Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
superstroke

Default Darrell Carver #99 Lakeside Modified

This shot, taken in the pits at Colorados Lakeside Speedway features Darrell Carvers gorgeous modified stock car. This car was truly a beautiful machine and at the time of thisphoto spread (1971) Darrell was the owner and the driver. His more than capable pitmen, Gary Chipman (pictured on the left) and John Piper (not pictured) planned on painting "Purple People Eater" on this '32' Ford, according to the accompaning write up. It seems to me that the car was painted more of a maroon than purple and sported a beautifully mastered lettering job that featured a gold letter and numbers and black shadows. I cannot make out the signmans name, but it appears to be Jim Boyd Signs or something to that effect. Check out the M&H Racemasters and two piece magnesium wheels. Those wheels set him back a few patchecks! Darrell has Detroit Diesel painted on the hood, and I belive that Darrell was a diesel mechanic...can't remember. I talked to George Greene this summer and he told me that he drove this car from time to time.

I want to thank Lloyd Land for the use of his collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcarver 1971.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1406  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Darrell Carver #99 Lakeside Modified

Darrell Carver's car was a good looking car and ran pretty good as well. The car was the old Mike Drieth #20. At least that is what the late Jim Moore told me. The car was sold during the 1972 season to Mike Harlan. He and his dad Paul maintained the #14 car and Mike drove. He was a nice kid who had some of the worst luck I can remember. In those days rookies usually got thrown to the wolves by timing in at the front of the main event. I felt really sorry for these guys as they got into the wall two or three times. They had a sharp El Camino they towed the race with. I remember them having to pull the El Camino and trailer into the infield for the wrecker to load the bent racer up. They hung it up after that season.

A few years ago we had one of our cars out on the drive when Paul Harlan drove by. He stopped to look at the car and I think he was a little surprised we remembered him. Nice guy.

I think the car was out with a new owner in '73 in gray primer. I think his first name was Bill. I don't recall seeing it after that.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
schafer1

this car was the former mike Dreith number 20, that is why it was so beautiful and maroon. Harold Schafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstroke View Post
This shot, taken in the pits at Colorados Lakeside Speedway features Darrell Carvers gorgeous modified stock car. This car was truly a beautiful machine and at the time of thisphoto spread (1971) Darrell was the owner and the driver. His more than capable pitmen, Gary Chipman (pictured on the left) and John Piper (not pictured) planned on painting "Purple People Eater" on this '32' Ford, according to the accompaning write up. It seems to me that the car was painted more of a maroon than purple and sported a beautifully mastered lettering job that featured a gold letter and numbers and black shadows. I cannot make out the signmans name, but it appears to be Jim Boyd Signs or something to that effect. Check out the M&H Racemasters and two piece magnesium wheels. Those wheels set him back a few patchecks! Darrell has Detroit Diesel painted on the hood, and I belive that Darrell was a diesel mechanic...can't remember. I talked to George Greene this summer and he told me that he drove this car from time to time.
I want to thank Lloyd Land for the use of his collection.
schafer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
mkinney
One Post Wonder

Does anyone recall a gentleman by the name of Fred Jones?? He was a good friend of Darrell Carvers.
mkinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 AM   #5
AOlson
One Post Wonder

Question Re: Darrell Carver #99 Lakeside Modified

To the men talking about Fred Jones.. He is my uncle. I was searching for Darrell Carver and found this thread. I'm looking for Jeannette.. Jeannette Muckenthaler or Chipman or Carver.. She had a few names.. If you know someone that knows her please e mail me! Supergirl92703@yahoodotcom FYI I heard Darrell passed away a few months ago.
AOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
schafer1

darrells kids all live in cortez Colorado area and Oklahoma Tulsa is where his son brian lives, he did not keep in contact with any of his children
schafer1 is offline   Reply With Quote