Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default FRANK YOUNG-Retrospective

Another colorful character in Colorado racing folklore was Frank Young. Starting out with the inception of the Figure 8’s at Englewood Speedway in the mid-‘60’s, Frank raced just about everything with four wheels throughout the years at area race tracks. Always quick with a great story to tell, Frank also helped a lot of people get a start in the sport as well.

Here’s some photos I found of just a few of Frank’s numerous race cars from over the years.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Frank Young #28 is about to get t-boned by Ron “Mickey Mouse”
Warthen during 1972 Figure 8 action at Englewood Speedway. Dan O’Neil #36 slides by on
the outside.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Here’s a shot of Frank’s Cottage Inn #21 ’56 Chevy from
1977. It had just been towed to the pits after a smack at the X during a Figure 8 semi-main
at Englewood.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Along with his wife Margaret, Frank Young helped kick-start
the C.A.R.C. Mini Stock division at Second Creek Raceway in 1996. Good ol’ Frank used to
try and get me to hot lap this Mini during my tenure at S.C.R., but I didn’t have the heart
to wreck his equipment.

Frank’s laugh and great sense of humor is surely missed by those he touched during his career. Mr. Young passed away in December 2007.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: FRANK YOUNG-Retrospective

Frank was a good hearted guy. He went with us when we took #29 & #52 to Cheyenne for vintage event in May of 2007. I don't know anybody who loved racing more than Frank. He's the guy that turned me onto the #52 back in 1995. I'm glad to have called him a friend. Rest in peace Frank, we miss you.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
MM Action Photography
Rookie

I have Had the pleasure of franko's company on many occasions. I truly miss the man, him and margeret were always a great time. I will post more pictures of Frank on my photos list ASAP. Thanks for the laughs and lessons Franko....your friends The Ward Family in Cheyenne
MM Action Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
rapid30

Here is a great shot of Frank that I stole from Mike from MM Action Photography, thanks Mike.
Bruce
Attached Images

rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
BillyK41
Rookie

Frank and Margaret let me drive the previously-shown Omni for my first-ever race at Second Creek way back when (that same car they wanted you to hot lap, Jerry Lee!). Even though both Margaret and I were way back in the pack when we took the White Flag - me about a car length behind Margaret in her Pinto, with me on the outside - I still shoved the pedal down on that last lap and edged Margaret out at the stripe! I'll never forget that race; I knew then that I was hooked!!! I'll always be grateful to the both of them for allowing me to drive!!!!
BillyK41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
rapid30

Here is a shot of Frank with the CARC board of directors 2000.
L.to R. Carl Clarino, Ray Norby, Dean Carr, Kevin King, Frank, Ronnie Lee, Bob Land, Margaret Young, Warren Rhoades Sr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CARC001.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	942  

Last edited by rapid30; 12-13-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
becca_anne_76

Frank was born on October 24, 1942, in Denver to James Earl and Marjorie Young. He was 1 of 12 children. On June 21st, 1962 he married Carolyn Crabtree and together they had 5 children, Debbie, Kevin, Frank Jr., Deke and Dee Ann.

Frank worked as a mechanic at Lakeside Amusement Park, drove Tow Trucks and was also a local and long distance truck driver.

Franks’ greatest passion was racing, he first go involved at the age of 15 when he was a member of Bart Manley’s pit crew. At Lakeside Speedway. At the age of 21 he started racing Figure 8’s and Modified’s at Englewood Speedway. When Englewood Speedway closed he then went to Lakeside Speedway driving Funky Street Stock, while racing at Lakeside he teamed up with Charley Lawley and formed the Lawley-Young Race team.
When Lakeside closed he went to Ft. Morgan Raceway, now I-76 Speedway, he teamed up with Harry Garrett at that time and became part of the Garrett Racing Team.

In 1989 Frank met and married Margaret Simpson-Reeder and then went to Big Country Speedway in Cheyenne, where he drove Late Model and Margaret drove Mini Stock. Frank became active with his step-daughter Rebecca and grand-son Anthony in Quarter Midgets. He later bought a Dwarf Car and raced with the Rocky Mountain Dwarf Car Association. He then went to Second Creek and started a Mini-Stock division with the C.A.R.C. and then purchased a Modified Coupe. Frank served on the Board of Directors of the C.A.R.C. and became a Lifetime Member, an honor that he cherished. When Frank’s health detoriated he turned the driving over to his son, Kevin, who will continue to drive his Dad’s car.

Other accomplishments in Frank’s life:

He was a Professional Santa Clause for 15 yrs., he established the Annual Christmas Parade in Lochbuie and Hudson.

He served on the Board of Trustees in the Town of Lochbuie.

He was a volunteer for the South Weld Victim Services.

Had been a member of the South Weld Lion’s Club.

He was active in the Afterglow Senior Center in Lochbuie.
becca_anne_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
becca_anne_76

becca_anne_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
rapid30

In the last shot above the #19 at Lakeside, Rich Bubak is driving Frank's car for him.
rapid30
Old 08-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
onthegas

I also got to drive the omni for Frank @ SCR and won a few races with that car! Frank was always having a great time as long as he was @ the track!
onthegas is offline   Reply With Quote