Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Englewood modifieds

Outside of a Vintage race meet of some kind (and they won't be really racing), you wont see this again. Jim Opperman in a fuel injected sprint car, leading Bart Lyons in his carburated narrowed coupe, really racing at Englewood Speedway, 1973.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	englewood_mods.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	38  
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Mike511
Circle Burner

Default Re: Englewood modifieds

Very Cool Pic Mitch! Miss that kind of racing!!
Mike511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

I forgot about this old thread. This looks like as good a place as any to start posting some of the old '70's E.R.A. Modified pics I run across....

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jerry Hocker picks up a 'super cutie' and some hardware for this
1975 win. This Olympia Beer sponsored Mod was a great looking car!

(J.L. McGuire collection) Bud Montgomery (standing) was quite a driver in his own right back
in the day and his son Rick did well in this Modified in 1974. The pitman on the far right holding
the helmet is none other than Bruce Thompson, a great bass player who I got to play with in
many different rock n' roll bands from 1981 through the late 2000's.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Rick Montgomery tries to dodge a wayward tire during 1975 action
at Englewood Speedway.

(J.L. McGuire collection) More 1975 Modified action at Englewood.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 05-03-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: ...Rock n' Roll Hootchie-cooo!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Mitch G.

I don't like wings, but for some reason they did not bother me that much on the Englewood supers. One of my personal favorite era's in Denver racing history was the late 1960's to mid 70's, with the Englewood Racing Assoc. super's. Lots of variety, and ingenuity, Jerry Malloy's cars were real cool looking, and Dave Crocker built some beautiful cars. You would still see a classic Don Edmunds super, and traditional sprint cars, roadster type sprints, as well as the classic ERA narrowed coupe. It was an interesting few years, neat race cars.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Here's some more E.R.A. Supers from those "no wing" days.....

(J.L. McGuire collection) Billy Ager #1x battles Ken Tadolini #14 during 1972 Englewood action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) This Gene Myler Modified was a great looking multi-colored
car from 1973.

(Mel Keller photo) I remember this Modified being around for a few years at Englewood,
at least up through 1974 anyway. It was a cool lavender sparkle color. This pic is from
1970 and was driven by Duane Hatch.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Bill Ray #3 avoids this pile up during 1972 Modified action at
Englewood.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 05-19-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: ...Obla-di, obla-da!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
RJ Butz

Here's some from Uncle Dick, seems he was willing to help out whoever needed it. He's in every pic. Think first one is Billy Ager? Dick couldn't remember but studied pic and hood has "billy Vaughn(?) ager" on it. Also one of Eddy Olson and crew, Eddy sitting and his dad beside Dick? Uncle told me Eddy got burned real bad in a wreck. Last is "H.J." Harold Evans and crew. Not sure what champ year it was or names, but that's what this place is for!
RJ Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Mitch G.

Glad RJ posted these photo's, great stuff. I believe #1 is Billy Ager, but I'm no Englewood super mod expert. Yeah, Eddie "Crispy Critter" Olson, (don't be offended, he approved of the nickname), was terribly burned at Englewood, I think it was a rare day show, and very hot, and he made the mistake of not wearing all his fireproof underwear and gloves, he would tell you so himself. Great guy, with a great attitude considering what happened to him. He's lucky to have survived, pretty amazing story. Last summer when I was in Colorado for my Dad's funeral, Webby took me to Colorado National Speedway for a Saturday night show, just happened to have super mods on the card, and 60 something year old Harold Evans won the feature! Small world, if you look at the photo's of the #1 car, and the #16 car, the guy with the hat leaning on the wing of the car, serious sideburns, in both photo's, is Bill Stoneburner. He was a Englewood super mod guy, owner, driver, partner with Ken Munger. Stoneburner was the parts department manager at Rental Machinery Company on south Lipan St. in Denver. I was Bill's assistant for a couple years at that company in the early 1980's, and he came to my wedding in the late 80's, good guy.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
ajager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Butz View Post
Here's some from Uncle Dick, seems he was willing to help out whoever needed it. He's in every pic. Think first one is Billy Ager? Dick couldn't remember but studied pic and hood has "billy Vaughn(?) ager" on it. Also one of Eddy Olson and crew, Eddy sitting and his dad beside Dick? Uncle told me Eddy got burned real bad in a wreck. Last is "H.J." Harold Evans and crew. Not sure what champ year it was or names, but that's what this place is for!
Yes that would be Billy Ager. He's my father and I have that same photo.
ajager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
ajager

This is a video of photos from my Dad (Billy Ager)'s collection. I have much more and have been thinking about doing more.

AJ Ager
ajager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajager View Post
This is a video of photos from my Dad (Billy Ager)'s collection. I have much more and have been thinking about doing more.

AJ Ager
AJ, thanks for posting the video. You should login to YouTube and enable "Video Embedding" so we can play the video from here.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote