Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.



Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
MarcHart15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default Malloy Special

My name is Marc. I work for Tom Malloy the son of Emmett Malloy. We are looking for the Champ Car that Jimmy Reese drove at Indy. I know it is like a needle in a hay stack, but we have to start somewhere. Any leads to where it might be would be greatly appreciated.
MarcHart15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
webby
Administrator
 
webby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Age: 52
Posts: 1,058
Default Re: Malloy Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcHart15 View Post
My name is Marc. I work for Tom Malloy the son of Emmett Malloy. We are looking for the Champ Car that Jimmy Reese drove at Indy. I know it is like a needle in a hay stack, but we have to start somewhere. Any leads to where it might be would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Mitch G.
Senior Member
 
Mitch G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Age: 57
Posts: 1,106

Default Re: Malloy Special

Marc, here's what I've got so far, I'll try to find other photo's if you tell me which ones you would like to see.

Jimmy Reece - 1952 start 23rd, finish 7 in a Kurtis Kraft KK 4000 with Offy power, owned, entered by John Zink, black and orange #37.

Jimmy Reece - 1954 start 7th finish 17th - Bob Pankratz built car, Offy power owned and entered by Emmett J. Malloy, black, red, white #25

Jimmy Reece - 1955 start 15th, finish 33rd, Pankratz / Offy, entered by Emmett J. Malloy black, red and white #5

Jimmy Reece - 1956 start 29 finish 9, Lujie Lesovsky built roadster with Offy.
owned by Joseph Massaglia Jr. "Massaglia Hotels Spl" white, gold, blue #26.

Jimmy Reece - 1957, back in a Kurtis Kraft a KK500 with Offy power, owned by Fred and Richard Sommer, "Hoyt Machine Spl", red, yellow,black #5 started 6th finished 18th.

Jimmy Reece - 1958 back with John Zink, in a Watson Roadster with Offy. Maroon and white #16, started on outside front row, was involved in famous first lap wreck, but recovered to finish 6th, his last appearance at Indy he would die at Trenton in Sept. of that year.

Reece in the "Malloy Spl", Pankratz now on the dirt , Langhorne, PA in 1954.

George Amick in the Pankratz, races Andy Linden at Milwaukee, WI in 1955
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
MarcHart15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: Malloy Special

Thank you Mitch. I have a little more info. The car was sold by Malloy in 1955. It then became the Morcroft Special driven by Jimmy Davies 1956 #3 then driven by Gene Hartley in 57-58 #88, Eddie Johnson in 1955 #5. I will post some pictures of the car when it was last seen. It is thought to be in the midwest. It has a Chevy in it with a roll cage. It is #63 In the photo, the car still has the long brake handle on the left side. Thank you again.
MarcHart15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
dasdon1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Default Re: Malloy Special

Hello,

My name is Don Sommer. My grandfather and father owned Hoyt Machine Co. and the Special from 56-58. It was in the 56 race with Ed Elisian. The 57 race with Jimmy Reece who also drove it in the Race of Champions. It failed to qualify for the 58 race with Gene Hartley and was later wrecked at Daytona with Dempsey Wilson at the wheel.
It was my understanding that the car was scrapped. However I recently found it on the following website:
conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z15081/Kurtis-Kraft-500C
I'm a new member so I can't post an active link.
I would be interested any pictures related to the car or it's drivers. I have pictures that I would be happy to share.

Thanks
dasdon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Larry Nelosn
One Post Wonder
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Age: 78
Posts: 1
Default Re: Malloy Special

Marc, imagine my surprise when i "Googled" Malloy Special and found myself here. I am Larry N. Nelson. My Dad, Dolor (JIM) Nelson worked for Emmet Malloy back in the 1950's as a heavy equipment operator and mechanic. He worked on the Malloy Special when it was being built. I remember that they had the car out in an abandoned gas station out in the middle of an oil field. I went out with my Dad just after they received the Offie. When i walked into the shop the floor was covered with white sheets and the engine was field stripped and they were Magni-Fluxing every part. I got to sit in the care and "pretend" I was at Indy. A very big thrill for me I can tell you. My Dad and I traveled back to Indy in 1954 & 1955 with the car and watched the race. I met and talked to Jimmy Reece both years I was back there, very nice guy. I remember Emmet very well, not sure that I ever met Tom however. At the time I was in my early teens. I went to work with my Dad and hung out at the equipment yard many times. I went out on a job with my Dad, he was demoing a Church for Emmet on a weekend and Dad got hooked into one of the walls and the bucket came loose and collapsed the boom back over the cab of the machine! He and I spent the next four hours taking off the boom and replacing it to finish the job. Lots of good memories associated with those times. I am not sure how old your post is, forgot to check, but hope you get this. My best to Tom. Larry Nelson
Larry Nelosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
carl s
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Age: 73
Posts: 16
Default Re: Malloy Special

Thanks to Mitch G. for doing the majority of the initial research into this search.
I was at Tom Malloy's a few weeks ago and he and Jeanne are still hopeful the remnants of this car will show up in the back of someone's garage in Eastern Ohio/Western Penn.

Here's the latest - my letter to Paul Weiesel of The Eastern Auto racing Historical Society.

Paul Weisel
Eastern Auto Racing Historical Society


From: Carl Schulz, Indio, CA
For Tom Malloy and Jeanne Caliva – Malloy Motorsports, Corona, CA.

Hello again Paul,

There has been a search going on for the remains of the 1953-4 Malloy Special Indycar, later to become a sprintcar that was last seen and campaigned in 1970s PA. Hence this request to you and your PA associates for any info that can help in locating the car.


Tom Malloy et All have been searching the past few years for the current remains of the 1953 (Emmett) Malloy Special. One of two built by Bob Pankratz – the sister car resides in the PNW whilst the Malloy Car went through a number of transformations and was last seen as a sprint car in the PA area in the 70s before being sold by Akron based Hobe Nestor.

I’m pretty sure I contacted you when I first began helping Tom look for the car via the internet two years ago but just in case you missed it, here’s the data once again.
We’ve had thousands of ‘hits’ and some leads that have led to the current ‘last seen’ data.

Would you see what you can do to help Tom locate the remnants of this car?

Very much appreciate any help you can offer.
Also want to thank you for the EARHS Newsletters you have forwarded to me.

Best Regards
Carl

Photo id and history follow:

This letter is the most current communication in this search:

by Thomas J. Schmeh, NSCHoF
MalloySpecialSearchNSCHOFLetter[1]


The following sequence is from past search attempts.


Malloy Spl Jimmy Reece - 1954 start 7th finish 17th - Bob Pankratz built car, Offy power owned and entered by Emmett J. Malloy, black, red, white #25


photos by Mitch G at AutoRacingMemories.com
M.Hart"Thank you Mitch. I have a little more info. The car was sold by Malloy in 1955. It then became the Morcroft Special driven by Jimmy Davies 1956 #3 then driven by Gene Hartley in 57-58 #88, Eddie Johnson in 1955 #5. I will post some pictures of the car when it was last seen. It is thought to be in the midwest. It has a Chevy in it with a roll cage. It is #63 In the photo, the car still has the long brake handle on the left side. Thank you again."

Malloy Spl Reece now on the dirt , Langhorne, PA in 1954
picture-2[1]


Malloy Spl George Amick in the Pankratz, races Andy Linden at Milwaukee, WI in 1955
picture-3[1]

Malloy Spl last seen 2
Car_[1]
The car was sold by Malloy in 1955. It then became the Morcroft Special driven by Jimmy Davies 1956 #3 then driven by Gene Hartley in 57-58 #88, Eddie Johnson in 1955 #5. I will post some pictures of the car when it was last seen. It is thought to be in the midwest. It has a Chevy in it with a roll cage. It is #63 In the photo, the car still has the long brake handle on the left side.see comments below


Malloy Spl last seen-Ernie Lowe after winning 100 lapper at Sharon Speedway
Car_2[1]
The car was sold by Malloy in 1955. It then became the Morcroft Special driven by Jimmy Davies 1956 #3 then driven by Gene Hartley in 57-58 #88, Eddie Johnson in 1955 #5. I will post some pictures of the car when it was last seen. It is thought to be in the midwest. It has a Chevy in it with a roll cage. It is #63 In the photo, the car still has the long brake handle on the left side. The Sid Street car is the one that went to the Pacific NW. That is the sister car to the one we are looking for.
The Malloy Special was sold to Morcroft and became the Morcroft Special car #88 driven by Gene Hartley and car #3 with Jimmy Davies and #27 with Tony Bettenhousen.
Jeanne
For Tom Malloy
Tom’s Response to Jalopy Journal- he said you would post it for him :
Rottie,
Bob Pankratz built two champ cars. The first car was for Sid Street that appeared at Indy in 1951 and 1952 but did not qualify either year – this is the car you are talking about that Buzz Barton drove.
The second car (which is the one I am looking for), Bob started building in 1952 (it looked exactly like the Sid Street car). It showed up for the first time in the 1953 at Indy but failed to qualify. It returned in 1954 to qualify 7th and finished 17th. It returned again in 1955 to qualify 15th and finished 33rd. Jimmy Reece drove it both times as the Malloy Special. I hope this information clears-up thing referencing the two car and which we are looking for.
carl s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
carl s
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Age: 73
Posts: 16
Default Re: Malloy Special

Now that I have posting privileges I will post the following 'last seen' photos of the Malloy Spl in its sprintcar config.
link to photo sequence - 5 photos labelled Malloy
http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/ca...27913017577643

http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/ca...82086676237455
(read Media Info)


carl s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #9
Geraint Owen
One Post Wonder
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Age: 49
Posts: 1
Default Re: Malloy Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasdon1 View Post
Hello,

My name is Don Sommer. My grandfather and father owned Hoyt Machine Co. and the Special from 56-58. It was in the 56 race with Ed Elisian. The 57 race with Jimmy Reece who also drove it in the Race of Champions. It failed to qualify for the 58 race with Gene Hartley and was later wrecked at Daytona with Dempsey Wilson at the wheel.
It was my understanding that the car was scrapped. However I recently found it on the following website:
conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z15081/Kurtis-Kraft-500C
I'm a new member so I can't post an active link.
I would be interested any pictures related to the car or it's drivers. I have pictures that I would be happy to share.

Thanks
Don

I realise this post is some time ago, but if you do pick up on this could you email me about the Hoyt Machine Spl please. I have some info that could be of interest

thanks

Geraint
Geraint Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
carl s
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Age: 73
Posts: 16
Default Re: Malloy Special

Larry, Please check your PMs - Malloy group wanting to contact you to discuss your knowledge of Malloy Special.
Thanks,
Carl Schulz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Nelosn View Post
Marc, imagine my surprise when i "Googled" Malloy Special and found myself here. I am Larry N. Nelson. My Dad, Dolor (JIM) Nelson worked for Emmet Malloy back in the 1950's as a heavy equipment operator and mechanic. He worked on the Malloy Special when it was being built. I remember that they had the car out in an abandoned gas station out in the middle of an oil field. I went out with my Dad just after they received the Offie. When i walked into the shop the floor was covered with white sheets and the engine was field stripped and they were Magni-Fluxing every part. I got to sit in the care and "pretend" I was at Indy. A very big thrill for me I can tell you. My Dad and I traveled back to Indy in 1954 & 1955 with the car and watched the race. I met and talked to Jimmy Reece both years I was back there, very nice guy. I remember Emmet very well, not sure that I ever met Tom however. At the time I was in my early teens. I went to work with my Dad and hung out at the equipment yard many times. I went out on a job with my Dad, he was demoing a Church for Emmet on a weekend and Dad got hooked into one of the walls and the bucket came loose and collapsed the boom back over the cab of the machine! He and I spent the next four hours taking off the boom and replacing it to finish the job. Lots of good memories associated with those times. I am not sure how old your post is, forgot to check, but hope you get this. My best to Tom. Larry Nelson
carl s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.