Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
JimmyK

Default Minnesota & Upper Midwest sprint car history site

check out: http://www.gotomn.com/racing/history.html

Very good photos and stories of sprint car and modified racing from up here in the Nort' Land. Covers the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Minnesota & Upper Midwest sprint car history site

Great site, thanks for the lead Jimmy. In all my years of racing a couple of moments stand out, one in particular involves Roger Rager. I think it was 1972 at Colorado National Speedway, a 2 day BCRA sprint car show. Some how, Roger Rager ends up in this ugly crummy looking #2 sprint car, with a flat "roadster" type tail, we thought it was a piece of junk. In the main, probably a 30 lapper, and the likes of Buddy Taylor, Jon Backlund, Lonnie Jensen, Roy Bryant and others, off they go. Rager charges from the rear to the lead, we all have our mouth's hanging open, then he goes off the track between turns 3 and 4. Again, he charges from the back to the lead, only to sail off the banking again. Out of laps Rager charges back to the top 4 I don't remember for sure, all I can say is it was one of the most amazing drives I've ever seen in any kind of race car.

Here's Rager in the wierd sprinter #2, against Kieth Hightshoe (I think)
Nearly 40 years later me and my family, at the time living in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, travel to East Bay Raceway Park in Gibsonton, FL for a 2 day non wing 410 sprint show February of 2006. There is 60 year old Roger Rager, barely making the main, and you guessed it, starting last he charges up to the front and on the last lap and last corner nearly beats the "king of the non-wings", Cory Kruseman, Rager finished 2nd! I thought I'd gone back in time.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Here's a Roger Rager photo (By Bill Taylor) taken about 1999:

Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
JimmyK

I was lucky enough to race many, many laps against Roger. Some when he drove the Wookde 1w in the mid to late 80s. Then tons when he drove the Donahue 6r in Wissota competion. Here are a few shots from 2003. The first one is from Kasson MN. I had the lead in the feature and Roger was that close most of the first 12-15 laps. Then we both were dusted by Loren Langerud. Loren won, me 2nd, Roger 3rd.
Next was at ABC Speedway in Ashland, WI. Roger led most of the feature, but my car came on strong, this was my pass of Roger on the way to my feature win.
Last is a heat race from Brainerd, MN. We were racing for a transfer spot and battled for about 5 of the 8 laps. I finally edged him out. We both got the next guy and both transfered.
Racing with Roger made me a much better driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6Rrogerrager-2Kjimmykouba.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	578   Click image for larger version

Name:	AshlandPass.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	579   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCS Jimmy-Roger.jpg
Views:	153