Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Mike Croley

Default Sportsmans Raceway Park

Colorado Springs was blessed with an abundance of race tracks , which was just fine with me . One of those tracks was Sportsmans Raceway Park , just east of town . It was owned by Roy Sportsman originally . It was a 1/4 mile paved banked oval that had some of the least restrictive rules of any track i've ever been to . 1949 or newer coupes or sedans , 4 carburetor barrels , and the engine had to be in the front 1/2 of the wheelbase . Apart from safety rules , that was pretty much it . That led to Bob Silvers and his 57 Chevy # 409 with a 409 Chevy engine set back into the area where the dash would be . Mike Woolley with a Studebaker Lark powered by a small block Chevy with the same type of engine setback . Ronnie McDowell with his 57 T-Bird that had a 427 Ford Engine , Vern Root with the first 396 Chevy engine in the area inside his 56 Chevy . The cars had no floorboards , save directly under the drivers feet .
They also ran modifieds on a regular basis , many of whom came down from Denver . At that time they were 6 cyl cars and they put on exceptional racing . Dale DeWitt in the number 166 , the Ager brothers , Bob Harington , and Cal Chambers .
The track was sold to Wayne Strobridge , who had raced for years under the name of Gary Wayne , and the track name was changed to Colorado Springs Raceway Park . It was bulldozed many years ago , but its one of my best memories . The photo is of Wayne with his midget at Colorado Springs Raceway Park .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strobridge_midget_1A.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	719  
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Mike Croley

Default Re: Sportsmans Raceway Park

Heres the only other photo i have of Sportsmans . Ronnie McDowell is in the # 119 Nova , Joe Becker is in the # 6 x 56 Chevy, and up against the wall is , i believe , Bob Silvers in the # 409 57 Chevy .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crmmcd68.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	720  
Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
parrot

Mike, can you tell me when Sportsmans Raceway Park was built? Was researching some '63 Lakeside programs today and ran across a mention by one of the CARC guys that he also was racing at the 'new' track in Colorado Springs. Since midgets had raced at Pike Peak Speedway just figured they were older. Remember going to PPS and seeing a lot of CARC cars there, then before it was over, a bunch of E'Wood cars come by from Sportsmans, so they both must have been open then.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Mike Croley

I can't be positive , but i believe it was around 1962 , maybe 1961 . The Englewood mods ran there all the time . There were a few local modifieds , like the Agar brothers , but mostly the cars came down from Denver , a few from Pueblo . They ran midgets at Sportsmans from time to time . I was at a USAC show there , got to see Jan Opperman in action .
Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
JRKracer

Mike, according to Bill Hill , Sportsman Park was racing in 1960 as Eddie Jackson won the inaugural ' Nite before the Hillclimb" Bobby Unser won in '61 and '62 and my dad Earl Kouba won it in '63. The track must have been built sometime in '59.
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Mike Croley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKracer View Post
Mike, according to Bill Hill , Sportsman Park was racing in 1960 as Eddie Jackson won the inaugural ' Nite before the Hillclimb" Bobby Unser won in '61 and '62 and my dad Earl Kouba won it in '63. The track must have been built sometime in '59.
I think you're correct . I didn't see the 1960 " Nite before the Hillclimb " , but i saw all of the rest .
Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
JRKracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
I think you're correct . I didn't see the 1960 " Nite before the Hillclimb " , but i saw all of the rest .
Boy this is a blast remembering my Colorado life. I was born there in 52 and we moved to MN. in 66 so I have some of you alls memorys.Thanks to all of you for sharing on this great web site
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
dizzyp
One Post Wonder

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

general post:

Out of an estate sale I have come across a nice collection from a driver that ran @ Sportsman's Raceway Park in the early 1960's. Things like photo's from his childhood on up to racing day/night photos. including an 8 x 10 with the "pretty girl" in the winners circle also 3 Pit passes, a check stub for $25 for winning the "Demolition". dated 7/7/1962 Race meet #11 out of a total purse of $3838.93. Also two engraved brass plates off of trophy's both from 1962... One says "Late Model State Champion Rex Retreading (sponsor?) 1962" the other: "Late Model 1962 Necchi Elna Sewing Circle" (also a sponsor I believe) So far my research says the driver was named Archie Tefft.. looks like he was sponsored by "GB Auto Salvage" and ran his car as #12

I am eventually going to put these on Ebay but if there is any interest in acquiring these contact me @ ttgeott at gmail.com

thanks.

Paul Furlong
dizzyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #9
Red Avanti

Went there every Saturday of the racing season from the time I arrived in July 1965 till I left in November 1966. I have fond memories of my time there.
Red Avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
83x

Sportsman had some sad times. I was in the pits the night the flagman was killed after being hit by a modified. One Friday night we were hot lapping at Pikes Peak when a pickup with some guys in the back come flying in the pits and began grabbing fire extinguishers. Evidently there was a modified that had hit the wall and the driver was trapped inside. He passed away a few days later.
83x is offline   Reply With Quote