Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: ENGLEWOOD SPEEDWAY 50s Jalopy Action

(J.L. McGuire collection) Charlie Codner did away with this "mystery event"
pretty quick when the cars kept piling up at the finish line because no one
wanted to cross the line first.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 01-01-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson picks up this Jalopy win in 1951.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Flyin' Fritz Wilson during 1951 Jalopy action.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Typical early '50's
Jalopy action at Englewood. Fritz Wilson was often
written up in the paper as 'Freddy' Wilson.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
parrot

Thanks Jerry Lee for posting those old photos of Fritz. I'd seen that photo of the #57 before, but not with the quality of this one. If the same as the #57 from 1950 (and I suspect it was since the same ownres, Fabrizio and Cameron, were involved with that number for a few years on into the CARC move to Lakeside. Car was listed as blue and yellow. Now there's program info you don't often see! Wide range of models during those early years too, #57 is a '32 Ford, while the car in the forgournd in the action shot is a '40. And 34 cars in the main? Wow! That must have been some fun.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Hey Bill, I'm knocked out to see the quality of the Fritz Wilson stuff that has surfaced thanks to Scott & Cindy and Irwin. The old newspaper clippings from the early '50's aren't even yellowed. I've seen that #57 pic a bunch of times reprinted, but in this clear photo you can actually see some steam coming from the bottom of Fritz's radiator if you look close! For those who would like to browse through these great pics, check out racefan2's Fritz Wilson photo albums on his profile.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Someone's about to go over during 1951 Jalopy action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Dick Newton and crew in 1957.

(George Oaks collection/Duncan Photographers) George Oaks takes a tumble in
front of the pack during '50's action at Englewood.

(J.L. McGuire collection) From a 1958 Englewood program, Cliff Wasson #109 rolls
up against the guardrail. Note how the protective fencing in the background is up pretty
high, but only goes down so far.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Paul Anderson collection) Ed Smith picks up a win. The trophy girl is racer Paul
Anderson's sister Maureen.

(Ken Tadolini collection) John Tadolini hard steers to miss an over turned car
during '50's Jalopy action at Englewood.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Cliff Wasson up against the guardrail in 1958.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 01-14-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Englewood Jalopies three wide and comin' at ya!

(Gene Clark collection) Gene Clark picks up a win in a car he bought from the Malloy brothers.

(Gene Clark collection) Another one of Gene Clark's cars, this time from 1958.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
parrot

Hey Jerry Lee, keep 'em coming. Loving all the old photos that you dig up. Remember well that #39 of Jay Malloy, Jim and Jerry's dad. That year, 1955, they all had tree identically prepared cars, #35, 37 & the 39 you posted. Painted in a DeSoto paint scheme, they were among my favorites. Must have been a photo taken of that threesome back then, but I"ve never seen one. Like to find it.

By the way Jerry Lee, since you have some programs from Englewood, wondered if you have a 1957 edition? Looking for a listing of Ed Jackson who might have been at Englewood then.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
lakeside #29

Wow, Jerry Lee, The Gene Clark #39 Vic was a beautiful car. I have a question that hopefully Bill (Parrot) can answer. I could never get my Dad to go out to Englewood when I was little. He had bad sinuses as a reminder of WWII. He complained about smoke, dust, and fumes at Englewood. My question is, how dusty was Englewood in the dirt track days? Did they control it well? They had some great drivers in the dirt days. Was the racing really close?
Thanks guys.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
Hey Jerry Lee, keep 'em coming. Loving all the old photos that you dig up. Remember well that #39 of Jay Malloy, Jim and Jerry's dad. That year, 1955, they all had tree identically prepared cars, #35, 37 & the 39 you posted. Painted in a DeSoto paint scheme, they were among my favorites. Must have been a photo taken of that threesome back then, but I"ve never seen one. Like to find it.
There was one, in the 1955 programs printed by the Barnum Publishing Company, and published the Herald Dispatch, the photo featured the cars 35, 37 and 39, with Jim, Jerry and Jay Malloy standing behind their cars. Barnum Publishing printed programs for Englewood and Lakeside, for CARC, RMSCRA and the RMMRA for a number of years. Barnum Publishing started with the Roaring Roadsters and the Midgets. J. Ivanhoe Rosenberg was the owner and operator of Barnum Publishing Co., and the Herald Dispatch; Ivan as he was known was also a club member of CARC at Lakeside Speedway, and at one point was the light man, he also got hit by one of the stockers while walking toward the pits with his back to the oncoming traffic, Ivan was thrown up against the south turn guard rail, I'm not sure if it during hot laps, or before or after an event, he spent quite a while in the hospital. Maybe Joe Rosenberg or Gary Rosenberg can fill you all in on the details. I worked for Ivan at the Barnum Publishing for a year or so in the arly 60's, I saw the old programs photos and zincs photos mounted on wood for printing; for the time period with the roadsters, midgets and stockers they printed some really programs.

Sadly I don't have any of those by gone days items, I believe time took a toll on all the old material, and were probably tossed with a lot of other stuff not realizing that some day that would be vital in the auto racing history in Denver and the Rocky Mountain area. When I do find such items for sale the cost at time is prohibitive.
Quote:
By the way Jerry Lee, since you have some programs from Englewood, wondered if you have a 1957 edition? Looking for a listing of Ed Jackson who might have been at Englewood then.
And...

Junior Boyes or it is Garland Boyes, I think his number if it is listed would be 180 or 180x. Junior was a friend of my brother's and that was when I got the stock car and midget bug, of course my dad was instrumental in my interest in cars and auto racing.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote