from Mike Opperman when Mike suddenly got caught behind a slow car in traffic? I think the slow car was #95, Gary something or other. I remember that right or wrong, Mike sure made no pretention about dumping him into the infield next lap.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #19
83x

Yea those were fun, just missed the first one finished 16th in one of the qualifers cut off was 15th. Remember hot lapping on the friday night just out there messing around Reffner blew by me had to check the car to see if it was still running if you know what i mean. Remenber that summer after Detjents won was when he was killed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	3262  
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
bmeigs

I do remember hearing that in the wreck some part of a railing or barrier punched through the car & got him. Sure was sad news, whatever the cause. I seem to remember there was 2 years in a row when Bobby Allison came out. Bonicelli & Daniels outran him one year, and one year his motor blew. Wish I could remember the name of that young guy who furnished cars for both himself and Bobby.