Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Flagman
Rookie

Default Intermountain Speedway

Many are familar with Big Country Speedway. But long before, it was known as Intermountain Speedway. Racers would come from all over the tri-state area to run every Saturday night. The track was built in the early 50's and ran first as a dirt track. In the summer of 1953, the track was closed for a bit while it transformed to a paved track. The first race on the new surface was held August 23, 1953.

There were always lots of cars at the track, and it wasn't uncommon to have 80 to 100 parked in the pits. The track was fast and tricky to drive, but the drivers loved it. Over the years, it's reputation grew and in the 70's and 80's was the place to race.

Many drivers got their start at Intermountain, and many went on to bigger and faster cars and tracks. Drivers who have a rich racing history in this area logged many laps at the little bullring. Just to name a few, Billy Vaughn, Fritz Wilson, Don Wilson, Comp Wilson, the Agar brothers, Kenny Hawkins, Kenny Clark, Clarance Krieger, Clarance Yackey, Bruce Yackey, Roger Avants, Paul Garrison, Bill McHone, Phil Ash, the Schilling brothers and many many more.

I look forward to reading more stories from all of you who remember Intermountain Speedway.
Flagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
carc7

Default Re: Intermountain Speedway

I want to add a great name of those who did well at Intermountain, my friend, Gene Corley, who also was WRA President a few times. Paul Bredenberg
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
superchicken6

I wasnt yet born when bcs was still intermountian speedway but i remember many races with darrell stewart, kenny clark, bill mchone,norm manners with that 68 firebird in the hobby stocks. I remember many saturday nights out there. my mom said i wasnt even a month old the first time i went out there. M uncle used to crew for kenny clark back in the day and i remember boooing bill mchone so hard i wouldnt have much of a voice left on sundays!!!!!!! those were the good ol days of racing kevin"super chicken" bell #6
superchicken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Tim Weber

That is the track that I grew up at, was there pretty much every weekend from the time I was 5 years old. Arnold Seidler was my neighbor, so none of us kids even had a chance, he got us hooked when we were young. He had several great drivers that ran in his cars. Greg Cederburg, Billy Noud, Bill McHone, Clarence Kreiger, and even his own son Jeff. I have nothing but fond memories of that track, and all of the "Old Time" guys that used to run there. Darrell Stewart, Phil Ash, Herb Renz, Denis Duval, The Schillings, Wayne Ridenour, Kenny Clark, Kenny Hawkins, Comp Wilson, and on, and on.......... I could go on forever listing the guys that were my heros growing up. That is still some of the best memories of my childhood, all of us neighborhood kids piling in the back seat of Ma Seidler's Super Bee, and setting sail for Cheyenne.
Tim Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
webby
Administrator

Tim, great stuff man! Thanks for sharing!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Flagman
Rookie

One of my fondest memories of Intermountain Speedway was the Joey Chitwood Thrill Shows. Yes, the same Joey Chitwood who was or still is part of the Indianapolis Speedway. They would bring the thrill show in and they would perform all kinds of stunts and crashes right in the front straight. It was generally a packed house those nights.
Flagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
charliehockflagman77

I barely remember it being called intermountain but my Dad Charlie Hockenberger lost his life while flagging there in 1977. Then my mom remarried and my Uncle ended up being Richard Clark. This track will always be a very significant influence in my life.
charliehockflagman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #8
Evad347
Rookie

Charlie was one of the best flagmen Intermountain Speedway had. I was very glad to be his assistant and the next flagman at Intermountain Speedway. That night will forever be locked in my and others memories.......

[img]http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=102&pictureid=729

Last edited by Evad347; 01-06-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Evad347 is offline   Reply With Quote