Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #31
impala
Rookie

Smile Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Well as promised i found the program from Pikes Peak Speedway. It was my last vist before discharge from the Army in 1970 This was opening night first of May.Now if i can figure out how to get it all on the site we will be in business. The info and pictures from almost 40 years ago are priceless. For once i'am glad to be a packrat. Give me a little time as i want to post for all the old timers to enjoy. Anybody else have any more old pictures from 68 to 70 of the track?
impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #32
Mike Croley

Default Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Thats great news , i can't wait . I contacted Brad Foster , Carl Fosters' son about re-submitting some of his great photos from the old days . Carl Foster had some of the best looking and fastest cars at Pikes Peak Speedway . His photos were lost to the crm site , hopefully he'll put some of them up here .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #33
impala
Rookie

Smile Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Hope to work with the wife tonight on posting some of the program pictures and info. I have been to many race tracks in the last 40 years but none that have the memories as that old track. As i was looking through the program it was if it was only last weekend not almost 40 years. How many of the old drivers are still around ? I remember that Larry Carnes did run Stock cars up the hill in the 70's. I really hope that some more pictures show up i can't be the only one that is a pack rat.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #34
Mike Croley

I feel the same way about PPS . Over in the drivers section of this site i posted some pictures of Larry Carnes including his Pikes Peak Hillclimb car .
I'm really hoping someone comes up with a photo of Ron Cogdills' car from Pikes Peak Speedway . Around 1967 or 1968 Ron built a 56 Ford Victoria that was metalflake red with a metalflake silver roof . It had real long chrome organ pipes sticking up through the hood ( which was louvered ) for exhaust and for a short while he had E T mag wheels on it . The rules required double center wheel , so he cut the centers out of another set of E T mag wheels and welded them in place . The car even had red metalflake seat and roll bar padding . Ron built many beautiful show cars , and that 56 Ford was as nice as any car in any custom car show . In fact he did show it before racing it . A few years later it was sitting outside of Bill and Bobs Auto Service , just the
shell .

Last edited by Mike Croley; 10-06-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #35
JRKracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
Heres a photo of Lloyd Axel in a beautiful midget , taken in the infield at Pikes Peak Speedway .
::Just so you know this is Loyds second car that Burt McNeise drove.
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #36
Mike Croley

Thank you for that info . I first thought it was Burt , and then i let someone convince me it wasn't . Now i know for sure .
Old 10-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #37
Mike Croley

As for the question of WHERE ARE THEY NOW , a lot of the PPS drivers are still in Colorado Springs . Wes Vandervort and Ronnie McDowell are no longer with us . I'm not sure where Larry Carnes is . Larry Martin , Alvin Browning , Mike Bonecelli , Jack Gabardi , Bob Silvers , Harry Wichman , Bill Geddes , Mahlon Saunders , Jim Webb , Glen Bowers , Lynn Cowen , Ray Daniels , and Dick Heikes were still in the Springs the last i heard . Bill Clarke was up in Golden . This info is several years old , so i don't know how acurate it is .
Jim Willy ( car builder for Ronnie McDowell , Mike Wooley , Paul Elder ) still has Jims Auto Service in the Springs .
Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #38
JRKracer

Wink Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
Thank you for that info . I first thought it was Burt , and then i let someone convince me it wasn't . Now i know for sure .
You are welcome!! Some times I look at stuff and my memory tells me one thing and reality is another. That car , however I know well because all my life people have tried to convince me it is my dads car. Dads was bought from Bussard after 6 races in 47. That car was already sold to Hal Robb and was racing out on the west coast. That is the reason for my certainty. You have great pictures. thanks for sharing.
Joe Kouba
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #39
impala
Rookie

Mike, I looked for a picture of Ron Cogdills car as do remember it after you mentioned it but no luck. I can tell you he was track Champion in 65 and 68 and i don't believe he ran full time in 69 at least he didn't finish in the top 10 in points. I will try to post the program complete as it has alot of really neat Info. In 1970 there 101 car numbers registered to drivers / Owners. Its no wonder that they often ran a Hooligan race. Judging from the picture of Larry Carnes car from just 4 years later they must of had a major rule change on cars and Specs. Anybody have any idea of the assocation rules from later years. What was the last year the track ran? I was in Denver on business In 1981 drove down to the Springs to look things over. The Track buildings were gone but the old tires that lined the inside of the corners were still in place.In fact that is how i found the place. I sure would like to hear some of the later history of the track.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #40
Mike Croley

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Mike, I looked for a picture of Ron Cogdills car as do remember it after you mentioned it but no luck. I can tell you he was track Champion in 65 and 68 and i don't believe he ran full time in 69 at least he didn't finish in the top 10 in points. I will try to post the program complete as it has alot of really neat Info. In 1970 there 101 car numbers registered to drivers / Owners. Its no wonder that they often ran a Hooligan race. Judging from the picture of Larry Carnes car from just 4 years later they must of had a major rule change on cars and Specs. Anybody have any idea of the assocation rules from later years. What was the last year the track ran? I was in Denver on business In 1981 drove down to the Springs to look things over. The Track buildings were gone but the old tires that lined the inside of the corners were still in place.In fact that is how i found the place. I sure would like to hear some of the later history of the track.
I believe the track closed in 1978 . I never really heard why , though i'm sure money probably had something to do with it , because it always drew a good field of cars and plenty of fans . Might have been forced to close so that the interchange could be built . The rules were still pretty much the same . The track remains were still visable for years on satellite photos before the interchange went in . Thanks for the info on the Ron Cogdill #210 . People think i'm joking about a short track stock car being built to the level of the very best custom show cars , and then actually being raced each week . But it sure was . Hurry and post that program !!
Speaking of tracks that were forced to close for interchanges to be built . Sunshine Speedway in St. Petersburg FL. was closed a number of years ago so that a highway interchange could be built there . After the track was closed , the DOT re-paved it , re-striped the surface and to this day uses it for testing of toll booths . Yep , there is a three lane wide toll booth at the start finish line . What a waste of an oval track . Of course not a week goes by that there isn't a rumour of the track starting back up , but it will never happen .