Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Lakeside Coupes

From a 1973 Lakeside Speedway program for the CARC modifieds. The featured driver for that week was Jim Moore in Chris Ertler's coupe. In the photo from left to right, Jim (lunchmeat) Moore, Chris Ertler, and Melvin (snowflake) Hesser. Geeez, you just have to love those coupes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carc_93.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	54  
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
rapid30

Default Re: Lakeside Coupes

Here is a shot of one of the greatest from 1967, Sam Sauer in the Ralph Young Plymouth which held the track record for nearly a decade. On opening night of 1967 Sam turned a 12:84
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sauer #60 1967.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	86  
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
lakeside #29

Thanks Mitch, for posting this photo of my old #93. This is one of the least remembered cars at Lakeside. I bought this car in 1972 from Clarence Krieger. It had been one of Larry Dechant's old cars from the mid 60's. The engine was built by Larry Dechant and a real screamer, but the car wasn't up to it. Neither Jim nor I had any experience with a 4 springer and that caused us problems all year.

Jim flipped the car July 4, 1973 which was captured in a photo that seemed to get in the program every year thereafter. Jim quit driving race cars shortley after that. Roy Jackson timed it in for me one week and Rick Cook drive it the next week end. The car was crashed in hot laps in a collision with Don Carelli.

Gene and Doug Plue introduced me to Ed Mailo and I put him in the car. Figure 8 star Terry Boyle, his crew chief Mike Colitti and I rebuilt the car that winter. I got the 3 window couple body from Clarence Krieger and Terry painted it yellow-orange. Mike Young lettered it #29 at Ed's request. Ed wanted to make sure the number had a 9 in it, and also wanted red on the car. So the numbers were red, as were the wheels at the first of the year. It was the perfict match. Ed won 3 trophy dashes and 2 main events in that car in 1974. We finished the year 4th in owner points and 5th in driver points. My current car #29 could and should be concedered a tribute to Ed Mailo. Cancer took him in about 1980.

Believe it or not, I had a guy all but call me a lier about my old cars. Trust me, I really was there. This isn't made up.Thank you for showing proof that I didn't lie.

Chris Ertler #29 Modified
Former CARC President,
Former CARC Historian and
Life Time Member
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Mitch G.

Was that Rick Cook, the flat track motorcycle racer? do you have any color photo's of those old coupes? I vaguely remember the #93 car, but I spent most my nights at the midgets, but always bought a program when I went to a CARC show, I love those coupes. Thanks for posting your personal history behind that photo, really brings it to life!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
lakeside #29

Mitch, you have a great memory. Yes, it was Rick Cook the motorcycle racer. At the time we both worked for Gene Plue. Rick had bought a midget from Mike Dire and wanted to get some seat time at Lakeside. After getting put in the wall he kind of re-thought the whole car racing thing.

As a motorcycle racer Rick was one of the best in the area. He was an AMA Nation Junior and only lacked a few points from getting his National Expert license.

I know I have color photos of the car. Will have to see about getting them posted.

Thanks a lot.
Chris Ertler
Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Hey Chris! Good to have you on here with some insight. Loved hanging out at your garage back in the day listening to stories and fiddling around with the #29 Modified.

Thanks to Chris Ertler I was the CARC track announcer for those Friday night race shows at the old Second Creek Raceway through the mid-'90's.

Hope you and Peg are doing well.

--J.L.M.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
superstroke

Also in this picture, Clarence Kreigers #83, and if you look to the far left corner, you will see "Cyclopse". Cyclopse was the name given to the 194? International car hauler by Bob and Jim Brown. More details on this car hauler can be found in the "stock car" forum under Bob and Jim Browns Seventy Seven X.

Rick Losh
Superstroke
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
lakeside #29

Hi Superstroke,
I haven't looked at that photo closely in a long time. The "Old Binder" in the background was still Fritz's at the time and he was hauling the Comet late model. It's funny, I know own the Clarence Krieger #83 as #29. The car behind it is a '32 Ford couple #15, that was owened by Bill Backman. I sold it to him, and yes, that's Scot and Jacks big brother. The car was my #48D.
The car behind Bill's is the Model A #72 of Chuck Ryder.

Rapid 30..When Sam Sauer set the track record in 1967, the track had just been paved. You have to wonder if that car had been out on the wide tires, that you and I got to run later, how quick it would have been. He was giving up cubic inches to the Fords. Ralph Young was a genious.

Chris
Old 07-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
carc7

I remember the opening night of the 1967 Lakeside season very well. Heading into the evening, the track record was 13.02, owned by Billy Vaughan, in Les Kelly's #85. Reed Walker had told the crowd that they could expect big things that night, because in practice some guys were really hauling! Billy was the first to officially break into the 12's, with a 12.96. A few minutes later, Fritz Wilson came out with Bob McDowell's car and lowered it to 12.92. We Sammy Sauer fans were sweating it! But Sam came out, almost last (which he usually preferred, so he could see how hard he had to push) and lowered it finally to the 12.84, where it stayed for 9 years! This was the single-carbureted Plymouth straight 6. I do remember that over that summer, the top 3 cars (Sauer's #60, Fritz' #14, and Don Wilson's #19) were all torn down about 3 times! Always found legal, though. We went home shivering, because it was late April and it was damn COLD!
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
superstroke

Here are some other photos of Chris Ertlers Lakeside modifieds. Chris, I think the reason your cars were not remembered is the fact that the attendance during those years at Lakeside had fallen off from years before. People do not remember that I raced there either, if only for four years. Ask people about Dave Hayden, and sure, they heard about him. I do not even think that Hayden raced for two years..dunno, can't remember. The late 70's through about 85 were forgettable years for Lakeside Speedway fans, but some of the most remembered for myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chris ertler 29 car.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	440   Click image for larger version

Name:	chris ertler #93 pic#6.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	441   Click image for larger version

Name:	chris ertler #93 pic#7.JPG
Views:	332