Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Second Creek Raceway Oval, Commerce City, CO.

Second Creek Raceway was a road racing complex once located at 88th & Buckley Road in Commerce City, CO. Opening in 1983, the paved 1.7 mile road course was built on the same property that was once known as Rocky Mountain Dragway (later Thunder Road Dragway) dating back to the early 1960’s. A dirt oval track (Raceland, later Rocky Mountain National Speedway) was built just North of the property in the early 1980’s.

In 1994 another curve was added to the North hairpin of the road course forming a little 1/5 mile oval. The Colorado Automobile Racing Club started running their Modified coupes here with dreams of making the facility their home track.

In 1995, C.A.R.C. President Chris Ertler and many volunteers were instrumental in revamping the facility around the oval with track lighting for night racing, repaving of the oval, and the addition of more grandstands. The old uncovered East stands from Lakeside Speedway were dismantled and trucked over to S.C.R., then reassembled and reseated as the main grandstand along the front chute. Along with the C.A.R.C. Modified class, other divisions were added to the ticket. Econo Stocks, Mini Stocks, I.M.C.A. Modifieds, Dwarf Cars, Legends, R.M.M.S.A. Mini Sprints, and a Vintage division were added to thrill the Friday night race crowds.

(J.L. McGuire collection) In the mid-‘90’s, Denver area Stock Car drivers and
fans could catch the Friday night races at S.C.R., Saturday night action at
Colorado National, and spend Sunday evening at Rocky Mountain National
Speedway. Three great nights of racing every week!

(Photo by J.L. McGuire) Here’s a look at the S.C.R. oval in 1996 with the
historic Lakeside East stands on the left.

(Photo by J.L. McGuire) This view from the stands shows the Legend cars hot
lapping during the late afternoon before fans filled the seats to capacity.

(J.L. McGuire collection) A 1995 track program from Second Creek.

(Photo by J.L. McGuire) The pits at S.C.R. are a hive of activity in this 1996 photo.

(Photo by J.L. McGuire) Don Campbell #53, Bob Land #3, and Sean Hillis #99
were just a few of the C.A.R.C. Modified coupes that raced the S.C.R. oval
in 1995.

(Photo by Joe Starr) Ross Smith #17 “mows the lawn” trying to make it 3
wide with a pack of hungry Econo Stocks at S.C.R. in 1995. Also pictured
are Lyle Mitchell #161 and Greg McLaughlin #57.

(Photo by Joe Starr) Some of the wildest races I’ve ever witnessed was
when the R.M.M.S.A. Mini Sprints flew around the Second Creek oval. Here,
Tony Rossi shows the norm for these cars on this flat track as they buzzed
around up on two wheels in the corners. No lie, there was an average of two
or three spectacular flips a night that kept race fans on their feet when this
division swarmed the track. Sometimes it seemed that the winner of each
race was determined by process of elimination.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Thanks to Chris & Peggy Ertler, not only was I the
track announcer for the Friday night shows at S.C.R. in ’95 and ’96, but I
got to write a weekly column of race results for the Jayhawk Racing Journal.

(Photo by J.L. McGuire) Vintage Midgets like this one were always crowd
favorites when they appeared. It was always a big thrill for me when I got
to announce the names of some of the great Midget racers of yesteryear
who gathered for these events. Most were too old to drive anymore, but I
always let the crowd know if they were in the house.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Race results for the last race meet of the C.A.R.C.’s
50th anniversary season.

The C.A.R.C. and Second Creek parted ways after the 1998 season, and the little 1/5 mile paved oval went back to being used as the Northern turn of the road course.

In late 2005 and early 2006, the Second Creek Raceway complex and the Rocky Mountain National Speedway dirt track next door were all flattened to make way for a new housing development. In the mid-‘90’s there weren’t any houses for miles around.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 07-15-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
Flagman
Rookie

Default Re: Second Creek Raceway Oval, Commerce City, CO.

I had the honor of flagging the last races at SCR. Sorry to see it pass.
Flagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
rapid30

Second Creek was a great little track and I had some of my best times racing there. It was such a family atmosphere and the drivers could mingle with their family and the fans in the stands between races. I miss it.
Bruce "rapid30"

Last edited by rapid30; 07-17-2009 at 08:26 AM.
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
lakeside #29

1994 - Don Campbell, President; Becky Walace, Secretary; and Butch Walace was on the board. I don't remember who else was on the board.

I don't know who was the first to contact the people at Second Creek..Don, Butch??

In 1994 management at SCR allowed the paving of the south turn. I don't remember who paid for it. whether it was the club or SCR management. They also put in a concrete retaining wall and a catch fence.

We didn't have a pay off and the trophies that were given out were recycled. Don Campbell was the main thrust behind this. He really loved the club.

1995 Chris Ertler, President; Bob Land, Vice-president; Peggy Ertler, Sec/Trea; Don Campbell, Chairman; board members, Tom Adler, Dave Burn, Kirk Campbell, Butch Wallace, Dean Wallace.

In Dec of '94 when it was decided that we were going to make improvements on the track Chris and Darrell Taylor, a State engineer of bridges and roads, measured the track. The following weekend Chris and his boss Jerry Tennyson, who was a surveyer, went to the track with a transit and Lenker rod and got elevations so Darrell could use it in his Auto-Cad. Darrell made up the drawing and the plan with an outline as if it were a State Highway project to give the paving company.

The lights were donated by Mike LaGuardia and Tom Adler helped the club obtain the poles. The bleachers, which were the East open stands at Lakeside Speedway, were donated by Rhoda krasner. Dick Pachello opened the door for John Barker, of SCR to get the grandstands.

Some of the volunteer help was Darrell and Janell Stingerie, Dewey and Katherine McNeff, Tom Adler who also painted the stands, Bob Land who welded the grandstands back together, Dick Pachello, Warren Rhoades Sr., Mike and Vicky Sylvester and Greg McLaughlin who also did welding.

Dean Wallace, Ray Norby, Daniel Ryland, Steve Smith who made the flagman stand, Don and Kirk Campbell, Don Grothendick, John Adkins, Sean Hillis and Ted Younger.

Ken and Don Bennett, and some guys from Ken's shop, Wayne Dennis, Pete Sabeff and John Barker from the SCR track. Dee Herring-Clark and her sons Chris and Tony put mothhballs in rattlesnake holes. Frank and Margaret Young and Chris and Peggy Ertler.

We should not forget all that Jerry Lee McGuire did. In addition to his duties as the announcer he also composed the weekly program and made sure that ads were sold to pay for it. He would walk the pits at every race and got to know every driver and their car. He truely entertained the croud, not just announced. Jerry Lee was a regular Billly Mays when it came to giving our door prizes. He really got the crowd into it. There were other volunteers but we can't remember all of their names, but this was the main group.

When we went to install the lights we couldn't find anyone with a big enough auger to install the poles, so we had to pay the power company to do that. I think it was either Paul Babich or Tony Rossi, but I'm not sure, who got a high ranger truck to alighn the lights. The first time we attempted it, they wouldn't let us stay after dark, so we guessed at it and afterwards we added lights to the catch fence.

Scott Layman and family of Colorado Springs who regularly raced with us donated a large quantity of snow fence from his company. And our trusty flagman was Ken Smith, who flagged a good race every time.

1996, Chris Ertler President.
The track was sold in the end of '98 the beginning of '99 to a group of road racing clubs. I don't know that CARC ever got credit for the work at SCR so they weren't included. CARC would have had to buy in, but we already put so much into it they opted to not run.

I'm sorry that Second Creek doesn't get the recognition that it should, but I'm proud of what we did out there and all the good people that gave so genersously of their time. Not too many people can say they helped build a race track.

Chris Ertler

Last edited by lakeside #29; 07-16-2009 at 05:44 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
rapid30

My Dad Warren Rhoades not only helped to build SCR, he was also the tech man for the CARC and would set up the temporary fence for the pits and parking every friday night, he was also one of the last to leave the track as he would take down the fence and roll it up to put it in the shed. Dad was also on the board, and became Vice President under Ken Bennett and Bob Land, he later became President of the CARC when they were racing in Pueblo.
Bruce
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
BillyK41
Rookie

I had the honor and thrill to win the last Mini Stock Main that CARC held at Second Creek on that last night in 1998. That was a really fun track to drive; the transition from asphalt to concrete and back to asphalt was always interesting, to say the least!
BillyK41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
lakeside #29

Hi Bruce, yes sir, your Dad was a big part of the CARC and SCR. A lot of times when I was ready to throw in the towel, he would me keep going. Your Dad would perform any task no matter what, no matter how dirty, to see the job completed. I have so much respect for Warren Sr.

Bruce your mom and dad are very special people, that was one of the reasons Peggy and I nominated them for Lifetime membership. Your mom particpated in the Powerpuff Club at Lakeside as well as she and Bernie Moore putting together the programs and selling ads for them at Lakeside.
Bruce your whole family has contributed much to CARC and Denver racing in general.

Any ommissions that I made in this post were purely unitentional. I managed to remember those names off the top of my head. That says a lot for the impression those folks made on me. We had a great group of really dedicated people.

1997 CARC president Don Grothendick
1998 CARC president Darrell Stingerie

Bill, I am glad you stuck with us at SCR. You were one of the good guys.

The cover art of the race car for the SCR program was by Dale Moore.

The #29 vintage midget shown is owned by Tom Barkley of Arlington, Kansas. He still races that car with Kansas Antique Racers. It's a 1940 Willys powered rail frame.

Chris Ertler

Last edited by lakeside #29; 07-17-2009 at 03:24 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Here's an aerial view of what used to be the oval at Second Creek Raceway

Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

More Second Creek Oval additions:

(Photo by Joe Starr) Todd Ediger picks up this Modified trophy dash in front of the Second Creek
crowd in 1996. Ediger went on to become the Modified track champion that year. –J.L.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Chris Archer does some last minute repair work on his car after
a little bumpin’ and grindin’ during an Econo heat race at Second Creek in 1996. Archer was the
1994 and 1995 Econo track champion. –J.L.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 08-19-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
carc7

What I loved about Second Creek was how we never knew how much it would cost to get into the pits until we arrived. It depended on how many cars showed. Some weeks it was $35.00 and some weeks it was more like $50.00. Good times and I learned quite a bit (like let somebody else do the welding). But I also learned about caster and camber on a circle-track racer and I got to meet Mr. Bill Kolb, who is well worth knowing! It really was an interesting section of CARC history, even for just 5 years or so. Paul B.
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote