Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
superstroke

Default Chuck Starr #70 Lakeside Nash Metro

From the Bruce Rhoades collection, here is a shot taken in front of Lake Rhoda outside the fence of Colorados Lakeside Speedway. You can see Lakeside Nat'l Banks building in the background. This shot is from Lakeside Speedways Official Program dated August 10, 1975. According to the program, Jack Graham led Blu Plemons and Bernie Sawin for the modifieds point race. Chuck Starr was holding down a respectiful 7th place. Bernie Sawin is shown as driving Al Starrs #7. For some reason I do not remember Bernie driving Al's fast little modified. Anyway, its a great phot of some fast iron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec04215.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	932  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
rapid30

Default Re: Chuck Starr #70 Lakeside Nash Metro

That is Chuck's little brother Jimmy who went on to drive this car in 1978 after they put the Capri body on it and Chuck had gone on to race Sprint Cars. This was Jim's first foray into driving racecars. Both of the Starr brothers were very successful Sprint Car drivers. Today Jim is a promoter for the ASCS sprint car series.
rapid30
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
rapid30

The Metropolitan body on this car was rescued from the yard of Paul Foster who at the time lived at 88th and Wadsworth, if I remember correctly.
rapid30
Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
thpracing
thpracing

bruce--am I correct in assuming that this car went on to be the car that I bought in 84 from Terry Stubblefied--?--if so--the chassis went to Butch Wallace's cousin, who lived about a mile from our shop at 351 s lowell-for about 500 in 88--kt
thpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
rapid30

Yep, Kevin that would be one in the same.
Bruce
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
thpracing
thpracing

thaanx bruce--you're always up on this stuff--another question--the pix of this car with the nash body on it---was this the original configuration of this car?? the reason I ask, the A pillar bars on this car with this body match perfectly--when I got this car the capri body was cracked and I didn't run it, and I noticed the bars didn't mate up as well with the capri body---I sure like the old style wing on this car--set all the way back too----it was great at the banquet to finally meet Al Starr---never met him at Lakeside and he was very interested to hear what happened with the car---kt
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
rapid30

Kevin,
I believe that Al & Chuck built this car around the Metro body. I always liked the Metro as it was way different than anyone else who ran at Lakeside.
rapid30
Old 12-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
lakeside #29

Dean Wallace put a 302 Ford in that chassis but never finished the car. He worked on it in Uncle Arnold's garage. The city got after Arnold about the Plymouth body, so it got hauled to the dump. Not really sure what Dean did with the chassis. By the time Butch came back to driving for me at Second Creek everything was gone.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
thpracing
thpracing

very interesting--we first ran the plymouth body on moose's 83 car--dan day modified--I don't remember if it was with the car when we bought it, but I remember picking uo the body in Edgewater somerwhere, and it was a rusty mess then-- there is a pic of this car under thpracing pix---I'm trying to download the only pic I have of the starr carr--taken at lakeside preseason 85--orange with no #'s--thanx guys--kt
Old 12-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
thpracing
thpracing

[ I found this pic of my 85 car---this is the al starr #7 with the Sammy Saur Plymouth body__ some quirky things about this car, and I'm not sure if these details were original to the car----
the seat sat at an angle, I guess to plant your butt firmly in the corner--this was a center style car, with the seat over the driveshaft, in the center of the car----
it had a olds toranado tilt steering shaft in it, and you moved it out of the way when you got in and out of the car---
it had 2 brake pedals--1 on either side of the bellhousing--so you could rite or left foot brake without moving your feet much--(I'm a Lefty)---
it also had leaf springs--
it also had a portion ot the top of the dash/firewall that was clear--so you could look thru to the front tires (if you had the time!)---
and lastly, it had a hand clutch--a lot of them do---but to drive this thing was an art---push clutch with left hand-- grab the shiter with rite hand (between legs)1rst gear--- let out clutch---accelerate--push clutch--shift--let out clutch---accelerate--and now that you had at least 1 hand back on the wheel and were moving at a good clip; I would pull 1 end of a bungy cord out from under the tach mount, wrap it twice around the shifter handle, and clip it back under the mount!!!!all this takes about a styraight away---and you reverse the procedure when you came back in. You would only forget to bungie it 1 time---I know--OUCh----kt

Last edited by thpracing; 12-10-2009 at 05:58 PM.