Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
superstroke

Default Ron Hornaday cathin air at Sears Point 1992

When I was on the pit crew with the Chesrown/ Carelli team, I got to know a few of the other teams. Ron Hornadays team was one of those teams that were more easily approachable. We seemed to always pit close together, and would sometimes party together as well. As racing goes, Ron would find himself with a wrecked fender or quarter panel, etc. and would need a sponsor replaced or touched up. I usually always packed my paint, as Rick was swapping paint with other competitors all the time. At the end of the 1992 season, Ron gave me this picture for "Helping to keep his car clean".

Ron was a very good road race driver and at Sears Point he would always do pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hornaday.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	97  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
xo1tech

Default Re: Ron Hornaday cathin air at Sears Point 1992

First time I ever saw Ron Hornaday was at Phoenix International Raceway in a SouthWest Tours race. He had the field covered when the clutch went out in his car. He almost ran over me as he came to a stop on pit road. Jack Arute and ESPN camera guy came running over and stuck a mic and camera in the driver's window and I was almost under the passenger side looking in the window at them.

Ron was not able to return to the race. Dick Trickle went on to win the race.

Can anyone help me with the year this happened? I know they filmed parts of the Checker 500 Winston Cup Race the next day for the movie days of thunder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0240.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	3880  

Last edited by xo1tech; 06-04-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Adding Photo
xo1tech is offline   Reply With Quote