Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: ENGLEWOOD SPEEDWAY – The Figure 8 Revolution

(Pete Brandenburg collection) Pete Brandenburg picks up this 1964 Figure 8 main at
Englewood during the first year the division ran at the track. Pete was another
pioneer of the sport who always ended up top ten in points throughout the ‘60’s. Note
the old concrete flag barrier in the background is still just a guardrail at this point.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Another pioneer in Figure 8’s was Jack Voorhis. Pretty slick
lettering job for that division in 1968. Dig the funky front roll bars on both the #32 and
Eddie Baldwin’s #87 in the background.

(J.L. McGuire collection) For a short time in the mid-‘60’s, women had a Powder Puff
division that ran the 8, as this unknown lady driver is greeted by a clown and “Lil’ Prince”
for her win. Many early Eighters used just about anything for roll bars. Looks like a drive
shaft or something welded to this two post set. For added protection, there’s a hunk
of foam taped to the middle of the steering wheel.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Cindy Ballard was another “hot foot” on the 8 in the Powder Puffs.

(J.L. McGuire collection/Track Shack Photo) Multi-champion Greg Higgins’ last Figure 8 ride
was this bright yellow, Dusty Hopkins owned Ford in 1975.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Typical Sunday night action at Englewood in 1965.

(Roger Avants collection) Multi Late Model champion Roger Avants in his first full season
driving a Figure 8 in 1971.

(George Harper collection) Here’s what was left of George Harper’s Eighter after it’s first
time out in 1965.

(J.L. McGuire collection) This cartoon appeared on the cover of Englewood’s programs for
the 1965 season. It’s likely the artist had never seen a Figure 8 race before as one of the
cars in the “X” is going the wrong way with the traffic flow. Had it missed the car at the
“X” it would be running head-on into the oncoming cars!

(Jim Bedore collection) Jim Bedore #22 battles Dusty Hopkins #106 during 1972 action.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Richard Burton in the red #36 leads the pack around during
hot laps in 1977. Richard picked up his first championship at Englewood that season.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Sandy Hicks’ Figure Eighter in 1977.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 06-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Mitch G.

Jerry Lee, this is a remarkable thread, great photo's and stories. Can anyone of you figure 8 experts verify a old rumor I heard. I was told in the late 1970's that there were no real engine rules for the F8 class at Englewood, and that some of the top F8 guys were spending more on their engines than some of the top Late Model and SuperMod guys were spending on their engines!! Just curious, as I know little to nothing about F8 stuff.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
lakeside #29

I can't speak to the engine rules post 1976, but prior to this they heavily restricted. I remember 312 Ford couldn't be bored more than .040" over, Chevy 283 about the same, I'm pretty sure a Mopar 318 was in the same limit. You coulld mill heads but you weren't allowed pop-up pistons. I don't think you could use aluminum flywheels either. The rule changed a couple of times regarding headers, at one time you could run headers. That was changed when noise restrictions came in. At first they had to run stock exhaust manifolds, but that changed to either stock or headers wirh mufflers. I think valve train was optional any flat tappet cam and push rods with no roller rockers on Chevys. The cams were a mixed bag Crower and Isky ground some good cams for Y-blocks, but Mac at Spitfire used to regrind some pretty hot ones that he sold for $40.00. I don't remember ignition rules, but I think most guys ran a stock distributor. My old buddy Chuck Kacin found an old WH DuCoil set-up that he ran for a while iin his Ford and nobody said anyhting. The cylinder heads could be match ported to 1/4".
The rules were different for the Saturday night ARA show and the Sunday night ERA show. You could run a 302 in a Ford and I think you could put a 302 in a Chevy as well but they were still really restricted.
Most of the drivers were on 7" recapped tires so you really couldn't much more power to the ground. Ed Brunner had one nastiest 312's I ever saw, it produced about 250 hp at the rear wheels on a dyno.
You could cheat the rules if you didn't run upfront too often, but if you ran upfront regularlly you were fair game for protests. Terry Boyle who made sure his car was legal, got jammed one time because his front track was something like 3/8" too wide. That particular year he had used Chevy 3/4 ton floaters on the front and didn't realize they would bring the wheels out over Ford floaters. He was pissed that they busted him on something so minor that he didn't even know was wrong. The front splindles and floaters got junked immediately in favor of Ford pieces. I think that was about the only time he was protested and lost.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 09-02-2010 at 04:59 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
VintageBuzz

WOW! I always thought that the engine-rules were wide open too. Mainly because of what seemed like some very high RPMs from the top drivers who punished their engines during the entire race. Yet another testament to the very talented engine builders of that era. This is an awesome thread because of all the memories that it brings back for me when I was just a young-kid / teenager and was spectating with my Dad at Englewood Speedway whenever we could! ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
DaveTansey

Lakeside #29 is pretty much right on with most of the rules . I drove for Darryl Smith for six years during this time . We ran 312 Ford motors that was built by Mack at spitfire engines . All our motors were 312 bored 40 over. Cams were wide open , but no roller cams . The rules were the same for Saturday & Sunday night so we could run both nights with the same car . Since we were Ford guys , I didn't know alot about the chevy engine rules . I was thinking 283 motors was the one everyone ran . Don't remember 302 being a choice . Darryl would be the one to ask about that , all I did was drive the car , and want to win . Did not drive a Chevy intill 1989 when Darryl put a car together for the first year for figure eights at Colorado National Speedway
DaveTansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
lakeside #29

Hi Dave, Thanks for posting on here it's a fun place to remember. I have to say, you're right about the Chevy engine rules. I was trying to recall and what I said about the Sunday night rules being different, I think somebody told I me and I didn't read it in a rule book. You're spot on about Mac's engines, he was really able to make a motor scream. The man knew what he was doing.
Dave in case you wonder who the heck I am, I used to hang around with Terry Boyle, Mike Colitti, Chuck Kacin, and Ed Brunner. When I hung around with Terry I was the big stocky guy with dark hair and long sideburns and black horned rim glasses.
Glad to have on here, I know you have some great stories.
I should add that you were one best in figure 8's. When you drove Darrell's pink #2 were really the good times.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
DaveTansey

Lakeside #29
You were hanging out With some great friends of mine on and off the track Terry,Mike,Chuck and Ed Brunner were all good friends of mine . I'm sorry I can't put a face to you , I'm sure if I saw you I would remember you. That was a long time ago .
Englewood Speedway was the best times of my life . I wish I could go back in time .
Thank you for saying that I was a great driver in the F-8's That means alot to me. Thank's again
DaveTansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
Mitch G.

Chris Ertler's brain is obviously very well preserved, with little damage from wrecks, and booze, I can't even remember the rules to ping pong. That's why we call him Professor!! I remember watching Dave Tansey race at Englewood, even though I was mostly a midget guy, I took in many Late Model, and Supermod show's and watched those crazy F8 guys, I always rooted for that pink 58 or 59 Plymouth, #18 I think?? Forgive my poor memory.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #20
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTansey View Post
Did not drive a Chevy intill 1989 when Darryl put a car together for the first year for figure eights at Colorado National Speedway
And you won the championship that year!!!

Great to have you on here Dave!