Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
TAMALE WAGON
Rookie

Default Williams Grove National Open 1973! IN LIVING COLOR TOO!

1973 Williams Grove Speedway's National Open when it was a 150 lap race, check out all the sites, sorry no sounds, thats Jack Gunn ( promoter ) interviewing winner Kenny Weld with car owner Bob Weikert ( cowboy hat ),
enjoy!

LEE GREENAWALT PHOTOGRAPHY
staff photographer for Gater News!

www.gaternews.com
TAMALE WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Williams Grove National Open 1973! IN LIVING COLOR TOO!

Lee, those are great shots!! Not the prettiest sprint cars I've seen, but the images sure capture the era. Who's in the #99, does not look physically like Jan Opperman? Gotta' love the open face helmets!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
TAMALE WAGON
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Lee, those are great shots!! Not the prettiest sprint cars I've seen, but the images sure capture the era. Who's in the #99, does not look physically like Jan Opperman? Gotta' love the open face helmets!
I'll have to do some research on that for you

www.gaternews.com
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
LittleFauss

...'TAMALE WAGON, this is a really great post! 'Beautiful pics! 'Even though I was 3,000 miles away, I was a HUGE Pennsylvania sprint car fan. Especially the early 70's when they were light-years ahead of every other sprint car group in the country as far as technology, creativity and equipment.

I agree with Mitch, that doesn't look like Opperman in the Bogar #99 car. BUT! If you look at the other pics, you'll see that there are obviously 2 Bogar cars that day. One, with a nose piece, the other, without. And they had different lettering on the hood.

I have the '76, '77 and '78 KARS Yearbooks but, would have to dig them out of my library. The #73 car is probably Kramer Williamson in his own "Pink Panther" car and the #1(a) car is suredly the great Bobby Allen. The #461 Dyer sprint car was a long-time competitor on the KARS circuit that later had the "brick" side panels on the top wing.

I recently had a great conversation with former Pennsylvania sprint car star, Randy Wolfe out on the west coast. Randy explained to me that the legendary promoter, Jack Gunn, was the brother of famous sprint car owner, Trim Gunnels. Trim owned the famous #25 car that many great Pennsy drivers drove for. One of those drivers was Jimmy Boyd from California, who used to spend his summers' back in Pennsylvania in the early seventies. At the end of this topic's very year, 1973, Jimmy Boyd brought his 1973 Charlie Lloyd-built sprint car out to the west coast right after that 1973 Williams Grove Open and lowered the track record at the Gold Cup Race of Champions in Sacramento (CA) by a whole second. Boyd also won the race that day with virtually no competition.

TAMALE WAGON, I sure hope you can post more pics of one of the greatest eras of sprint car racing, albeit the cars did have wings! But thank you for your efforts!

note: Also, when you check your notes; is the #69 car Jim Linder?
LittleFauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
TAMALE WAGON
Rookie

69 is Gus Linder...

www.gaternews.com
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Mitch G.

Lee, did you know Len Seroka? he raced for years around Pennsylvania, if my memory is correct, his rookie year in sprint cars was 1973, said he ran 88 race programs that year! He moved to Denver in 1982? that's when I met him. Interesting guy, built his own cars and engines. He ended up trying to run a Funny car with NHRA for several years, he passed away a few years ago.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
TAMALE WAGON
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
99X was Gary Howsare according to my info., there were 2 Bogar cars running that day, Jan was in the other 99.

www.gaternews.com