Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
webby
Administrator

Default Kenny Hawkins

- Written by Rapid 30

Kennie’s storied racing career began in 1955. The white #22 modified and Kennie were crowd favorites at Cheyenne until he retired in 1976.

In 1961 and part of 62 Kennie was also a flagman at Intermountain Speedway in Cheyenne.

Kennie won his first Main Event in 1962 driving the Storz Beer Sedan at Intermountain Speedway in Cheyenne (later to be known as Big Country Speedway).

Kennie also raced at Lakeside Speedway in Denver Colorado, at Jane’s Speedway in Gering, Nebraska and in Alliance, Nebraska. Kennie said that the owner of the track in Gering had named it after his wife; but the track would later become known as Oregon Trails Speedway. The highlight of Kennie’s career was setting a new track record at Alliance Nebraska in 1962. His record would last until 1968 when it was broken by Walt Ditsch. In 1968 Kennie also once again worked as the flagman at Intermountain Speedway .

In 1969 Kennie went into the last race of the season as the point leader. While attempting to make a pass for the lead, the leader nearly got him in the wall. On the second attempt Kennie was not so lucky as he went again for the pass; this time the leader did get into him, causing him to contact the wall thus ruining his chance for the championship, which he lost by 11 points.

In 1971 Kennie won 5 main events at Intermountain Speedway, just missing out on the award for most main event wins. In 1972 Kennie was President of the WARC, which left little time for working on the car.

By this time the cars had progressed into full-blown Super Modifieds and the competition had grown to include the Ager Brothers, and Vaughn and Billy, from Colorado Springs. Kennie was now running an old Sprint Car type machine which he would race until his retirement in 1976.

In 1979 Kennie borrowed back the old Sprinter type car that he had sold in 1976 and decided to go dirt racing at CNS. For the 1980 season he had purchased a Sprint Car and now took on a new role; that of car owner fielding a car driven by his stepson Don Runyon. In 1981, still racing at CNS, Kennie and Don also decided to run at Norton Kansas. On August 7 1981 Don was involved in a horrific accident. Don had to be flown to Denver and was in a coma for 26 days.

In 1983 after rebuilding the Sprinter they raced at Raceland (which would later become RMNS).

After reorganization of the WARC Kennie was voted the Vice President in 1990 under President Chuck Bailey. That season Kennie ran street stock in an official’s race and in 1991 he drove in a Mechanics race.

It was 1999 when the CARC began racing at Big Country in Cheyenne and I became friends with Kennie who I grew up watching and admiring. When we were at the track in Cheyenne, Kennie would always make a point to come hang out with us. I asked him one night if he would like to climb in the purple #30 and take a few laps but he always said no.

In 2005 we were racing in Cheyenne and Kennie asked if my offer still stood, as this was the 50th anniversary of his start in racing. I got the approval of the Milan Family and the track officials, and the next time we raced there, Kennie showed up with his racing suit and helmet and took a few laps at intermission. I think that I was just as thrilled as he was because I was watching a true legend drive my car. Kennie thanks for giving me these photos and all the great memories, I am proud to call you my friend and I just thought that I would share these with everyone else. ~ Bruce
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
rapid30

Default Re: Kenny Hawkins

Thanks Webbie for getting the Kennie story back up, Kennie is a very good friend of mine and I grew up watching and admiring him.
Bruce
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Tim Weber

That was cool !!! I started going to Cheyenne when I was 5 years old, Kenny was one of my heros. Always very fast, competitive, and a very clean driver. I always loved the modifieds, the Agars, Kenny Hawkins, Comp Wilson, were all fun to watch. I sure miss those days.
Tim Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
rapid30

Hey Mike, you most likly have some great old shots that you can add to this post.
Bruce
Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Evad347
Rookie

Kenny,
You are one of my favorite racers of all time... It is strange a little that we have talked a couple of times ( although I was Flagman and temporary VP of WARC ) but thru time
because of my jobs and association with the WARC I came to know your kids. And still talk with Sheryl to this very day. Even though we are miles apart.....
Thanks for the memories of great racing...
Evad347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
rapid30

I got a Christmas card from Kennie yesterday and he said that he had been inducted into the WARC on November 13th, congrats Kennie, well deserved.
Bruce

Last edited by rapid30; 12-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
VintageBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid30 View Post
I got a Christmas card from Kennie yesterday and he said that he had been inducted into the WARC on November 13th, congrates Kennie, well deserved.
Bruce
Thanks Bruce. That is great news! I've known Kennie every since I was a little kid. When I moved away from Cheyenne in the early 70's, he and his wife still lived only a couple of houses east of my parent's house on 7th Street & Morrie Avenue. Kennie is one of those legendary builders/owners/drivers who represented the WARC well for many many years.
Congrats Kennie! ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
Evad347
Rookie

May you Rest in Peace...... Kennie Hawkins passed away last night going from Cancer..One of my all time greats at the local track... 05-14-2017
Evad347 is offline   Reply With Quote