Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
Wayne Arner
Rookie

Default Re: Joe Giba

"Gentleman" Joe Giba was indeed a Denver Midget Racing Icon. From his humble beginning at Merchants Park, to the Indy 500, where he slid 500 feet backwards, down the Backstretch, he established himself as a proficient driver, mechanic, engine builder and engineer extraodinaire! My favorite picture of him is attached, where he is changing the right rear on his #62, all by himself. He never seemed to have any help, but didn't need any. Notice the axle jack, he built these for raising the front or rear just enough to remove the wheel, just by positioning it and stepping down on it! Very clever and innovative, much easier to use than a floor jack. Notice the tube shock, much ahead of what many used for this era, and the vent hose from the "puke" tank, pointed away from RR wheel to prevent spilling water under the wheel. He deserves all the accolades he will get when inducted into the CMSHOF this year!
Wayne Arner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #22
Wayne Arner
Rookie

Well the picture didn't get thru this time either! Let's try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joe Giba 1963.jpg 001 (640x464).jpg
Views:	353
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2289  
Wayne Arner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #23
RJ Butz

My Uncle Dick still speaks highly of Joe "Geebah" as he says his name. Here's another pic from his collection, with Ed. RJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12eddiegiba.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	3055  
RJ Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #24
RJ Butz

Hey, all. just wondering which issue of LIFE magazine was Joe featured. Want to get a copy if I can. Think his car was yellow/purple. 1971 also year he retired (racing). Uncle said he would retire racing when age was his car number! Also uncle remembers those jacks - no pit crew needed! Just checked online and multiple sources have Life Magazine dated January 8, 1971 as the issue I'm looking for.

Last edited by RJ Butz; 07-14-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: found more info
Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
Mitch G.

Got this note from Mike Dire over the weekend.

Mitch
I am 99% sure that #11 car pictured in the ARM Joe Giba thread, belonged to a fellow named Barney Manley, and the driver in that picture was Frank Manley. Barney had 3 sons that I can remember, Bart Manley, Frank Manley, and I can't remember the third one's name. I sure your aware of Bart Manley racing success, but Frank never really went very far with his career. Frank would bring that car out every once in a while, and had a lot of bad luck, I think it was built with a bunch of parts that Barney had laying around, and never ran very well.

Fills in the blank about the #11 car finally, been trying to I.D. that car and driver for years!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #26
RJ Butz

Here's that great color pic from LIFE Magazine with his yellow/purple and maybe orange pinstriped Johnson outboard powered midget. Great combination I might add!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #27
Mitch G.

Great shot RJ! Did you find a copy of the magazine?
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #28
RJ Butz

Yeah, had it a while and finally able to get back on here to post it. I know some people remember the photo and wanted to see it again. Glad to be back!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #29
rapid30

Great photo, thanks RJ.

"Give pint's for half pints", I do
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #30
J Ellis

I well remember Joe winning the feature one Saturday night at Lakeside in his outboard powered number 62. If memory serves me right he was sponsored by Harry's Motors.
That morning Howard Pettit called our house and asked if my sister would be the trophy girl that night. She was, Joe won. I lost that picture many years ago. If anyone has it, I'd enjoy seeing it again.
I remember my sister had her heart set on Eddie Jackson winning. She was disappointed but the rest of us was happy for Joe. He was a great guy!
Another memory of the old 62, was one night Eddie Jackson turned a few hot laps in it. It went around the track fast.......Eddie Jackson style.
J Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote