Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #11
thpracing
thpracing

Default Re: 32 Ford

Yeah..paul the old ford vs chevy debate---another reason you didn't see many fords locally--especially lakeside--some of the old rules stated no engines larger than 350 ci before boring--wich left the cleves out--I,m talking strictly about the higher classes here--when we first started, we tried small and big block fords as we had a lot of old ford c%$%p laying around--holding doors open, etc---the 289-302 motors were to small and the 390+ motors were too big for lakeside--Ricky P. Parker---the P in THP--ran a merc in 80-81 with a 351c in it and it was an expenswive motor to maintain and build--we then went Mopar and the rest is history---kt...ps---before I went stock car racing, I was a drag/street racer locally---71 to 75...big block chevelle---never got beat by a ford---and at Lakeside--same thing---don't get me wrong, there were fords racing--but I think the avaiability of go-fast parts for chevys---pretty much set the tone for that era--kt...ppppssss...steve and I are looking for any sheetmetal for 1928 fords--have a front half from and old Ronnie Lee car and back half from org. 28--any help---kevin
thpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
carc7

Talking Re: 32 Ford

KT: Call Kenny Bennett at 303-893-4239. If he doesn't have a body handy, he'll know who does.
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
lakeside #29

Donnie, in the '60's and '70's there were a variety of Ford engines available. There was the Y-block, the big block, and the smallblock. The Y-block could be made to perform very well but lacked the performance potential of the smallblock Chevy. The Y-block was a popular engine at Englewood Speedway in the figure 8' where their low end torque was an advantage. The Y-block was also heavier than a Chevy. There wasn't much in the line of factory speed parts that you could use on a short track. They had run in NASCAR in the '50's and had been equipted with a centrifugal supercharger. They also offered a dual 4 barrel set up most often seen in Thunderbirds. All this wasn't useable on local tracks. The big block benefitted from many factory hot rod parts many aimed at drag racing. These also ran NASCAR. They had some trick 427's with crossbolt main caps and tunnel port heads. Darrell Stingerie had an awsome 427 that he ran in a Torino and a Mustang. I believe Fritz Wilson also ran one in his Comet Late model. Ford also had a single overhead cam big block. I seem to remember NASCAR banned it, so most of it's glory came in drag racing. The big block was a very heavy engine. It made it hard to set up a car with so much nose weight. The smallblock Ford was a neat engine. It was a thin walled casting and was lighter than a smallblock Chevy and would rev freely. It debuted as a 221 and grew to 260 for the Mustang and went to 289 and later 302. It eventaully became a 351. The small Ford had small ports but all that changed with the 351. The later 400, 429 and 460 can be traced to this line of engines.

There were two 351's. A Windsor and a Cleveland, named for their cities of origin. Followed by the Boss 302 and Boss 351. These two had huge ports. It seemed like you could stick your hand up them. This design is what engine builders like Robert Yates, Ernie Elliot, and Jack Roush developed for use in NASCAR. Butch Wallace ran a Boss 302 in his Modified at Lakeside in the early '70's. The Mustang that Wayne Stallsworth ran at Englewood was the work of Ralph Young. It was rumored at the time that he imported engine parts from Australia. Supposedly the Aussie parts such as crankshafts were better quality than the US counterparts. Mr. Young invested a sizeable about of money in his engines.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 11-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
thpracing
thpracing

hey prof---there was also the 351 M for michigan motor--i have also heard this refered to as a 351 modified---its been about 30 years, so I don't remember which ford family it was related to--I know the windsor and cleve motors were different in ther basic design, and I think the M motor had roots in the cleve design---I'm not a Ford man---chevy and dodge pls---straight up---kt
Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #15
superstroke

All I know is that when Wayne Stallsworths Mustang was on...nothing could touch it. But when it exploded...there was nothing left. The explosions, I have heard, happened quite regularly and were very costly. Funny though, the Ford straight sixes were more economical than the Chevy sixes in the modified division.
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
thpracing
thpracing

I was off by a year the other nite when I was looking for body parts---Its a 1927 model T 2door ---tall body with the flat roof---we hve Ronnie Lees maroon #8 cowl and partial door panels---and we have the back half---(rear door jams back and no trunk lid--the only other bod we have is last years and it would need to be cut and widened 2-3 inches to be legal next year. We are thinking of bringing the T car out as a "rat rod" style c-mod---flat black and chopped?---maybe superstroke can pinstripe it???---kt