Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Danny60
Danny Elliott's Ghost

Smile New Member Raced at lakeside CO in mid 80s

Hi I'm Danny Elliott .I came across this site and thought it was great. I ran L Late model #60. In 84' I won the championship ! I had so much fun battling with Doug Longo . Normally we where so close in points it was pretty intense. Doug's car was a little faster so I always had to give up a point to him on timing in. Made it challenging to say the least . When I was 6 or 7 years old My Dad would take me to Lakeside and Englewood . My favorite driver was Sammy Sauer . I was able to meet him in the pits one night and to me he was a star! I told him some day I would race cars and I will use #60. I have to go but I will post more and some pictures as soon as I get a chance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 024 copy.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 025 copy.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 026 copy.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1455  

Last edited by Danny60; 11-21-2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: i spell like a 5 year old
Danny60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
thpracing
thpracing

Default Re: New Member Raced at lakeside CO in mid 80s

welcome to the site danny---i remember your car well, and longo's---he beat us for the championship in the limiteds in 82---hope you post some more pix---i think you'll like this site--kevin t.
thpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny60 View Post
Hi I'm Danny Elliott .I came across this site and thought it was great. I ran L Late model #60. In 84' I won the championship ! I had so much fun battling with Doug Longo . Normally we where so close in points it was pretty intense. Doug's car was a little faster so I always had to give up a point to him on timing in. Made it challenging to say the least . When I was 6 or 7 years old My Dad would take me to Lakeside and Englewood . My favorite driver was Sammy Sauer . I was able to meet him in the pits one night and to me he was a star! I told him some day I would race cars and I will use #60. I have to go but I will post more and some pictures as soon as I get a chance
Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges!

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
rapid30

Danny, Glad to see you on here, hope you find as much enjoyment as we all do here.
Bruce "rapid30" Rhoades
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Danny60
Danny Elliott's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by thpracing View Post
welcome to the site danny---i remember your car well, and longo's---he beat us for the championship in the limiteds in 82---hope you post some more pix---i think you'll like this site--kevin t.
Thanks Kevin: It was 83' the year Longo won the championship .I can't remember who won it in 82" But that was my first year at Lakeside. For some reason the Grand stand wall had a love affair with my car. I told my brother one time I don't know what happened I was just going down the straight and Boom! The wall just came out and smacked me. That was my red Nova. I have some pictures of it . I had a big fire at my shop and lost a lot of pictures but still have a few . I'll see if I can find them.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
Danny60
Danny Elliott's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges!

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
Thank you ! I really enjoy this site!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
Danny60
Danny Elliott's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid30 View Post
Danny, Glad to see you on here, hope you find as much enjoyment as we all do here.
Bruce "rapid30" Rhoades
I remember you Bruce. I was looking at your pictures .Pretty hot looking cars you have . I was impressed by your racing back round. I wish I could have kept racing like you did
Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
thpracing
thpracing

hey danny---82 was the first year of the limited latemodels at lakeside and as far as I know, Doug was the first champ---he won the championship in the last few weeks, after chasing us ----the difference was only a few points---lot of fast cars in that field, but Moose and Doug were the ones to beat!!!---everyone who saw the petty car during preseason thought it was the car to beat--unfortunatly, we had to replace the body for the last race or 2 and it slowed us down just enuff to lose the championship--when u and Moose raced each other in 84, it was in our stogsdill dodge---what did u end up doing after Lakeside....kt
thpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
lakeside #29

Hi Danny, Glad you found this site. There's a lot Lakeside and Englewood guys on here regularlly. I hope you enjoy yourself. Are you still doing Corvette work?
Looking forward to your photos and stories.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 AM   #10
Danny60
Danny Elliott's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by thpracing View Post
hey danny---82 was the first year of the limited latemodels at lakeside and as far as I know, Doug was the first champ---he won the championship in the last few weeks, after chasing us ----the difference was only a few points---lot of fast cars in that field, but Moose and Doug were the ones to beat!!!---everyone who saw the petty car during preseason thought it was the car to beat--unfortunatly, we had to replace the body for the last race or 2 and it slowed us down just enuff to lose the championship--when u and Moose raced each other in 84, it was in our stogsdill dodge---what did u end up doing after Lakeside....kt
I remember Moose. And I remember that car it was Orange and had this long swoop down nose. He hit the wall right in front of me once. I slammed on my brakes so hard I bout pulled my steering wheel off but still slammed in to him thinking I Hope he wasn't mad at me. OK as far as Longo I assume your talking about his first black car with the fiberglass body .He won the championship with it in 83'.I know this because I traded him a engine for the chassis and roll cage from that car. He was building a new one for 84' and that was the chassis I used for my blue car that I won with in 84' .I wasn't chasing points in 83' I was still learning. I only ran 4 or 5 nights before I totaled the Nova. I was a little too aggressive (stupid) but got a lot better and most of the time finished second or third but could not pull off a win for trying .In 82 when I met Doug he was driving a silver car with a funky automatic that didn't use a torque converter. The funny thing is the blue car wasn't much faster then my red Nova but I was a lot more confident with it .The first night in 84 I won the T dash ,Fast heat and the Main. That car ran like it was possessed. Even with me crashing it it just kept going. OK I'm ranting I tell you more a little later