Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Just want to shoot the breeze and fellowship? This is the place!

Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
VintageBuzz

Default Circa 1950s: Safety First

Did you or your parents help invent the first car seat for toddlers? Check out this circa 1950s car seat! ~VB

VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Re: Circa 1950s: Safety First

Since I'm older Buzz, I guess I should go back a little more with this one.
I actually got this from EBay.

Vintage 1930s-40s Child Infant Car Seat.

They must not have had an older car to show this one so they hung it on a fence.
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Heh-heh! The only "safety restraint" we had when I was little was my Mom's right arm knocking me back in the seat whenever she had to brake hard. Her '63 Corvair didn't have seat belts.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
carc7

I remember the first year I went to Lakeside. Betty Brown rolled her #77 coming out of the north turn. I looked at my Dad (I was almost seven) and asked him, "Why didn't she fall out of the roof?" He looked at me and answered, "She's got seat belts!" I looked blankly at him and asked, "What are seat belts?"

We've come a long way. Those first belts were US Army Air Corps WWII lap belts.

carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
superstroke

Speaking of the Brown family, here are photos of Bob Brown's hand-made, hand-tooled leather safety harness. Most all of that eras drivers wore these. I can remember, after winning a race, that particular driver would just unhook the harness from the roll-cage and crawl out still wearing the harness to receive his/her trophy. Pat Petrie comes to mind as one of those drivers. I forgot to mention that Bob made his seat from a 55 gallon drum. As he was cutting it out with the torch, I watched and LEARNED! It was made from galvanized metal and I got sick from smelling the fumes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6981.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	3027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6979.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	3028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6978.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	3029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6977.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	3030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6976.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	3031  

Rick Losh "Superstroke"
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
carc7

1959 fuel cell = beer keg with outlet pipe soldered in the bottom. Or a 5-gallon steel fuel can (like you see on the back of a Jeep) with said outlet pipe welded in!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
VintageBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstroke View Post
Speaking of the Brown family, here are photos of Bob Brown's hand-made, hand-tooled leather safety harness. Most all of that eras drivers wore these. I can remember, after winning a race, that particular driver would just unhook the harness from the roll-cage and crawl out still wearing the harness to receive his/her trophy. Pat Petrie comes to mind as one of those drivers. I forgot to mention that Bob made his seat from a 55 gallon drum. As he was cutting it out with the torch, I watched and LEARNED! It was made from galvanized metal and I got sick from smelling the fumes.
Why do we all enjoy ARM so much? Because anyone like me can start a thread, not get 'flamed' for subject matter, and in the process learn 'facts' like Olen, Jerry Lee, and superstroke just offered up to us. And carc7 brought back some great memories for me too concerning those vintage seats belts & the beer-keg and jerry-can fuel cells. Good stuff! ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Mitch G.

I remember sitting on the floor in the back seat, foot well area, of my folks 1963 Plymouth Savoy, with the transmission, drive shaft tunnel as the separation barrier from one of my siblings. However, my dad had mom drive the Plymouth, shortly after they bought it, to some place on west Colfax and had front and rear seat belts installed. When dad flipped his coupe at Lakeside Speedway in the mid 50's it turned him into a seat belt believer. Usually we were made to sit in the seats, belts fastened, but if we were bored, and bothering the driver, we we're allowed to unbuckle, and crawl around the back seat play pen. And guess what......me and my siblings are still alive!!!!!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
carc7

Road trip to Chicago every summer to see family (Mom and Dad moved out here in '48). Five kids; Chevy station wagon. Back seat folded down and we're all stretched out on blankets laid out about 5 deep. Back window down (if it's not raining or dark). Thank God my Dad was a great driver. He drove from age 12 to age 86 and never had an accident that was his fault or a ticket. I'll not be able to match that.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstroke View Post
Yeah, I remember seeing those guys "wearing" their belts/harness. Always thought it was a pretty clever design. Seemed like Pat never took his off!
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote