Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Pat Petrie 1974

Here's another one for the Professor.
From a 1974 Lakeside Speedway program, race meet #4, May 19, 1974
Sam Sauer still had the one lap coupe track record in Ralph Young's #60 at 12:84
Day Day was leading the points. The program says this car got 2nd place in the Saber bros. auto show. The program is not too clear, but it seems the photo shows, Left to right, Jim Bilknap, Rex Pentico, Pat Petrie, not sure who the last guy is, Pat worked for the Jefferson County School District. Seems to me this car was orange with yellow and black trim? Too bad it has a wing on it.
So Professor, gives us more details!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Pat Petrie 1974

This another beautiful car of Mr. Petrie's that graced Lakeside. Pat always had well constructed cars that sported professional looking paint jobs and professional lettering. Pat built his cars and don't know that this was an old car recycled. Pat was always a crowd favorite. He didn't need to resort to dirty driving, he had that much talent. His cars were eye-catching, fast, and handled well.

This particular car was red or dark orange with gold panels and silver black and white numerals. The sideboards of the wing were gold with a black border. It ran gold wheels. This car has sign work by "superstroke" Mr. Rick Losh. Pat ran a smallblock Chevy that had an abundance of horsepower. It was a given that he would be in the trophy dash and toward the rear of the main event. On the main events, we were running inverted starts in those days, meaning the fast cars were at the rear.

Missing in this photo is Pat's dad Sam. I don't remember if he was still helping in the pits in '74. Sam served on the CARC board of directors . Pat served on the board as well as being CARC president. Both Sam and Pat were honored as CARC lifetime members

The young fellow who is not identified is Pat's brother-in-law Jeff Anderson. Jeff was himself was a good driver at Lakeside as well as an excellent fabricator. Jeff went on to drive sprint cars and I think midgets and his son Mike is running modified coupes with CARC and a 305 sprint car.

Hopefully Jeff Anderson will add to this post and provide more information.

Pat's a good guy and won 4 championships. It was a pleasure to have had my car compete against him. He really should be the Colrordo Motorsports Hall of Fame.

Chris Ertler-"professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside #29 View Post
The young fellow who is not identified is Pat's brother-in-law Jeff Anderson. Jeff was himself was a good driver at Lakeside as well as an excellent fabricator. Jeff went on to drive sprint cars and I think midgets and his son Mike is running modified coupes with CARC and a 305 sprint car.

Hopefully Jeff Anderson will add to this post and provide more information.

Pat's a good guy and won 4 championships. It was a pleasure to have had my car compete against him. He really should be the Colrordo Motorsports Hall of Fame.

The Anderson's black #77 coupe is stunning! It's certainly one of the best looking mod coupes running today.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
superstroke

From the Chris Ertler collection, here is a shot of Pat Petries #1 CARC Modified stocker being trailered through the pit gate at Colorados Lakeside Speedway. It is hot lap day, April 1974, and Pat is ready to lay down some rubber with his latest creation. This car was lettered by Rick Losh. To the right in this photo, you can see the famous Lakeside Amusement Park Tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chris ertler pat petrie 1974.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	810  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
lakeside #29

Rick, Thank you once again for posting one of my photos.

Chuck Kacin and I had just bought our pit passes and were waiting for Pat's car and trailer to pass when I took this shot. Great looking car.

Rick, Good pick-up, I took this picture 35 years ago and never noticed the tower in the background

lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote