Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Jim Tunstead passes

I saw on Big West Racing, Traci Tunstead posted that he father Jim Tunstead had passed away on Feb 15, 2011. What a blow, Jim was such a nice guy and never strayed from the sport over the years. My wife grew up with Jim, as her father Duane Harr was his midget team mate for a couple years with the RMMRA midgets. My prayers are with the Tunstead family.

From Bill Hill's great book "Decades of Daring"

Also from "Decades"

From a 1970 RMMRA race program.

Jim Tunsted racing with the USAC national midgets, 1971

In the mid 1980's, at the Harr's garage, when Tom Davey owned the ex-Tunstead midget.
Jim had 2 top ten point finishes with the RMMRA, on 2 occasions he finished 9th in points, 1968 and 1972
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
carc7

Default Re: Jim Tunstead passes

What a shame! What a good driver and most of all, an awesome guy!! We'll miss him for sure!

carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
rapid30

Veteran RMMRA Owner/Driver and supporter Jim Tunstead passed away on February 15th. Jim owned the Marigold Cafe in the 1970's which was one of the favorite places to hang out after the races. Even after his driving days were over he remained a big supporter of local Midget and Sprint Car racing. He will be greatly missed.

Jim is survived by his wife of 46 years Nancy. His children Traci, Vicki(Scott), Valeri(Todd) and his grandchildren Cameron, Samantha, Lexie, Danielle, and Traci.

Funeral Arrangements:

Memorial service to be held Thursday, Feb. 24 at 12:00pm at Harvey Park Christian Church, 3401 S. Lowell Blvd.

Burial at Ft. Logan Nat'l Cemetery at 1:30pm, Staging Area B. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the Denver Dumb Friends League.

There will be a gathering following the service at the cemetary at:
Rossi's Catering 4980 Kipling St.Wheat Ridge.

You can visit www.allveterans.com for more information.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
rapid30

Jim was a great racer and even better man, I got to know him while he was pitting for Marv Slusser and what a Gentleman he was, I enjoyed our many bench racing sesions.
He will be missed by all who knew him, my thoughts and prayers are with his family ay this time.
rapid30
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote