Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Unidentified Colorado Midget Photos

I ran across these old Midget pics I thought I’d share. I’m hoping you Midget guys might be able to put some names and stories behind them as I haven’t much of a clue. I’ve had them for so long I don’t even know who to credit them to. If you happen to know who took them, please add that info. as well.

(J.L. McGuire collection) What a great shot this is! Any guess what track this was at?

(J.L. McGuire collection) 3 wide at Lakeside Speedway. Dig that crazy #6 with the fin!
#41 looks like Spyder Anderson, maybe Eddie Jackson in the #5??

(J.L. McGuire collection) Looks like this could be on Englewood’s dirt during the ‘50’s.

(J.L. McGuire collection) The #8 ended up quite a mess after this wreck. The guys in the
background check out the big scrape on the driver’s helmet.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ed Jackson in the pits at Lakeside. A rare shot of Pete Ducker’s
#1 coupe in the background. 1952, maybe??

(J.L. McGuire collection) Grier Manning #42, #68, and Ed Jackson #5 run wide at Englewood.

(J.L. McGuire collection) 1942 RMMRA champion Roy Leslie. Love those old helmets!

(J.L. McGuire collection) This might be Gene Pastor in this chubby little Midget.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Not sure when this was taken, but the only guy I recognize is
Sammy Sauer, second from the right.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 07-01-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Thomas E

Default Re: Unidentified Colorado Midget Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post

(J.L. McGuire collection) Not sure when this was taken, but the only guy I recognize is Sammy Sauer, second from the left.
I peeked . . . this helped

Decade of Daring, Bill Hill - Page 213 Left to right . . . 1962

Left to Right

George Brewer, RMMRA Flagman; Grant Kendrick, RMMRA President; Joe Giba, Jack DeShon, Bart Manley, Glen Beavers, Bobby Chester, Jimmy LaManna, Gene Pastor, Earl Kouba, Frank Mantello, Eddie Jackson, Jack Peachey, Sam Sauer, Ray Flanagan.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ed Jackson in the pits at Lakeside. A rare shot of Pete Duckerís #1 coupe in the background. 1952, maybe??
Great photo. If the year is 1952, it wouldn't be Eddie Jackson. I believe it was 1956 that Eddie bought the 5 car from Lloyd Axel. But it's hard to tell. But I do see a 1955 or 1956 Chevrolet Cameo Pick-up sitting behind the number 1.

Pete Ducker's '32 Ford here

Pete Ducker's last race, 1953 here

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
Great photo. If the year is 1952, it wouldn't be Eddie Jackson. I believe it was 1956 that Eddie bought the 5 car from Lloyd Axel. But it's hard to tell. But I do see a 1955 or 1956 Chevrolet Cameo Pick-up sitting behind the number 1.

Pete Ducker's '32 Ford here

Pete Ducker's last race, 1953 here
Got me thumbing through my scrapbooks on this one. It didn't become Skyland Ford until at least 1955 or maybe 1956 when owner Bob Jones took over the Davis Ford agency. Ruling out 1955 because the #1 is neither of the #1 Lakeside cars from that year. It's a '34 Ford 3 window, and Gordon Herring drove one of those in '55 as #9. Whether or not it's the same car that has been re-numbered for '56, (I don't remember it) 1956 is my guess since Mr Herring was the driver of a #1 then.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Terry Von Tilius

The top photo is at CDR in Castle Rock. 1960? Mitch?
Eddie Jackson started at the back.
There was a paved oval which was part of the drag strip and the road course.
Terry Von Tilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Great info so far guys!

Growing up as an "Englewood guy", I'm kind of clueless on a lot of Lakeside and Midget photos I have, but that's what makes this site so fun for me, learning more about stuff I can only speculate on. Can't wait to hear about some of the other pics once Mitch chimes in.

Thanks for the Pete Ducker links, Thomas. I had forgotten about those!

Keep up the good work gang.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Kathleen

Hi,

I recognized my Dad "Peewee" Al Sullivan in the midget photo of #8 with the guys looking at the scrape on the helmet of the driver. He is standing on the far left with a cigarette in his fingers. He drove car #12 at Englewood and Lakeside in the early 1950's.
I remember my Mom "Dody" Doris Sullivan drove in the Powder Puff races. Frank Crater #88 was a good friend of his. Dr. "Lilly in thol?" I only can remember how it sounded was the track Doctor who sat in the infield in the ambulance. After the races and loading up the car we would all go for a bite to eat at "The Clock". I would have been about 5 or six years old then. This was after the races in Lakeside. After the races at Englewood we would go to "Richards". Anybody out there remember playing under the grandstand in the dirt during the races at Lakeside?
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Mitch G.

Sorry gang, been in Maine for a week, then had my brother in town with his whole family, for 5 days, first chance I've had to catch up!! Top Photo is the 1/2 mile paved oval at CDR, 1960, Ed Jackson's #5, #67 ahead of Jackson is Jim LaBriola, #92 is eventual winner Tommy Rice. The outside row, #96 is Russ Sweedler, #31 could be Sid Blanford's car, the #48 is John McDaniels Offy with Bobby Unser driving.
Next photo Lakeside Speedway, not sure of the year, I've never seen the #6 before, but Spyder Anderson is #41, Eddie Jackson #5, Gene Pastor #3, can't tell who's in the last car.
3rd photo, Englewood, probably 1959, Tommy Rice in his own Offy #92, Jim LaManna in Ade Butlers #1 V8-60, and Eddie Jackson in his famous #5.
Next photo is 1960 at Lakeside, that's Bob James #8 Offy, Jim Smith was the driver Cal Chambers and another car had crashed, Smith hit the oil, water and other pieces on the track and flipped, the front wheel and tire still attached to the tie rod, swung around and hit Smith in the head, he died of his injury's several month's after this.
The 6th photo is Grier Manning in #42 a Kurtis copy with a Chevy II, Dale Reich is in his Edmunds Offy #68 (a beautiful chrome yellow with silver leaf numbers, I always liked that car), and Eddie Jackson in his #5 Kurtis Kraft Offy powered midget, yeah Englewood Speedway maybe 1968, 69 or 70?
The #6 car under the photo of Roy Leslie, is Gene Pastor in a car built by Vic Feldt, off the top of my head, Feldt built 2 cars and built his own engines, this one may be an Offy. I think this is the car Warren Hamilton ended up with and he stretched it into a sprint car.
Jerry Lee, fantastic photo's!!! .

Last edited by Mitch G.; 07-12-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
JRKracer

The CDR photo has the left row of cars the 4th car up is Earls #55. The #6 roadster in the 2nd picture is Warren Hamelton. he hand built that car in his shop on Olive ST in 1962 or 63 never got it to work . The Vict Felt car Pastor is in fact the car Warren stretched into a sprinter in 1961.
Joe
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
Mitch G.

Joe, I missed Earls car, my failing eyes. Can you recognize the car outside of Pastor in that 2nd photo?
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote