Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Mitch G.

Default The mite vs the mighty!

RJ Butz sent some remarkable photos to me, regarding one of my personal favorite all time Colorado auto racing stories. It's 1977, Enlgewood Speedway is hosting a "Open Competition" super modified invitational race. I'm no expert on Englewood Racing Association history, but I believe in 1977 they allowed 350 cubic inch V8's with carbs running racing gas. Also they had on board starters and a clutch and transmission. Salt Lake City had a super mod club but I think they allowed direct drive (push start like a sprint car or midget) and fuel injection and methanol fuel. This would put the Denver boys at a disadvantage in a on track confrontation. Also a sprint car would be lighter and faster but would not have a wing like the ERA supers. All that being said, management at Englewood Speedway decided to hold this open comp show, sprint cars, fuel injected supers, were invited, wings, no wings, run what ya' brung. Eddie Jackson Denver racing legend, shows up with Chuck Mauro's Edmunds built sprint car, injected 350, but it breaks in hot laps. Eddie asks Rich Codner if he can run home pick up his midget and race it against the supers and sprint cars, this being a open comp, run whatever ya' got race. Codner says yes...Eddie dashes to his house in Edgewater, picks up Harry Conklin's midget, makes it back to Englewood and puts the midget in the show. And then spanks the super mods and wins the feature and the whole enchilada. Wow. I did not get to see that race, but National Speed Sport News ran a photo in their paper of Eddie in his midget, inside Larry Kassell's super mod, reading "The mite vs the Mighty". Englewood was a 1/3 mile paved oval, suited for the small block super mods, the midget Eddie drove was maybe a 133 or 140 cubic inch VW, no wing. I've told this story before, but I've never had access to photo's of the event, till now.

Don Edmunds built, Harry Conklin owned, Foster Campbell chief mechanic, and a truly talented race car driver at the wheel, Eddie Jackson. This car was chrome yellow with silver leaf numbers and letters, Rick Carelli drove this car for awhile, and it became the maroon and black #49 with gold leaf trim that Eddie won the first ever Belleville Midget Nationals in, during the 1978 season

Eddie gains on a carburated and winged super mod, can anyone I.D the super mod car and driver?

Maybe Vaughn Ager in the #121 fuel injected super? From what I've been told Eddie just gobbled these guys up, must have stunned those super mod folks. If any ARM members were there, please add to , correct, this story, has to be one of the greatest upsets in Denver racing history.

Last edited by Mitch G.; 05-01-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
webby
Administrator

Default Re: The mite vs the mighty!

That is a classic story and now we have pics to prove it!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
carc7

WOW! One of the best!

carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
rapid30

Mitch, In the first picture the Super was Vern Dack's car and I believe that it was driven by Rick Duckworth at the time, although Harold Evans also drove this car. I owned this car from 1983 to 1987 and then sold it to Harold. This was a great story and my Dad and I were pitting for Dale Huff and his driver Leo Tucker at the time. The 121 was Vaughn Ager and the car had also ran twin turbos in some of the Open Comp shows.
rapid30

"Give pint's for half pints", I do
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Duckworth
One Post Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid30 View Post
Mitch, In the first picture the Super was Vern Dack's car and I believe that it was driven by Rick Duckworth at the time, although Harold Evans also drove this car. I owned this car from 1983 to 1987 and then sold it to Harold. This was a great story and my Dad and I were pitting for Dale Huff and his driver Leo Tucker at the time. The 121 was Vaughn Ager and the car had also ran twin turbos in some of the Open Comp shows.
rapid30
Harold Evans drove for Vern Dack for one year In 1978
(Duckworth in Picture 1977)

Last edited by Duckworth; 02-07-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Duckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Mitch G.

I have one Englewood Speedway program from 1977, it shows Super Mod #60 being owned by Vern Dack, driver Rick Duckworth, sponsor "Paper Tiger". That program is not for the open comp show, just a weekly E.R.A show. Thanks for the info Rapid30!!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

I love stories like this, right on E.J.! Good thing Mauro's Edmunds broke when it did (during hot laps), this tale might have had a different ending.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote