Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
BillyK41
Rookie

Default Re: Ronnie McDowell

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ronnie drive a white Camaro at Century 21 Speedway during the time that it was open? I distinctly remember seeing the 119 on a fast Camaro there, but I remember the car being white instead of yellow.
BillyK41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
rapid30

Ronnie also drove the #32 Monza bodied modified at Lakeside for Steve Davis of Pueblo, this car was sold to the McIntyres and I think they put Dad, Jim's Vickie body on it and the younger brother, Timmy drove it until his untimely death.
Bruce
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #13
Mike Croley

Billy ,i do remember a white version of the car , i don't remember why it was painted white .

Rapid30 , i hope somebody can come up with a photo of that Monza , i never got to see it .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Mike Croley

Here is some info on Ronnie from the Pikes Peak Speedway program .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARM_Ronny_McDowell_PPS_program_1975_PPS_img069.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	867  
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #15
carc7

Is Ronny still around?
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #16
Mike Croley

No , sadly he died about ten years ago .
Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
parrot

Unfortunately the racing world lost Ronnie in August of 2001 at the way too young age of 57. While perhaps best known for his accomplishments in late model stock cars, my first memories of him were during his formative years at the old Pueblo Speedway in Southwest Pueblo during the early sixties. This "the other black #19" coupe was one of his better early cars. From The Pueblo Star-Jouirnal, 1962.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	McDowell #19.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	869  
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Smile Re: Ronnie McDowell

HEy, do you guys remember Ronny's little yellow and black 61-62 nova? I remember watching him at old Raceway park and it looked like there was no one who could beat him. He would start at the back and lap the field, sometimes passing two and three cars on a straightway. That car was unreal. Unfortunately I did not get to see him much in the 70s since we moved away in 1972. I also remember Larry Martin, who set fast time so many times at PPS that he was almost automatic. I think I remember Carl Foster expermenting with a power glide once in his red and white 55. Also Glen Bowers brought out a 57 Plymouth with a 273. The time I saw it, he blew a head gasket and finished the race with a car full of steam and smoke. How many of those former guys are still around. I think I read that Carnes is still there, but gosh, there were so many in those late 60s early 70s before it went to the new Bonecelli track out on 94. Ah those were the days......

Dan
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #19
Mike Croley

I do remember Ronnies' little Chevy ll . There is a picture of the car on the Sportsmans Raceway Park thread .
The 56 Plymouth that Glen Bowers and Roy Roa had was a great looking car . It ran pretty good , but they seemed to have a lot of small mechanical issues .
Larry Martin , Carl Foster , Larry Carnes , and Ronnie McDowell sure dominated the fast qualifier spot . But then Bill Clarke , Dick Heikes , Jack Gabardi , Ray Daniels , Alvin Browning , Ron Cogdill , and Mike Bonicelli had some pole runs too .
Many of the drivers are still in the Springs .
Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #20
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Smile Re: Ronnie McDowell

It is too bad that after PPS and the other track out on 94, went away, nothing really happened in CS until the now defunct New PPS. Such a waste of good talent, but then nothing stays forever accept these Forums. Some folks get old and pass on, others just quit racing when it gets too expensive for the weekend warriors we all use to be. Memories are really great, and I have fond one's of the old place at PPS. Don't forget old BECK, the PPS announcer...He was the best I ever heard. Kept things alive with his humor. Mike, were you pretty tight with Bill and his crew. I am trying to put together some of my memory to figure out if I knew you. There was a guy who worked at Daniels Chev. with Bill and Me , HE worked at the end of the ally side of the shop and specialized in rear Dif work. I cant remember his name , but he crewed on Bills car, the Green 55 Springs Realty sponsored car. I do not want to get too personal but could you have been around about that time. I think it was 1969.

Dan
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote