Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
bobjeffreson

Default Tatterall's Midgets

Just going through Mitch G's gallery. Came across these two photos of Bob Tattersall. This guy was one of the very best midget drivers ever. He owned the Sydney Showground! I was lucky enough to see him at his prime.

A collector in Australia has 2 of the Stroud midgets that Tattersall raced in Australia. They are restored to original Stroud/Tattersall livery. There is some debate in America as to whether they are in fact the real cars.The Australian, Graham Gallagher reckons he has had the cars verifed by the Stroud family.

Here's the #3 car as we see it at vintage meets today......

This is the other Stroud midget raced by Tattersall in Australia and now owned by Graham Gallagher.

Last edited by bobjeffreson; 11-29-2009 at 11:36 PM.
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Tatterall's Midgets

Bob, me and Sean Hillis (a excellent fabricator, ex sprint and midget shoe, and current vintage racing expert) both posted on the HAMB web site, and this site, regarding the ex Stroud Edmunds Offy. I'm not sure, but I believe that Bob Olds in Denver has a photo of Jim Beckley (a great Denver midget driver) in the "Hut 100" at Terre Haute, IN. This would be 1970?, when he picked the car up from Stroud, and the car is still in Stoud color's. When back in Denver, Olds painted the car a beautiful deep red with silver leaf numbers, and named it "LuLu's Honker" for his wife. Point being, if this photo, or photo's exist (maybe a entry form from that race) that would help clear up the questions about the Stroud car that ended up in Denver, maybe. Here again it may be a inaccurate memory on my part, Olds told me many story's about the car, but it's been 20+ years since I heard them. LeRoy Byers has the ex Olds, Stroud, car in Denver now, maybe Sean Hillis could talk to him also.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
bobjeffreson

Mitch,
Whatever the answer is, I'm just happy to have Offenhauser powered midgets running at full throttle at our vintage shows, that remind me of days gone by. Forget about your Fontanas, Pinks, Esslingers, Hawks etc.....a midget should sound like a OFFY as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
bobjeffreson

Bob Tattersall on the infield, Sydney Showground mid 1960s....

His midget as it restored today.....

We are extremely lucky to have dedicated Australian enthusiasts that allow us to see these wonderful cars as they appeared in past times
Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
ArtworxFX
Rookie

Bob Tattersall was very popular over here He sure did draw the crowds! I was only young in the 60's, I can just remember him! He visited here on many occasions! Some of his Offys have stayed here and have been restored as you have mentioned,
Another car that is still here in Brisbane is the Conklin Offy from about 1968? Its a glamour I shall put some pics up when I work it out! Plus I have done a artwork print of this same car! Great times for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LLspeedway  tattersall 1 SMALL.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1379   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2813.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1380  
ArtworxFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Mitch G.

Nice!! Harry Conklin is a longtime Denver racing figure, I grew up watching his cars from the 1960's till the early 2000's. Great artwork, post some more of your stuff!!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
CTtoPA

There was a black #3 he drove in the USA and AUS that will be getting restored shortly.
CTtoPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
bobjeffreson

The black #3 that Tattersall raced in Australia was this unit. It was the the Mattoon Motors Offy. Reputed to be the best car to accompany Tattersall to Australia.

Last edited by bobjeffreson; 11-05-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
CTtoPA

Yes Bob, that's the car! I'm not sure when the project will begin but I will be stopping by the shop Monday so I can find out and then keep you updated.
CTtoPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
bobjeffreson

Back in the early 1960s a story went around that Bob Tatterasll won a Feature at Rowley Park Speedway Adelaide South Australia, on 3 wheels......
HE DIDN"T....but it did make a great story as I said.
He did eventually retire the car towards the end of the Race after quite a distance driving the 'trike'......