Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
parrot

Default R.M.S.C.R.A. Modifieds

Remember the early days of the Sabers Auto Show held at the Denver Coluseum? I only missed the first one, then made it a point to get there every year thereafter. My favorite part of the show was the outer ring where Englewood and Lakeside Speedway stock car associations would have their displays with some of the new cars built and ready for the season. Both tracks essentially fielded the same type of car, a mostly stock bodied early coupe or sedan. But in 1963 we had a surprise in store for us; The Rocky Mountain Stock Car Racing Assoc. was changing direction and had a display of seven cars, now with shortened, narrowed, channeled bodies similar to those seen on the west coast. The only difference, was that the Englewood Speedway cars continued using flatheads, straight sixes (and a Pontiac Tempest four cyl.) for a few more years. This was exciting. I began snapping photos, and here are four of them, sort of an example of several years/makes/models; help me if I've gotten some of the drivers incorrect, but I think they were, #5, either Ken or Dave Chambers, #6 Joe Lehman, #50 Roger Webb (a cut down '35 Hudson four door) and #74, either Bill Nickolson or Tom Leonard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E'Wood #5.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	525   Click image for larger version

Name:	E'Wood #6.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	526   Click image for larger version

Name:	W'Wood #50.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	527   Click image for larger version

Name:	E'Wood #74.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	528  
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: R.M.S.C.R.A. Modifieds

Thanks for posting these BP! I just love these Modifieds. I spotted Pete Stringer's #106 behind the Chambers #5 car. What a beautiful car Rodger Webb's #50 was. 'Passionate Purple' I think they called it. Post more of these if you have them!

I've got a couple of Sabers Auto Show programs somewhere from '68 & '69. They're as cool as race track programs what with all the old ads and stuff. I wonder if my dad (Olen) remembers taking me to these shows???

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 07-28-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Yeah I remember going to a couple of those shows.It was a great way to get close to a lot of the cars without the hassle of going to the pit area (which Jerry never minded that). Yeah Bill, if you have more of those pics,please post them.If Jerry can find those old Saber Programs we'll post them.~Olen
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
lakeside #29

Parrot, thank you for these photos,these were some beautifiul cars. I don't know a whole lot about Englewood cars from that period so I am really enjoying looking at them.

A couple things I remember, Roger Webb and Wayne Stallsworth were friends. Bill Nicholson was Terry Boyle's next door neighbor when Terry was growing up. Bill lived one door east of Terry. Joe Lehman is related, and I'm not sure exactly how, to figure 8 and late model driver Chuck Jarman.

Again thank you.

Chris Ertler

Last edited by lakeside #29; 07-28-2009 at 06:03 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Mitch G.

Wow, tremendous photo's! I loved the modified's at Englewood, and I remember going to the Sabers show, and after leaving there, Dad would take me to "Warm ups" (pre season practice for the CARC coupes) at Lakeside Speedway. Man that made for one great day! I have a Englewood Speedway program for a modified race from 1970, brings back great memories.
PS: This gets my vote for "post of the week"....so far!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
VintageBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
PS: This gets my vote for "post of the week"....so far!
I agree with Mitch G. Great post, Bill! It brought back a lot of memories for me too. ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olen McGuire View Post
Yeah I remember going to a couple of those shows.It was a great way to get close to a lot of the cars without the hassle of going to the pit area (which Jerry never minded that). Yeah Bill, if you have more of those pics,please post them.If Jerry can find those old Saber Programs we'll post them.~Olen
What I don't understand is why I didn't take any photos of the Lakeside cars at the Sabers show. Is it posible that they didn't have a display that year? Wish I'd started using a camera a few years earlier. Anyway, here are photos of the other three Englewood cars from that 1963 Sabers show. Jerry Lee, you're right, that is Pete Stringer's #106, but I don't have any info on the other two. Do you happen to have a '63 Englewood program? Interesting to see just how these guys modified those old bodies; two variations on a '32 Tudor in the #49 and #106. The Model A bodied #69 doesn't really appear to be narrowed like some of the others, but they sure wacked a bunch off the lower part of the body. It was fun just to see how creative these guys could be. Some were better looking than others, (the race car nosed #60 that Sam Sauer drove a few years later, comes to mind), but a few of them were just plain ugly! Think I have a few more somewhere, will post them when I can. BP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E'Wood #49.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	532   Click image for larger version

Name:	E'Wood #106.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	533   Click image for larger version

Name:	E'Wood #69.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	534  
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
Mitch G.

That 69E, coupe is awesome, gotta' love the shiny tires, chrome radiator shell, and the Clay Smith logo in front of the number, who's car is this?
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Thomas E

Not wanting to detract from the topic or those fabulous photo's . . .

But does anyone here (ARM) remember a white and (light) blue '34 Ford three window number 97. Unless my senior thoughts a misfiring like cross wired flathead, I would sware that I saw it (1960 or earlier) once in a while on South Knox Court between West Expostion Avenue and West Kentucky Avenue. Stock '34 Ford coupe width and a narrowed cut-down.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
rapid30

Thanks for posting these pictures, these old cars are very cool.
Bruce
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote