Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Coupe faces 1962

Thanks to Parrot for guiding me to the location of this item!! I just added it so it makes a better post, I forgot it was included in my dads profile.
My dad does not remember much about drawing the CARC Lakeside Speedway program with coupes and the drivers faces pasted on the drawing. I have the Scott Duncan 8x10's, but I don't have a copy of the program in my collection. It seems to me the program cover may have been posted on the old ARM site.
I'll start with the drivers I know, and let the Professor, and the other coupe faculty, fill in the blanks.

Sam Sauer, can anyone I.D. the trophy girl? how about who lettered the Boots Texaco #28?

Jim Malloy, maybe his daughter? Gotta' love the lightweight fuel tank, and the leather belt around the door pillar. Inline 6 in the engine compartment?

The Pachello 19, Don Wilson with trophy girl again, any I.D.? V8 flat head power there.

Jack? puts STP in this coupe with another Ford flathead V8, must go to "Tony's Bar & Cafe". What year and model car is this? 32 Vicky? Strangely, written on the back of this photo is the name, Lester Kelly, dated 08/5/60.

Who's this? Straight Six in the engine bay, what year and model is this Sedan?. All the photo's are dated 1961 except the photo of the #85.
Have at it coupe experts!

Last edited by Mitch G.; 09-24-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Coupe faces 1962

Mitch, These were some pretty cool program covers, the only to negative to these progams was the line-up sheet and photo-bio were inserts and easy to lose.
The #28 was owned by Boots Stallings and was lettered by Hed sign shop in the 4900 block of Lowell Blvd.

The #85 was indeed a '32 Vic and owned by Lester Kelly. It was driven by Jack Thoms, who won multiple championships while driving for Mr. Kelly. I believe the Vic got rolled during a Metropolitan Championship at Englewood Speedway in 1960.

The #68 was a '32 Hudson with a flathead Hudson 6. This car in 1961 was the first modified at Lakeside to break into the 13 second bracket. I believe the car was left in buffed bare metal to save weight. Notice that the #68 has a right rear 3/4 ton floater hub, this was not yet a common practice. This car was probably one of the loudest cars at Lakeside. Hudson's exhaust was on the right side.
The CARC held a contest in 1961 to name this car. The winning name "The Silver Streak" was submitted by Lois Hupfer. She received free passes, pictures, and a chance to meet Mr. Palmer.

Sadly Mr. Palmer passed away before the 1962 season began. Brother Don Palmer took over the sedan and ran it through the 1967 season.

I wish I could tell you who the trophy girls were. They were certainly good looking.

Current CARC racer Bill Kolb is John Palmer's nephew.

Chris Ertler-"professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 09-24-2009 at 03:32 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
superstroke

John Hedburg (Hed Sign Co) lettered the Sam Sauer #28 Boots Texaco car.
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
parrot

Thanks Mitch, for those photos. Now I know what they were driving. Didn't remember #85 being a Vicky. I was hitting the books pretty good that summer and had sold my car to help with tuition, so only got to one or two races in the early sixties, so really appreciative when these photos show up. I believe most of these photos are from 1961, but the sponsor on the #85 matches up with the 1960 program. Appears that not everyone had switched to straight sixes yet.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
BillyK41
Rookie

Thanks for the info, everyone!

One Friday that had to have been in early 1962 (probably March), my mom Betty had told my sister Teri and me that Uncle John and Aunt Margaret were going to come over later that day -- and that the race car would be with them! Oh, man, I couldn't wait -- I stayed on the porch of that house on Green Court for HOURS, waiting for them to arrive! What a treat --- both my cousins AND the race car in one shot (and, being all of 5 back then, this was a real treat!)! Well, daytime turned into nighttime, and it was fairly late when they did get there. The kids didn't make the trip with them after all; when I went outside to look at the car, I found that the body wasn't on it! I vaguely remember hearing something about it needing some work, and would be picked up the following week. While somewhat disappointed, I thought it was still neat to see what the car looked like without the body (even though it was almost as dark as molasses by then!). Teri and I were promised to be able to look at it once the body went back on. Sadly, as I recall, it was less than 3 weeks later that John passed away; hard as I tried, I couldn't get my mom to take me to the races after that....
BillyK41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
parrot

That's a nice recollection, BillyK41. I like those. We could probably do pages on the Palmers and their racing family. "Professor Coup" mentioned that John's Hudson was the first into the 13 second bracket, and I do remember that, or at least reading about it in the paper. Dug through my memorabilia and couldn't find it in a program (some years the programs didn't have track records listed) but did find mention in a CAM CLATTER (remember those?) piece in the Denver Post that John had the 1961 record with a 13.99. I believe that was set during the last race of the '61 season, but someone correct me if that's wrong.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
lakeside #29

Parrot, You are correct, it was my oversight not including the time. He set this record on Aug. 6, 1961 breaking his previous record of 14.04. I remember possibly the week after the record was set, annoucer Reed Walker being seemingly amazed talking about it as he called it "The mystical, magical 13 second bracket." 13.99 really was a milestone.

Parrot, I think you and I talked at the racer's reunion, about another Hudson that belonged to the Palmer's but I couldn't remember the drivers name. It was Bob "Bushy" Busheff in 1962. The picture was in the program Aug. 19, 1962 and timed at 14.46. The car was #12.

Chris Ertler-"professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 09-25-2009 at 05:12 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
parrot

Chris: Yes! Thanks for jogging my memory. Went to my photo collection and found the program write-up on Bob Busheff that I got somewhere. Since Don Palmer took over the Hudson sedan, just supposed after seeing this #12 photo if that was Don's old #78. Bet you'd know. Bob had some good rides including at least a couple of cars built by Tom Barton. In a '56 program I have he's shown in second place in the points race. That car, I believe, was the first '32 Victoria at Lakeside. Driving the #12 was his return in 1962 after a bad accident in 1958. I've heard the story from other sources as well about what really happened. Bob is gone now, but I don't believe that the results of that accident had anything to do with his passing. By the way, I think that John Palmer had another Hudson prior to that sedan. In another photo somewhere there is a rather large appearing 3 window coupe, #68, of unknown make. Just guessing it also was a Hudson.

Last edited by parrot; 09-25-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
Chris: Yes! Thanks for jogging my memory. Went to my photo collection and found the program write-up on Bob Busheff that I got somewhere. Since Don Palmer took over the Hudson sedan, just supposed after seeing this #12 photo if that was Don's old #78. Bet you'd know. Bob had some good rides including at least a couple of cars built by Tom Barton. In a '56 program I have he's shown in second place in the points race. That car, I believe, was the first '32 Victoria at Lakeside. Driving the #12 was his return in 1962 after a bad accident in 1958. I've heard the story from other sources as well about what really happened. Bob is gone now, but I don't believe that the results of that accident had anything to do with his passing. By the way, I think that John Palmer had another Hudson prior to that sedan. In another photo somewhere there is a rather large appearing 3 window coupe, #68, of unknown make. Just guessing it also was a Hudson.
This was in the 60's that Don Palmer was keeping up his perfect attendance record at Lakeside, the date escapes me, Don was runing the '32 Hudson sedan, and it was running so badly that it took about 40+ seconds to time in, but Don was present and accounted for.

John's other Hudson that I remember was a '32 Hudson 5 window, 78(?).

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
tailpipe47

Let me see if I can shake a few webs loose. Sometime in the late 50s there were two Hudson coupes at Lakeside and both being driven by guys named Palmer. I remember the cars well, but could not remember who the drivers name was until reading what you guys wrote. The two coupes looked alike and were very loud. They had a trademark that got everyones attention. They both had a forward rake, nose to the ground look. They got the names of the ant eaters. They could hold their own too.
tailpipe47 is offline   Reply With Quote