Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Some of the most spectacular vintage race cars are off the quarter mile. Drag Racing from the 1950's, 60's and 70's produced some auto racing's most memorable cars and drivers.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
superstroke

Default Louie Allison IHRA Top Fuel Westminster Colorado

Louie Allison (or Three Fingered Louie) is not only a talented pinstriper/ signpainter. Louie is also a talented mechanic and a heck of a Top Fuel driver.

Louie was the bottom end man for Michigans Jack Ostrander. Jack, at one point in his career, was in the top ten standings of the elite NHRA Top Fuel division. Louies job was to inspect and replace rod caps and bearings after every run. He performed this job for 20 years. He also drove the tractor /trailer for the team plus many other tasks. He loved this job so much that he would actually pay his own way. I understand where he was coming from, as I spent a pretty good chunk of change myself when I traveled with the Chesrown team, although much of that money was for liquid refreshments after the racing duties were completed.

In the early 2000's, Louie tested for his IHRA license. He painted and lettered the team cars and began competing and learning the ropes. After some rookie mistakes and some mechanical set backs, Louie finally scored a national win. At one event, his fueler, at half track, decided to become an airplane! The car barrel rolled in a terrifying fuel fed fire ball. It careened from the wall before finally coming to rest. If I had witnessed this crash, I would have had to say that Louies life was over. Louie emerged from the smoking mass, not injured, but madder than hell, and a little bit in shock perhaps.

When the Busch Series started at PPIR, Louie and I made a deal where I would buy the tickets if he would supply the motor home. We had a great view, dead center on the North side against the fence. Come race day, myself and a few other friends piled on top and began to enjoy the race. Louie, on the other hand, was absolutely bored to death. He climbed down and began to polish his wheels. Being the great guy that he is though, he kept the others, still atop the motor home, supplied with cold adult beverages. It seems stock car racing is just a bit to slow for Louies taste. What do you expect for someone that goes 318 in a matter of seconds!!!!

Today, after his retirement from drag racing, Louie is building a Pontiac GTO that he intends to make street legal, no drag racing, at least not at Bandimere. We shall see. In the meantime, last month, Louie hosted the first annual Riding Lawn Mower Nationals. I will upload a few pictures from this extravaganza.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	louie 1.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	114   Click image for larger version

Name:	louie2.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	115   Click image for larger version

Name:	louie3.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	116  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Louie Allison IHRA Top Fuel Westminster Colorado

Me and my wife had a 1993 Camero RS, it was her car, nice dark teal. We took it to Louie and he did a amazing pin stripe on the car and some incredible tiny palm trees on the back spoiler, it was really a masterful job.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote