Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
Chris McGee

Default Re: Speedway Royale - Sydney Showground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjeffreson View Post
As I said in the other thread.....the place was always packed.
Sometimes during the winter off season the Promoters would run afternoon shows. Nothing changed............."Standing Room Only"
The #76 and #1 cars were American built and running Offenhausers. The #4 Don Murray midget was one of the best examples of a locally built midget. It ran a 6 cylinder motor called a Holden.They were built in Australia by General Motors Holden, the Australian division of your GM Company. The #2 car was also built in America... some time in the 1940s I believe. It was still a good quick car in the 60s with a Holden motor under the bonnet.....I mean hood... as you guys say!!!.

On any Saturday night it was packed. When the USAC guys hit town I believe that they had as many as 30,000 spectators. Among those spectators were celebrities from the entertainment industry and racing luminaries. I remember meeting Formula One champion Jim Clark, visiting for the Tasman Series, who was enthralled with the action.
Chris McGee
Chris McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #32
numbbers
Old Guy

Bob, I always enjoy posts from the Land Down Under. There are only three countries that have excellent open wheel dirt track racing. OZ, NZ, and the USA. I need to visit there some time.

Thanks, Dave Russell
numbbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #33
Wayne Arner
Rookie

This place looks FAST!At 570 yards, it would be just under a 3/8 mile, what time did the Midgets turn it in? Was this the place where Johnnie Tolan had his bad accident down there? Thanks for posting the picture of the Track, I don't think I've ever seen it published anywhere before.
Wayne Arner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #34
bobjeffreson

Wayne,
Yes it was fast and narrow. In the day, midgets lapped in 18secs.I seem to recall that Marshall Sargent did that time as well, in a big Super Modified.
Yes... this is the track where Johnnie Tolan had his career ending wreck. The year was 1964. He was touring with Bob Tattersall and Jimmy Davies
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
bobjeffreson

Hey Chris,
Got any old photos from the Kings Cross days. I love to see them and I'm certain the rest of the Forum would also!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #36
numbbers
Old Guy

Quote:
Wayne,
Yes it was fast and narrow. In the day, midgets lapped in 18secs.I seem to recall that Marshall Sargent did that time as well, in a big Super Modified.
Yes... this is the track where Johnnie Tolan had his career ending wreck. The year was 1964. He was touring with Bob Tattersall and Jimmy Davies
Johnnie Tolan was a friend of my Dad. They raced together at Englewood and Lakeside. I still have some pictures of him somewhere.

Thanks, Dave Russell
numbbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
bobjeffreson

A short clip of midgets at the Sydney Showground Speedway......1960s.

http://speedwayroyale.homestead.com/Movie.wmv
Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #38
bobjeffreson

Here's a photo of turn 1....the bullpen's corner at the Showground.
Those famous gates below the yellow signs, are where the bulls were released when rodeos were held.
Midgets riding a wheel and getting up into that structure was worrying for drivers and spectators!
The Clock Tower stand would be full when the likes of Tattersall, Marshall Sargent came to town.
As a 15 year old, I would stand on the grassed area and jump the fence to get the driver's light weight throw away goggles...don't think tear-offs had been invented then..... LOL

Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #39
Chris McGee

Quote:
Hey Chris,
Got any old photos from the Kings Cross days. I love to see them and I'm certain the rest of the Forum would also!
Lots of photos. How do you post them?
Chris McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #40
bobjeffreson

Chris,
Photos need to be on a hosting site. I use Photobucket.
If the photos are not already in your computer they will need to be scanned to My Pictures.You will then go to Photobucket and upload the to that site. they then can be copied to the Forum.Photobucket may have a tutorial to assist.Would love to see some of your personal pics.I recall standing outside your shop in the 'Cross, hoping to get a glimpse of Tattersall.