Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default ROGER MILLER-Retrospective

ROGER MILLER

by Jerry Lee McGuire

Roger Miller started his racing career in 1947 running Roadsters at Englewood Speedway and Midgets on the circuit. He earned the nickname “Hot Foot” early on in his career, but not by the way he wheeled a race car. The story goes that his Midget had caught fire, and after escaping and helping others put out the blaze, someone noticed that Roger was on fire from the knees down!

When Stockers became a way of life at Englewood in 1951, Roger was one of the first. He won the State Championship in 1953, then went on to become track champion in 1954 at Englewood Speedway with the Rocky Mountain Stock Car Racing Association.

(J.L.M. collection)Roger Miller stands next to his trademark blue and white #60 Stocker in 1953.
Note that the running boards and partial front fenders are still attached to this race car.

Roger earned the nickname “Chrome Dome” later in his career after then track announcer Andy Anderson noticed that the hair on Roger’s head was getting a bit sparse. Roger’s only superstition was not shaving on race day. “I’ve whiskered many trophy girls!” he was known to say with a laugh.

(J.L.M. collection) Roger Miller picks up another win at Englewood in the late ‘50’s.
It’s said that he used the same car for nine racing seasons.

Roger retired from racing in 1959, well, sort of. He was still an active member of the Rocky Mountain Dwarf Car Racing Association when he passed away on July 19, 2004.

(Photo by J. L. McGuire) Here’s a shot of Roger Miller’s last race car from 2004, still sporting his
trademark blue and white colors. Note “Old Man Moz” painted on the hood. Looks like Roger
inherited yet another nickname in his career.

Veteran driver Joe Lehman once noted that Roger Miller was probably one of the best dirt drivers there was.
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Thomas E

Default Re: ROGER MILLER-Retrospective

Another photo Bill Leigh gave to me. Roger Miller, Englewood Speedway. Roger looks like he is getting turned sideways. I'm sure somebody will remember the 50 car. I don't think it would an early Duckworth effort, but then again who knows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roger60.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	329  

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Itsahobby

Hi All,
My name is Jerry Hendrickson, my Dad use to pit for Rodger back in the 50's. My Dad was in the Navy back then.
My Father passed away on Dec. 4 2009 and I was looking through his old albums and found a couple of nice Photos of Rodger and my dad standing by some trophies and the car. I will try and post them up tonight.
I know this is a older post, but thought some of you may enjoy the pictures.
Thanks,
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olen McGuire View Post
ROGER MILLER

by Jerry Lee McGuire

Roger Miller started his racing career in 1947 running Roadsters at Englewood Speedway and Midgets on the circuit. He earned the nickname “Hot Foot” early on in his career, but not by the way he wheeled a race car. The story goes that his Midget had caught fire, and after escaping and helping others put out the blaze, someone noticed that Roger was on fire from the knees down!

When Stockers became a way of life at Englewood in 1951, Roger was one of the first. He won the State Championship in 1953, then went on to become track champion in 1954 at Englewood Speedway with the Rocky Mountain Stock Car Racing Association.

(J.L.M. collection)Roger Miller stands next to his trademark blue and white #60 Stocker in 1953.
Note that the running boards and partial front fenders are still attached to this race car.

Roger earned the nickname “Chrome Dome” later in his career after then track announcer Andy Anderson noticed that the hair on Roger’s head was getting a bit sparse. Roger’s only superstition was not shaving on race day. “I’ve whiskered many trophy girls!” he was known to say with a laugh.

(J.L.M. collection) Roger Miller picks up another win at Englewood in the late ‘50’s.
It’s said that he used the same car for nine racing seasons.

Roger retired from racing in 1959, well, sort of. He was still an active member of the Rocky Mountain Dwarf Car Racing Association when he passed away on July 19, 2004.

(Photo by J. L. McGuire) Here’s a shot of Roger Miller’s last race car from 2004, still sporting his
trademark blue and white colors. Note “Old Man Moz” painted on the hood. Looks like Roger
inherited yet another nickname in his career.

Veteran driver Joe Lehman once noted that Roger Miller was probably one of the best dirt drivers there was.
Itsahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Itsahobby

Hi All,
Here are the pictures.
Talked to my Mom last night, she told me again how much they enjoyed the races back then. The only thing she got scared about is when my Dad took the car out for practice and didn't ware a helmet. She said no one wore a helmet during practice. What an innocent world.
Dad:

Rodger:

Rodger and #60:

I hope you like them. I will see if I can dig up some more.
Jerry
Itsahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

These are neat Jerry, hope you find more! Nice to know that some of these old photos have survived and are starting to surface.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
BillyJean
Rookie

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsahobby View Post
Hi All,
Here are the pictures.
Talked to my Mom last night, she told me again how much they enjoyed the races back then. The only thing she got scared about is when my Dad took the car out for practice and didn't ware a helmet. She said no one wore a helmet during practice. What an innocent world.
Dad:

I hope you like them. I will see if I can dig up some more.
Jerry
Great set of pics. Love the classicness of them.
BillyJean is offline   Reply With Quote