Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
cemar

Default Re: What is the hand pump for?

Couple sayings:
If it 's not broke, don'r fix it.
Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Dad lived by both these rules.
Having started racing around 1940 and stepping down while still winning in 1972.
100's of wins, track records, Championships, etc. he kept alot of stuff some would feel was outdated on his cars.
Here are pics of just some of the 20 or more cars he raced those 32 years, all still having the side levers.
In order:
1948, 1953,1966 and 1968.
Last pic is a driver using one in the turns.
cemar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lever 025.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	2175   Click image for larger version

Name:	lever 026.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2176   Click image for larger version

Name:	lever 023.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2177   Click image for larger version

Name:	lever 022.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2178   Click image for larger version

Name:	lever 021.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	2179  

cemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
carc7

As I was posting some old racing magazines on eBay today, I came across this cartoon and thought it was appropriate for the conversation. It's from "Speed Age", February 1949!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cartoon 1949.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2184
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
WesGPS
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carc7 View Post
As I was posting some old racing magazines on eBay today, I came across this cartoon and thought it was appropriate for the conversation. It's from "Speed Age", February 1949!
Attachment 2184
Very cool find there carc7
WesGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
b4caferacer

Smile Re: What is the hand pump for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemar View Post
WesGPS.
I answered your email as soon as I got it to tell you what it was for.
Like most things on here I am having trouble at first performing it correctly and I guess you didn't get the reply, sorry.

I have found many have questions about other devices on the old Midgets.
One is this: Next to that pump is a long lever. Would anyone care to tell those who don't know what that was used for.
Here are a couple pics from 1951 showing that handle.
Check out the 3 drivers pulling on it with their laft hand, while they are in the middle of a wreck. (two cars out of the pic are spinning infront of them)
Imagine, in a turn in a wreck one hand on the steering wheel and one on the handle!
The picture you are looking at, where you say they are in a middle of a wreck,they are not wrecking, they throughing the car sideways in a drift.They were known for racing wheel to wheel,and,also had,"Nerf Bars",that kept the wheels from becoming intangled. But,a lot of the time the actual tires would come into contact with each other,and," ALL HELL WOULD BRAKE LOOSE"! I watched several drivers be thrown from their cars,and,some were killed! Mel Kenyon raced in the,U.S.A.C. series,very successfully,but,was disfiguired in a firey crash while driving a Indy car. He came back,and,continued to race midgets. When last I saw him at a midget race in Florida,in the early 90's. You could call him,"KING",of the midgets!
b4caferacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
b4caferacer

Smile Re: What is the hand pump for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesGPS View Post
The red arrow in the picture below points to a hand pump. This generation of a midget is a bit before my time. Can someone tell me what it was for? If you know, tell me if it was common to a specific type of engine - was it an engine that used a carburetor or was it fuel injected and so forth. Whatever you know will be appreciated. Inquiring minds want to know.

I borrowed the picture from another post.

Thanks, Wes
The picture of the car squarely facing the camera in your picture(the one you said you borrowed from a nother post,Looks to me as if it's motor his hanging off the left rear corner of the chassis. If so it was most likely a 3/4 midget and almost roadster like.

These race cars began to evolve and the list was like this, 1/4 midget,1/2 midget,3/4 midget,and,Full midget. Then it went on too Sprint car,and at first the Silver Crown Championship car,Or(Upright dirt,and,asphalt indy car).
b4caferacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
Racefan 777

It seems to me that at least some of the midgets at Lakeside (60's) had the pumps on the right side. I seem to recall seeing them pump on them from the stands. Just some of the cars, Lakeside only, Or just my mind leaving me again?
Racefan 777 is offline   Reply With Quote