Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Joe Giba

Joe Giba's great grandson is looking for photo's and info on his great grandfather, he originally posted on big west, I told him to come to this site. I'll start with this one, and post what I have in my stuff. This is Joe Giba in the ex-Kenz & Leslie, Johnny Tolan (Continental Airlines) RMMRA championship car from '46 and '47. This is in Lafayette, IN in 1952, from Bill Hill's "Decades of Daring".
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
dkrails

Default Joe Giba

I'll add a photo of Joe
Location and Date unknown
Photo by Don Surles of Denver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joe Giba.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	840  
dkrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Joe Giba

Joe Giba is a popular topic today. I combined the two Joe Giba threads into one.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Thomas E

Joe Giba was in an article in Life Magazine in 1971. Googled, Joe Giba Life Magazine.

Quote:
Joe Giba working as master machinist at Merrill Engineering Laboratories has Fridays off
re: article on 4-day work weeks.

Date taken: 1971
Photographer: John Dominis
Size: 844 x 1280 pixels (11.7 x 17.8 inches)
Joe Giba's photo and Life Magazine flag (1971)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	c1d6dd999e52b32c_landing.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	842  
Attached Images

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Terry Von Tilius

Joe was one of the nicest "gentle" men I ever met. I remember showing him a model of a midget I built when I was a kid. He took such an intrest in it. He was at the house to visit with my Dad. But took the time to give a little kid some attention.

He bought a new Datsun 1200, probably in 1971, (remember those?) from the dealer where my Dad worked as the service manager. He would ONLY let my brother, John, do the service work on it. I think he must have put over 200,000 miles on that little car.

I just remember what a great, nice man he was. He would not come to any of the his friend's funerals... It would break him up too much. That was just Joe.

I would love to hear some Joe Giba racing stories, if anyone has some.
Terry Von Tilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
JimmyK

I posted this Lakeside trophy dash action shot on another thread, but as it was autographed by Joe, I thught I'd repost here. The other shot is from Englewood. Both are from the early 60s. I know I have more shot yet to be scanned... dang work keeps getting in the way of these all scanned and stored.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Earl-Giba-Mantello-Manning.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Earl-Hamilton-6-Englewood-Action.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	844  
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
JRKracer

The Lakeside picture was taken in '63, and the Englewood picture was taken in '58. Gentleman Joe was truley an nice guy and a great racer. when Joe built the new car Ozzie Osborn and a few others sat on the back chute grandstands at lakeside and were Joe's fan club complete with portable boat air horns!! I sat with them alot because Ozzie would let me blow the horn once in a while. I watched Joe break a number of offies in '58 and I beleive that is what prompted the outboard.
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Mitch G.

I heard this story years ago, Dennis Hall the life long pal of Duane Harr, told this story. One night at Lakeside Speedway, in the late 1960's after the drivers meeting prior to a RMMRA show, Joe Giba asked if he could have the attention of the drivers as they were leaving the meeting. Joe said to the drivers he was short of funds, and was going to have to win the feature that night, and hoped the guys wouldn't hold it against him. The other drivers kind of scoffed, and laughed it off, but they all respected Joe and said they didn't mind. Well Joe went out and won every race he was in that night, I think it was the last main event he ever won. Not sure how true it is, but Dennis made a great story out of it. This is my favorite photo of Joe Giba, it's from a "Center spread" out of a 1968 RMMRA program. This is the neat little midget Joe had built for his Johnson Outboard, some guy in Oklahoma City built this car. Anyone know the story of the #11 in the background? No listing for a #11 in the program, must have been a out of town driver.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Terry Von Tilius

The little story, above, about Ozzie and the Jiba fan club, made me laugh out loud. THAT was Ozzie. I wouldn't be surprised if he blew off a few fire crackers, up in those stands too.
Terry Von Tilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
JRKracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Von Tilius View Post
The little story, above, about Ozzie and the Jiba fan club, made me laugh out loud. THAT was Ozzie. I wouldn't be surprised if he blew off a few fire crackers, up in those stands too.
Terry, we could tell many stories about Ozzie. He truley was a clown.
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote