Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
joeltrasker
One Post Wonder

Default Grew up at Blanket Hill Speedway in PA

Newbie here and doing the intro thingy...........saw my first race in 1962 at Blanket Hill Speedway, 7 miles East of Kittanning, PA on US Route 422, and it was 4 miles from my home; did not take long to figure out I could make a little money at the races, and ge in for free and was soon hawking popcorn as a seven year old, all the while enjoying the races and drivers like Gus Linder, Ted Wise, Ralph Quarterson, Lou Blaney, and many many others.
If I sold 50 boxes of popcorn, I made a dollar, as my commission on the 15 cent box was 2 cents! BIG MONEY, especially for a seven year old; it wasn't about the money though, it was about getting to go to the races and enjoy something that has been in my blood ever since, and that is Sprint Cars!
Would love to find some old photos and/or programs from the early 60's to the early 70's from Blanket Hill Speedway; I have tried before with not much luck at all.....................anyhow, hi all, drop a line if you want!
joeltrasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Grew up at Blanket Hill Speedway in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeltrasker View Post
Newbie here and doing the intro thingy...........saw my first race in 1962 at Blanket Hill Speedway, 7 miles East of Kittanning, PA on US Route 422, and it was 4 miles from my home; did not take long to figure out I could make a little money at the races, and ge in for free and was soon hawking popcorn as a seven year old, all the while enjoying the races and drivers like Gus Linder, Ted Wise, Ralph Quarterson, Lou Blaney, and many many others.
If I sold 50 boxes of popcorn, I made a dollar, as my commission on the 15 cent box was 2 cents! BIG MONEY, especially for a seven year old; it wasn't about the money though, it was about getting to go to the races and enjoy something that has been in my blood ever since, and that is Sprint Cars!
Would love to find some old photos and/or programs from the early 60's to the early 70's from Blanket Hill Speedway; I have tried before with not much luck at all.....................anyhow, hi all, drop a line if you want!
Joel, welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote