Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
impala
Rookie

Default Re: 555 Triple Nickle Pikes Peak Speedway.........

Judging from the dates on the action pictures from Pikes Peak Speedway it looks like 72 was the last year of the Early model cars or did they run 2 different divisions. Keep those pictures coming!!!
impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

I seem to remember a Larry Anderson from that era. Does anyone remember him. I really like to see those old photos. Anyone have any of the green 83 of Bill Walters. I had a bunch of old programs and lost them. I do still have my old membership cards and a picture of Bills olds 83 red nova from around 73 or 74. Also a picture of a 55 chevy with a 17x on it. No name. If I can get them scanned I might be able to post them.

dan
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Impala,
Sometime in I think 73 I believe they had opened the new speedway out on 94 that Bonicelli built with the drag strip. It was a 1/4 mile and by then they had switched to all newer bodys like camaro etc. The old PP speedway was still running cars then also with mini stocks and some newer bodies and some old bodies too. I visited both tracks then but I am not sure when PPS finally closed. I was living in South DAk then and then on to CA in 76. But I remember all this stuff well. I will never forget the great PPS years that I got to be there 67-71. I am a great memory buff, and love the pics and stuff on here. Sort of keeps it alive. I am currently living in ID. I will be racing on the 1/4 asphalt Meridian speedway with a Late Model light, (4 cyl). It reminds me a lot of Old PPS even though then it was 1/5. I am winding down my driving career this year, but going out on this track is like a big flash back to the old days. Our 4 cyls are faster than the v8s were then but the feelings are the same.

Dan
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
highboy-xlt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azray View Post
Thinkin we do have some pics of Martin and Foster, alot of pics are in a huge album somewhere in my Moms house! She is looking for it and I should Have a bunch of cool pics! Also what do you think about doing the Blue Camero? I know its a dark color, but no sponsers.......Let me know
That would be so cool if you could find some photos, of any of those old days. I kick myself for not saving some from old CRM for reference.

I am looking at those photos from 1973, I think I could find "5's" like that and could make as dark as lettering as possible and paint over them if too light.

Do you remember the color scheme of that year, is it the lighter purple car to the left? To be honest the stripes on the blue one kind of scare me a bit (I am a novice LOL).

Hey, anything is possible & I might have an idea on how to approach the striping. Let me know which one you prefer and I'll will let you know if I feel I can do it justice before committing.

Last edited by highboy-xlt; 03-09-2010 at 07:49 PM.
highboy-xlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
highboy-xlt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
azray , keep em coming !! high boy , i sent an e-mail to Carl Fosters' son about your request for photos to build a model . I know he has a huge collection of photos that he wanted to post soon .
Thanks Mike, Carl was my favorite driver at PPS, his cars were always very sharp and he was always in the top portion of the field. I would really like to do a replica of the white 57? Chevy he ran.

Also do you remember those cars that ran the exhaust straight up out of the hood. I recall as a kid thinking that was just the "coolest".

Who drove the old "409" car?

HB
Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #16
Mike Croley

Yes i sure do remember those thru the hood exhaust pipes . The 55 Ford that i was part owner of used those exhausts . In fact , that car is in the photo posted on the Pikes Peak Speedway thread . Its in the photo of Bill Canty , its the Ford on the inside . Impala and i have discussed the pipes on Ron Cogdills' Ford . They were a work of art , just as the entire car was . They were really long , turned out near the top , ends were cut at an angle , and of course they were chromed .
The driver best known for driving the 409 is Lynn Cowen . I think Bill Clarke drove the car in its earlier years . Lynn also raced in the Pikes Peak Hillclimb . Lynn , i believe , worked at Charlie Russos' garage , which fielded several cars at the speedway .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
highboy-xlt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
Yes i sure do remember those thru the hood exhaust pipes . The 55 Ford that i was part owner of used those exhausts . In fact , that car is in the photo posted on the Pikes Peak Speedway thread . Its in the photo of Bill Canty , its the Ford on the inside . Impala and i have discussed the pipes on Ron Cogdills' Ford . They were a work of art , just as the entire car was . They were really long , turned out near the top , ends were cut at an angle , and of course they were chromed .
The driver best known for driving the 409 is Lynn Cowen . I think Bill Clarke drove the car in its earlier years . Lynn also raced in the Pikes Peak Hillclimb . Lynn , i believe , worked at Charlie Russos' garage , which fielded several cars at the speedway .
I thought it was Lynn Cowen, you can just see a portion of the car in one of the
"555" pics.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
azray
Rookie

I will up load those PICS and send them to you, that would be great!
Here is a PIC of my Dads first Stock Car.....and his old Jeep!

azray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #19
dirtman

Cool pics! Somewhere in my scrapbook I have a pic of me sitting in my stock car frame just like that goofy one!! Good for a laugh. And great for memories!
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
azray
Rookie

Here are some more Pics of the Triple Nickle cars! I love these things! I wish we could go back to those times! I remember My Mom making large King Supers bags of pop corn, hot chocolate and hot dogs! and heading out to Pikes Peak Speedway........The sounds and smells..........

[url='http://auto
azray is offline   Reply With Quote